Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Chris Jericho is the only active veteran that "gets it".

I've heard alot of mixed reactions about the possible Jericho vs. Fandango match at WrestleMania 29. How this is a waste of time. How Fandango dosen't deserve this match for his re-debut. How Jericho should be put in a title picture or a high profile match instead. How Jericho is being buried by the company.

But in my opinion, the word "burial" is overused like a motherfucker by the IWC. Has it ever occured to anyone that Jericho has no problem putting Fandango over? Because honestly, he shouldn't anyways.

Of all the veterans combined that have been around since the 1990s, Jericho seems to be the only guy that "gets it". By "getting it", I mean he fully understands that sports entertainment is a young man's game. Always has been. Always will be. Or at least it's supposed to be.

A WWE Superstar is supposed to be at the peak of his career in his 20s and 30s. That's when he's supposed to be concerned about winning titles, going over, headlining PPVs, and making a name for himself. And they have the 10-20 year period in their prime to do so.

Once that guy hits 40, his career is supposed to start winding down. He's reached that point where title reigns and title shots no longer matter. Where going over is pointless. Where wins and losses are meaningless. He should understand that his best days are behind him, and it's time to start giving the next generation a chance. So what does he do? One of 3 things:

1. Retire
    2. Take up a non-wrestling role in the business.
    3. Continue wrestling, but mainly put others over.

All options eventually lead to #1, but Jericho still likes to wrestle, so I'm assuming he's chosen #3 for now.

Which is fine, because EVERY SINGLE WRESTLER BEYOND THE AGE OF 40, IN BOTH WWE AND TNA, SHOULD BE DOING WHAT JERICHO IS DOING. Period. And unfortunately, they're not. You've got The Rock holding WWE's biggest title. You've got The Dudley Boys holding TNA's two biggest titles. Chavo Guerrero is still gunning for the TNA Tag Team Championship. Brock Lesnar is talking about getting another WWE title shot. The Undertaker's streak is apparently endless. Hulk Hogan is still gets the most air-time.

It's still not as bad in WWE as it is in TNA, but by God, it's gotten alot closer in the past 2 years.

So bottom line, if Jericho faces Fandango at Mania, he'll probably lose. But win or lose, he's still the immortal, loved and respected, Y2 fucking J. If you have a problem with the match, don't look at it as a burial and unfair treatment, look at it putting someone else over and doing his job correctly.

If the majority of his generation were doing the same, professional wrestling would be alot better right now.

Okay, I'm done.
    Last edited by Jack Newport; 03-23-2013 at 04:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    I agree. But it's a fan problem, not a wrestler problem. Jericho isn't the only one. Kane, Big Show, they'll put a younger guy over and will do even more when they're really retiring. I'll bet Christian will too, when he returns. They'll make Rey put over Sin Cara (or El Generico, ole).

Even Orton is putting guys over at the moment, much to the dismay of everyone who has been bitching for ten years how he's only burying guys.
    Chris Jericho: 'Without a storyline, wrestling is just two guys in their underwear rolling around half naked.'

Black Ninja!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Newport View Post
    I've heard alot of mixed reactions about the possible Jericho vs. Fandango match at WrestleMania 29. How this is a waste of time. How Fandango dosen't deserve this match for his re-debut. How Jericho should be put in a title picture or a high profile match instead. How Jericho is being buried by the company.

But in my opinion, the word "burial" is overused like a motherfucker by the IWC. Has it ever occured to anyone that Jericho has no problem putting Fandango over? Because honestly, he shouldn't anyways.

Of all the veterans combined that have been around since the 1990s, Jericho seems to be the only guy that "gets it". By "getting it", I mean he fully understands that sports entertainment is a young man's game. Always has been. Always will be. Or at least it's supposed to be.

A WWE Superstar is supposed to be at the peak of his career in his 20s and 30s. That's when he's supposed to be concerned about winning titles, going over, headlining PPVs, and making a name for himself. And they have the 10-20 year period in their prime to do so.

Once that guy hits 40, his career is supposed to start winding down. He's reached that point where title reigns and title shots no longer matter. Where going over is pointless. Where wins and losses are meaningless. He should understand that his best days are behind him, and it's time to start giving the next generation a chance. So what does he do? One of 3 things:

1. Retire
    2. Take up a non-wrestling role in the business.
    3. Continue wrestling, but mainly put others over.

All options eventually lead to #1, but Jericho still likes to wrestle, so I'm assuming he's chosen #3 for now.

Which is fine, because EVERY SINGLE WRESTLER BEYOND THE AGE OF 40, IN BOTH WWE AND TNA, SHOULD BE DOING WHAT JERICHO IS DOING. Period. And unfortunately, they're not. You've got The Rock holding WWE's biggest title. You've got The Dudley Boys holding TNA's two biggest titles. Chavo Guerrero is still gunning for the TNA Tag Team Championship. Brock Lesnar is talking about getting another WWE title shot. The Undertaker's streak is apparently endless. Hulk Hogan is still gets the most air-time.

It's still not as bad in WWE as it is in TNA, but by God, it's gotten alot closer in the past 2 years.

So bottom line, if Jericho faces Fandango at Mania, he'll probably lose. But win or lose, he's still the immortal, loved and respected, Y2 fucking J. If you have a problem with the match, don't look at it as a burial and unfair treatment, look at it putting someone else over and doing his job correctly.

If the majority of his generation were doing the same, professional wrestling would be alot better right now.

Okay, I'm done.
    To think I almost had to be the one to write this. Too many words for my liking, but perfectly sums it up. Jericho is awesome for even hinting at putting over a young guy at the biggest show.

Agree with your little rant. I think a lot of negativity is not really from Jericho losing it's to who he might be losing to that is the problem with some people. Maybe if Fandango actually wrestled a few matches and had some better buildup leading into Mania more people would take a liking to this. Me personally, I never been a fan of Johnny Curtis/Fandango so I try not to take that into consideration that's just my personal preference so to say. But if Jericho were to put Fandango over that's great for him and I'm sure WWE will be doing something good for Fandango one of the newer talents in the WWE, and we can't really complain since many of us want to see the newer/younger talent get pushed.

So for me personally I wouldn't complain about it, but I'm no fan of Fandango nor will I probably ever be.

I agree, putting over young talent is good, to bad fandango isn't talent ...

Black Ninja!
    Quote Originally Posted by grave View Post
    Pure bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by grave View Post
    You're entitled to your own opinion on who is good or bad. But it's putting over the next generation in general. Fandango is part of that.

I agree 100%. Correct me if Im wrong, but Y2J has not won one PPV match since his return.

When he wrestles, its entertaining, no matter who hes in the ring with.

I obviously cannot disagree but sometime putting a title on an older guy can be good if they are going to lose it to a younger guy. Not saying Punk is part of this generation but look what beating Cena for the belt did for him a year or so ago. Cena put over Punk on a huge stage, for a belt, and Punk became one of the top full-time names in the company. I wouldn't mind if Jericho won a belt here and there to put over younger talent on big stages.

In TNA I feel that's what should happen with Bully and Devon. It's only a matter of time before A&E holds all the belts. When they lose them it needs to be at BFG to young guys. If not, is there really a point?

Quote Originally Posted by YOUcanCALLmeCRACK View Post
    In TNA I feel that's what should happen with Bully and Devon. It's only a matter of time before A&E holds all the belts. When they lose them it needs to be at BFG to young guys. If not, is there really a point?
    Devon has no fucking excuse. His first TV title reign was the longest in history, and there was no reason for him to win it back. He's one of the poster boys for what I described in the OP.
    Last edited by Jack Newport; 03-23-2013 at 08:59 AM.