View Poll Results: Which rivalry was better?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • WWF vs. The Alliance

1 10.00%
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart

9 90.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which rivalry was better: WWF'Alliance or Shawn Michaels/Bret Hart

Not gonna do a long write-up for this one right now (that will come later), but I will be posting the thread because I do want to get a couple more match-ups in today. I will say this however, this one is super close to me, and I didn't think it was going to be. After re-watching some of the promos and matches from the WWF/Alliance rivalry, it's become more clear to me why it was so popular back then and now. I love me some HBK vs Hart, but I will have to think on this one for a moment.
    WWE resigned Punk, and everything I've said has come true on these things, so WWE, keep Punk a badass face. He will become a legend if you do.

JBW is so good, even the most cynical member of the IWC couldn't complain about it. Check out or most recent shows here!

And join in on the discussion here. We will welcome you with open arms. Please join now by PMing me or WWTNA Mark!

Horror movie tournament final: The Shining vs. Silence of the Lambs vs. Halloween...coming very soon.

Blog Entries
    HBK/Hart was definitely a one of a kind feud obviously due to it being a REAL one! I liked the Invasion angle but HBK/Hart takes the whole damn cake!

Blog Entries
    The WWF vs the Alliance angle was awesome because of its magnitude, and the number of big stars who were involved. SSCA was amazing in it, but I feel that HBK vs Bret Hart was that much better. It had a hell of alot of history, the top 2 superstars IMO at that point in time, and they both delivered the best matches possible. The element of realness really made this rivalry stick out in my mind as one of the best ever. So for me, HBK vs Bret Hart

They screwed up the whole Invasion/Alliance angle so bad by having people flip flop more than a politician. Bret and Shawn legitimately disliked each other so it made it all the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ PUNK View Post
    I'll third that. Angelina looks like a heroin addict. Her skin is more leathery than Hogans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poot-Hair View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; Instead of Chyna concentrating on getting back into wrestling she needs to concentrate on getting that 8 inch she-bean that she has hanging between her legs removed...

Moderator "The Trinity" Kashdinero's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Alliance v WWF was one of the biggest squandered opportunities in the history of wrestling!!

Allow me to explain why I feel like this.

The complete lack of major WCW main eventer's. Vince claimed that the cost of bringing in guys like Goldberg, Scott Stiener, The Outsiders, Ric Flair and Sother's, who were all under highly paid contract with AOL, was too high... Too high? The Invasion PPV pulled a massive buyrate, even by the WWF's then lofty standards, and that was with just a couple of topline WCW stars. Imagine what the numbers would have been if Vinnie, at the risk of upsetting guys like The Rock and Austin, had bought out more of the WCW's main guys. Whom he eventually brought in one by one anyway (once their contracts had ended).

The portrayal of DDP as a stalker and his subsequent burial at the hands of the Undertaker! why the fuck would Page, who had a smoking hot wife in Kimberly, stalk the Butt Fugly Sara? Senseless.....

When the ECW guys joined up with the WCW guys it was a MARK OUT MOMENT if ever I saw one. Then they rolled out the ultra annoying Stephanie and I did the Undertaker eye roll. Although I should have seen it coming a mile off, what with Shane being the "owner" of WCW. From that point on it became a McMahon Family Affair! It completley undermined both (ex) companies performers.

Speaking of undermining.... As much as I (eventually) loved Stone Cold as a heel, when he joined/took over the Alliance it's members were instantly devalued. Any true ECW fan who remembers the treatment of Taz during this period must have been as frustrated as I was.

Though The Alliance were booked strongly before and during the Invasion PPV, they (apart from SCSA of course) were soon made to look completely inferior to the WWF SuperStars. With the exception of RVD who, completely shocked management and, was instantly over with WWF's Sheeple (told you I was stealing that Rich!). By the time SummerSlam came about the Invader's were seen as nothing more than an annoyance to guys like Angle, The Rock and Taker & Kane. The Buyrate for SS was nothing compared to Invasion.... Which is ludicrous when you think about it. Mercifully the whole thing was put to sleep at Survivor Series, whose end result was made painfully obvious when Vince stated live on Raw that he'd "had it with this Alliance Crap!!!"

The whole thing went from being a potentially wonderful series between The Big Three of the late 90's to an overly long and disheartening WWF/McMahon storyline!

Don't get me wrong. There were numerous Diamonds to be found in the Rough, but Vinnie Mac well and truly dropped the ball on that one..... It was eerily similar to what happened when Crocket promotions procured the UWF from Bill Watts back in 1988, the UWF at the time had a huge amount of stars that could of been perceived as a threat to Crockets top guys. Instead Dusty's ego had The Crockett mid-careers defeat most of the top UWF guys and pretty much ruined a perfect opportunity for a stellar interpromotional series between the two companies.... Eerily similar ; )

Shawn v Bret on the other hand was riveting to watch in the ring and to read about the backstage dramas.
    Opposite sides of the same coin, these two had very similar paths to the top of the WWF ladder but, character wise, they couldn't be further apart from each other if they were on different continents. The matches they had mostly (Mania XII snoozefest aside) put a smile on this fans face. I absolutely loved their match at Survivor Series '92. The explosive ending to this feud (at Survivor Series '97 for those living under a rock) and the, years long, name calling and accusations that followed only added more depth to this legendary war of hated rivals. The Handshake and Hug that ended it was a nice touch too.... This feud is gonna take some beating in this tournament, for sure.

For the record: Shawn was my favourite of the two while I was growing up.

Whew!!!
    Ma$$Dinero... We're shootin' now, bruv!

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Kash; calling it 4 years before Robbie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Bodom is our John Cena.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dismal Jester View Post
    I hate you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    #KashBrokeMyBrain
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilsAdvocate View Post
    Nerds are awesome though!
    Are you going for some kind of sig quote world record?
    You can choke on a big bag of dicks, good sir.

#FreeBodom

Blog Entries
    P.S I take back what I said about the choice of tournament. It's been quite fun so far!! Now that I've gotten over the fact that so many great feuds never made it in.

Well Done!!

Bodom is our John Cena.
    I hate you.
    #KashBrokeMyBrain

#FreeBodom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashdinero View Post
    The Alliance v WWF was one of the biggest squandered opportunities in the history of wrestling!!

Allow me to explain why I feel like this.

The complete lack of major WCW main eventer's. Vince claimed that the cost of bringing in guys like Goldberg, Scott Stiener, The Outsiders, Ric Flair and Sother's, who were all under highly paid contract with AOL, was too high... Too high? The Invasion PPV pulled a massive buyrate, even by the WWF's then lofty standards, and that was with just a couple of topline WCW stars. Imagine what the numbers would have been if Vinnie, at the risk of upsetting guys like The Rock and Austin, had bought out more of the WCW's main guys. Whom he eventually brought in one by one anyway (once their contracts had ended).

The portrayal of DDP as a stalker and his subsequent burial at the hands of the Undertaker! why the fuck would Page, who had a smoking hot wife in Kimberly, stalk the Butt Fugly Sara? Senseless.....

When the ECW guys joined up with the WCW guys it was a MARK OUT MOMENT if ever I saw one. Then they rolled out the ultra annoying Stephanie and I did the Undertaker eye roll. Although I should have seen it coming a mile off, what with Shane being the "owner" of WCW. From that point on it became a McMahon Family Affair! It completley undermined both (ex) companies performers.

Speaking of undermining.... As much as I (eventually) loved Stone Cold as a heel, when he joined/took over the Alliance it's members were instantly devalued. Any true ECW fan who remembers the treatment of Taz during this period must have been as frustrated as I was.

Though The Alliance were booked strongly before and during the Invasion PPV, they (apart from SCSA of course) were soon made to look completely inferior to the WWF SuperStars. With the exception of RVD who, completely shocked management and, was instantly over with WWF's Sheeple (told you I was stealing that Rich!). By the time SummerSlam came about the Invader's were seen as nothing more than an annoyance to guys like Angle, The Rock and Taker & Kane. The Buyrate for SS was nothing compared to Invasion.... Which is ludicrous when you think about it. Mercifully the whole thing was put to sleep at Survivor Series, whose end result was made painfully obvious when Vince stated live on Raw that he'd "had it with this Alliance Crap!!!"

The whole thing went from being a potentially wonderful series between The Big Three of the late 90's to an overly long and disheartening WWF/McMahon storyline!

Don't get me wrong. There were numerous Diamonds to be found in the Rough, but Vinnie Mac well and truly dropped the ball on that one..... It was eerily similar to what happened when Crocket promotions procured the UWF from Bill Watts back in 1988, the UWF at the time had a huge amount of stars that could of been perceived as a threat to Crockets top guys. Instead Dusty's ego had The Crockett mid-careers defeat most of the top UWF guys and pretty much ruined a perfect opportunity for a stellar interpromotional series between the two companies.... Eerily similar ; )

Shawn v Bret on the other hand was riveting to watch in the ring and to read about the backstage dramas.
    Opposite sides of the same coin, these two had very similar paths to the top of the WWF ladder but, character wise, they couldn't be further apart from each other if they were on different continents. The matches they had mostly (Mania XII snoozefest aside) put a smile on this fans face. I absolutely loved their match at Survivor Series '92. The explosive ending to this feud (at Survivor Series '97 for those living under a rock) and the, years long, name calling and accusations that followed only added more depth to this legendary war of hated rivals. The Handshake and Hug that ended it was a nice touch too.... This feud is gonna take some beating in this tournament, for sure.

For the record: Shawn was my favourite of the two while I was growing up.

Whew!!!
    Good Lord that was a long post! I don't think anyone could explain it better than you just did.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brown One View Post
    Good Lord that was a long post! I don't think anyone could explain it better than you just did.
    Thanks dude!

Not bad for a guy who (regrettably) left school at 15, eh!
    I guess I'm kinda passionate about the Invasion Fiasco!

Bodom is our John Cena.
    I hate you.
    #KashBrokeMyBrain

#FreeBodom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashdinero View Post
    Thanks dude!

Not bad for a guy who (regrettably) left school at 15, eh!
    I guess I'm kinda passionate about the Invasion Fiasco!
    I swear you must have been good in English or something lol. That right there was a bloody page long essay!

Blog Entries
    The fact that HBK vs Hart was real and that real emotion was put into the feud, it gets my vote. WWF vs the Alliance was great tv to watch too thoug, but it doesn't beat HBK vs Hart in my book.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!