View Poll Results: Which rivalry was better?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ric Flair vs. Sting

0 0%
  • Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart

6 100.00%

Which rivalry was better: Ric Flair-Sting or Bret Hart-Owen Hart?

Hey everyone, back again with another first round match-up, and this one features two classics: Bret vs. Owen and Flair vs. Sting. Both rivalries featured two established vets (Flair and Bret) putting over two young guys (Sting and Owen) straight away to the main event seen...or at least what should have been the main event for Owen, but that's another story. This is my kinda match-up too, because both rivalries consisted of technicians going to war with one another.

Here is what is undoubtedly Sting v Flair's greatest match for the NWA championship back in 1988:

part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puy5U..._order&list=UL

part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hQR..._order&list=UL

part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxpi8..._order&list=UL

part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8a0t..._order&list=UL

Here is one of the only WWF matches that Meitzer gave 5 stars to. This was probably the best steel cage match of all time and it occurred during the epicenter of the Owen/Bret feud:

part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHtVk..._order&list=UL

part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dxrA..._order&list=UL

part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwoSx..._order&list=UL

part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX-Iz..._order&list=UL

My opinion:

Wrestling edge: Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart. This one was close, as both rivalries featured some quality matches to say the least, but I really think Owen and Bret's matches were just slightly better as a whole.

Promo edge: Bret Hart vs Owen Hart. Again, this was pretty close, as Flair v Sting had some great storylines attached to it, but for my money you just can't beat how Owen was so passionate and so believable that he really made you think every word coming out of his mouth was true. This was a very emotion-ridden story that played itself out and I think it raised the bar on storylines everywhere. MATT AND JEFF: THIS IS HOW YOU"RE SUPPOSED TO DO BROTHER V BROTHER!!!

Longevity: Flair vs. Sting. As good as Owen vs. Bret was, it only lasted for about a year, year and a half tops, and Flair vs. Sting carried a promotion for years.

"Holy shit," moments: Owen vs. Bret. Neither of the rivalries matches were huge spot fests by any means (although Owen going over Bret at WM 10 was a "holy shit" moment for me) but the storyline of Owen vs. Bret was more of a "holy shit" moment than Sting/Flair's storyline in my opinion.

Impact edge: Flair vs. Sting. I added a new one to the "my opinion" portion of these threads, and I think it fits perfectly here. As I said earlier, Flair vs. Sting absolutely carried NWA/WCW for a while, and I don't think WCW would have reached the success it did w.o them.

Overall: Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart. Maybe I'm a bit biased due to the fact that I wasn't around for the Sting/Flair storyline at it's most relevance like I was for Owen/Bret, but I think what Owen and Bret did was masterful, and I think it should have culminated in Owen winning the WWF title for his superb effort during this feud.
    WWE resigned Punk, and everything I've said has come true on these things, so WWE, keep Punk a badass face. He will become a legend if you do.

JBW is so good, even the most cynical member of the IWC couldn't complain about it. Check out or most recent shows here!

And join in on the discussion here. We will welcome you with open arms. Please join now by PMing me or WWTNA Mark!

Horror movie tournament final: The Shining vs. Silence of the Lambs vs. Halloween...coming very soon.

Moderator "The Trinity" Kashdinero's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is a close one indeed!

Bret v Owen was masterfully built up over a long period of time (as all great feuds should be). Bret and Owen played their roles perfectly.... Loved the fact that Bret at first refused to face his younger jealous sibling.
    By the time they finally locked horns at wrestlemania X I was beyond excited.
    I was completely shocked when Owen won their fantastic match in the best match of the night! (yeah, I said it).
    Their cage match at Summer Slam 94 was something to behold as well. The realism in that Blue Barred Brawl has yet to be repeated in a cage match in WWF/E.

The build up to Sting v Flair was also perfectly executed. The young up an comer v the aging veteran had been done before, and has been done since, but its never captured my attention like Flair and Sting, the thing is though, I only followed this feud through VHS and magazines so I never really got the full effect of it. The longevity factor should have won this for me but, apart from their earlier matches, the quality of their collisions was just above mediocre at best. After Flair's marvellous 1989 things could only go downhill for him in the great matches department.

Its not a clear cut victory but Owen v Bret takes this one based on the two matches I've previously mentioned.
    Ma$$Dinero... We're shootin' now, bruv!

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Kash; calling it 4 years before Robbie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Bodom is our John Cena.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dismal Jester View Post
    I hate you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    #KashBrokeMyBrain
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilsAdvocate View Post
    Nerds are awesome though!
    Are you going for some kind of sig quote world record?

#FreeBodom

Blog Entries
    I'm going with Owen vs Bret on this one, based on the wrestling matches. Owen and Bret always had wonderful matches in the ring, and chemistry together. And as KD said, those 2 matches were epic.

Moderator "The Trinity" Kashdinero's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brown One View Post
    I'm going with Owen vs Bret on this one, based on the wrestling matches. Owen and Bret always had wonderful matches in the ring, and chemistry together. And as KD said, those 2 matches were epic.
    Their first match at mania was dungeon wrestling at it's finest. The cage match was off the hook! The speed at which Owen tried to escape the cage made things that much more believable.
    Ma$$Dinero... We're shootin' now, bruv!

Kash; calling it 4 years before Robbie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Bodom is our John Cena.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dismal Jester View Post
    I hate you.
    #KashBrokeMyBrain
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilsAdvocate View Post
    Nerds are awesome though!
    Are you going for some kind of sig quote world record?

#FreeBodom

Hearts all the way on this one theres nothing i can say that hasnt already been said
    Bastard........
    Did you just troll me? That's so not cool man!

Owen vs. Bret officially takes this one by a score of 6-0. No offense to Flair/Sting, but I really think we made the right choice on this one. Congratulations to ya Bret/Owen!
    WWE resigned Punk, and everything I've said has come true on these things, so WWE, keep Punk a badass face. He will become a legend if you do.

JBW is so good, even the most cynical member of the IWC couldn't complain about it. Check out or most recent shows here!

And join in on the discussion here. We will welcome you with open arms. Please join now by PMing me or WWTNA Mark!

Horror movie tournament final: The Shining vs. Silence of the Lambs vs. Halloween...coming very soon.

You all must be too young to have seen the Sting-Flair fued to have voted for the harts. Nothing against the harts, but the first Flair-sting match was one of the most watched matches ever and made Sting a star overnight. The fued lasted over a decade and is still talked about to this day.
    The silverback alpha male needs no signature

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdogg4 View Post
    You all must be too young to have seen the Sting-Flair fued to have voted for the harts. Nothing against the harts, but the first Flair-sting match was one of the most watched matches ever and made Sting a star overnight. The fued lasted over a decade and is still talked about to this day.
    All i remember about sting flair fued was when sting returned to wcw and was invicable, everything flair did sting just laughed at which really spoiled it for me
    Bastard........
    Did you just troll me? That's so not cool man!

It's fairly close for me, but there isn't much that can beat two Harts going at it in the ring!! It was a great rivalry that elevated Owen. Sting vs Flair is one of the all time greats, but Bret vs Owen gets my vote.

the fact that the Sting-flair fued elevated Sting to a main eventer and multi time world champ and poor ownen got stuck in the midcard after the hart fued was over is a strong arguement.
    The silverback alpha male needs no signature