Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Black Ninja!
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Shovel Shop
    Posts
    14,577
    Quote Originally Posted by bearkg88 View Post
    All right so im a fat guy, and as we all know fat people love food, so im going to use food as a metaphor for my point. Ok.

    Ok so a promo is a cake. Good on its own, but doesnt do much for ya by itself. Icing is the show. Icing on its own is good, but again, no point. Now when you take the cake and icing and combine them, you get something amazing, much like weekly shows with good promos. Now, ICing, is like the sprinkles and cookie crumbles that go on and around the cake. Do you have to have it? No. Does it make the whole thing better? I think so.

    Hopefully you follow my logic
    IC'ing should have been the Icing... Start over

  2. #12
    But bear, not all cakes would be great with icing- an Angel Food cake, a Rum Cake, etc..... But i get what you are saying with your anology lol. That said, not everyone really needs to do it for whatever reason being- lack of time, not wanting to use material that they would otherwise use in promo, just wanting to be mysterious etc. But like has been stated in this thread ICing could lead to storylines/feuds- thats whats happening with Scribbs, Southern Blood and myself in one efed- lots of IC stuff back and forth

    Rest in Peace Eva "Ezra"


    ^
    ah, Renee Young


  3. #13
    Black Ninja! BennyTheBall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    6,152
    Blog Entries
    2
    IC'ing is optional.

    It's fun. It's good to watch good IC'ing and annoying to watch bad IC'ing. Same goes with shows and promos. It is a factor on who feuds with who, what direction a feud goes, and who gets a push, but it is not THE deciding factor.

    It's a simple equation that has been blown out of proportion: do you want to IC? Great. Not fancy it? Well, that's great too.


    Benny The Ball's Teddy is here to fuck you up...

    ...and then steal your girl!

    #BennysTeddy

     

  4. #14
    The Trinity Torphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    2,808
    I've already said what I wanted to say on the matter and got a little worked up about the response I got, so i'm going to have another go in the hopes that it doesn't devolve into another sledging match.

    Do I feel that IC'ing is an essential part of fedding, should those who do it be rewarded greater than those who don't? No, I don't think so on both accounts. I liked Bears analogy about the icing, sprinkles etc to some it's a nice added extra, but to others like myself the cake (or the promo) is enough. I see the benefits to IC'ing, I do, as a couple have indicated it's a good way to give creative an idea of who to feud, it's also a good way to interact with other characters. But the scale and lengths to which some people go to, for lack of a better word, is boring to me.

    B-Mac hit the nail on the head when stating that some of the stuff that comes out is 'poop', because it's just a few one liners that in the grand scheme of things are inconsequential to me. I feel some people do become intimidated by those who put a little effort in, who choose to put some thought into what they say are write a couple paragraphs or so, most likely because a lot of people do see this as a competition to be the best. Which in my opinion is why we see so many drawn out IC conversations consisting of one or two sentences per post that don't end up going anywhere, this isn't REAL character development surely?

    I for one would feel much more inclined to read and get involved if there was more effort and planning put into these exchanges, if people elaborated on the points of view and gave a good descriptive account of what they actually meant. When I read a sentence along the lines of:

    Generic Wrestler: I'm here at the arena, where is everyone!? Are you too afraid to fight me!? Rawr.

    I just shrug and move on because that doesn't engage me, it doesn't enrich me at all so I don't feel inclined to involve myself. Sometimes I look at 2-3 pages of the same two people just exchanging sentence after sentence after sentence and I can't help but feel this is some strange hardcore roleplaying session going on.

    Returning to my point about people seeing IC work as a chance to get one over on a potential opponent through the use of snappy one liners or insults about grammar or language, that just puts me off even more. Where's the team work? Why aren't people helping each other get over? Why is all of this stuff oriented towards one single minded goal to being recognised as the victor in this particular verbal joust? If people collaborated a little bit more and gave me something truly interesting that is worth reading, then I might see IC'ing as a more valid method of expression to get your name about a little.

    And if that's not good enough then sentence me to 40 lashes.
     
    Efed stuff that doesn't matter

    1 x IWA World Heavyweight Champion - Malcolm Adonis

    Current WWE World Heavyweight Champion - Dean Ambrose

    1 x EWNCW Tag Team Champion - Malcolm Adonis w/ Kyojin

    Current No 1 Contender to the EWNCW Title - Arthur Lansdale

    I lied, it matters.




    "Tell me.. what is insane about wanting to create perfection? I'd be crazy not to." - Jarvis Cole

  5. #15
    Black Ninja! Tommy Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    25,063
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Torphy View Post
    I've already said what I wanted to say on the matter and got a little worked up about the response I got, so i'm going to have another go in the hopes that it doesn't devolve into another sledging match.

    Do I feel that IC'ing is an essential part of fedding, should those who do it be rewarded greater than those who don't? No, I don't think so on both accounts. I liked Bears analogy about the icing, sprinkles etc to some it's a nice added extra, but to others like myself the cake (or the promo) is enough. I see the benefits to IC'ing, I do, as a couple have indicated it's a good way to give creative an idea of who to feud, it's also a good way to interact with other characters. But the scale and lengths to which some people go to, for lack of a better word, is boring to me.

    B-Mac hit the nail on the head when stating that some of the stuff that comes out is 'poop', because it's just a few one liners that in the grand scheme of things are inconsequential to me. I feel some people do become intimidated by those who put a little effort in, who choose to put some thought into what they say are write a couple paragraphs or so, most likely because a lot of people do see this as a competition to be the best. Which in my opinion is why we see so many drawn out IC conversations consisting of one or two sentences per post that don't end up going anywhere, this isn't REAL character development surely?

    I for one would feel much more inclined to read and get involved if there was more effort and planning put into these exchanges, if people elaborated on the points of view and gave a good descriptive account of what they actually meant. When I read a sentence along the lines of:

    Generic Wrestler: I'm here at the arena, where is everyone!? Are you too afraid to fight me!? Rawr.

    I just shrug and move on because that doesn't engage me, it doesn't enrich me at all so I don't feel inclined to involve myself. Sometimes I look at 2-3 pages of the same two people just exchanging sentence after sentence after sentence and I can't help but feel this is some strange hardcore roleplaying session going on.

    Returning to my point about people seeing IC work as a chance to get one over on a potential opponent through the use of snappy one liners or insults about grammar or language, that just puts me off even more. Where's the team work? Why aren't people helping each other get over? Why is all of this stuff oriented towards one single minded goal to being recognised as the victor in this particular verbal joust? If people collaborated a little bit more and gave me something truly interesting that is worth reading, then I might see IC'ing as a more valid method of expression to get your name about a little.

    And if that's not good enough then sentence me to 40 lashes.
    I agree that IC work isn't always utilized by a lot in the way it should be. Like you said, one liners about how someone's grammar is not right or whatever isn't character development.
    IC work is an opportunity for people to develop their characters. Whether or not they chose to utilize it as such is up to them, because they aren't doing it by throwing down stupid pointless one liners, and I'm not going to give anyone brownie points for utilizing it in such a way.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!


  6. #16
    Black Ninja! K2Jelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Crying My Eyes Out About Everything
    Posts
    16,426
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Torphy View Post
    I've already said what I wanted to say on the matter and got a little worked up about the response I got, so i'm going to have another go in the hopes that it doesn't devolve into another sledging match.

    Do I feel that IC'ing is an essential part of fedding, should those who do it be rewarded greater than those who don't? No, I don't think so on both accounts. I liked Bears analogy about the icing, sprinkles etc to some it's a nice added extra, but to others like myself the cake (or the promo) is enough. I see the benefits to IC'ing, I do, as a couple have indicated it's a good way to give creative an idea of who to feud, it's also a good way to interact with other characters. But the scale and lengths to which some people go to, for lack of a better word, is boring to me.
    I agree with this entirely. As for me and IC'ing, although there are instances where I enjoy IC'ing, even if it's frivolous and flippant at best, I sometimes feel like there's a gun pointed to my head if I don't muster up something to show people that I "care about the fed". There are benefits, such as feud development but it shouldn't decide who gets ahead on top. I'm not going to mention any names or anything but there always seems to be the same, monotonous and boring IC'ing coming from the same people with no innovation whatsoever and I just want to avoid it entirely. I'll name an instance for you where I dreaded IC'ing with every fiber of my being; the IWA Battle Royal for Destined for Immortality. Oh. My. Fucking. God. That gave me a goddamn headache. I'd always have to drop by and see what people were saying and then try to one up them every hour on the hour. I didn't enjoy any of it and the only reason why I wanted to try was because a win is a win and it's beneficial to your characters. I almost feel guilty of winning because down the road because I wasn't doing anything much different except for Kayfab's blogs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Torphy View Post
    B-Mac hit the nail on the head when stating that some of the stuff that comes out is 'poop', because it's just a few one liners that in the grand scheme of things are inconsequential to me. I feel some people do become intimidated by those who put a little effort in, who choose to put some thought into what they say are write a couple paragraphs or so, most likely because a lot of people do see this as a competition to be the best. Which in my opinion is why we see so many drawn out IC conversations consisting of one or two sentences per post that don't end up going anywhere, this isn't REAL character development surely?

    I for one would feel much more inclined to read and get involved if there was more effort and planning put into these exchanges, if people elaborated on the points of view and gave a good descriptive account of what they actually meant. When I read a sentence along the lines of:

    Generic Wrestler: I'm here at the arena, where is everyone!? Are you too afraid to fight me!? Rawr.

    I just shrug and move on because that doesn't engage me, it doesn't enrich me at all so I don't feel inclined to involve myself. Sometimes I look at 2-3 pages of the same two people just exchanging sentence after sentence after sentence and I can't help but feel this is some strange hardcore roleplaying session going on.

    Returning to my point about people seeing IC work as a chance to get one over on a potential opponent through the use of snappy one liners or insults about grammar or language, that just puts me off even more. Where's the team work? Why aren't people helping each other get over? Why is all of this stuff oriented towards one single minded goal to being recognised as the victor in this particular verbal joust? If people collaborated a little bit more and gave me something truly interesting that is worth reading, then I might see IC'ing as a more valid method of expression to get your name about a little.

    And if that's not good enough then sentence me to 40 lashes.
    That turns me off as well and again, I feel it's like because IC'ing gives off the impressions that "he who laughs last laughs best" so you won't be seeing people just want to quit because they HAVE to "win" in order to get over. I've been a part of it myself and for the very same reason but that's only because I felt that it would give me a huge payoff in the end and for some cases, it does. For me, promos come first and that's the reason why you and no1_eddiefan are my favorite efedders here. You don't need to constantly IC just to get over. Your promos do the job by themselves.


  7. #17
    Black Ninja! No_1eddiefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    8,790
    Quote Originally Posted by K2Jelly View Post
    I agree with this entirely. As for me and IC'ing, although there are instances where I enjoy IC'ing, even if it's frivolous and flippant at best, I sometimes feel like there's a gun pointed to my head if I don't muster up something to show people that I "care about the fed". There are benefits, such as feud development but it shouldn't decide who gets ahead on top. I'm not going to mention any names or anything but there always seems to be the same, monotonous and boring IC'ing coming from the same people with no innovation whatsoever and I just want to avoid it entirely. I'll name an instance for you where I dreaded IC'ing with every fiber of my being; the IWA Battle Royal for Destined for Immortality. Oh. My. Fucking. God. That gave me a goddamn headache. I'd always have to drop by and see what people were saying and then try to one up them every hour on the hour. I didn't enjoy any of it and the only reason why I wanted to try was because a win is a win and it's beneficial to your characters. I almost feel guilty of winning because down the road because I wasn't doing anything much different except for Kayfab's blogs.



    That turns me off as well and again, I feel it's like because IC'ing gives off the impressions that "he who laughs last laughs best" so you won't be seeing people just want to quit because they HAVE to "win" in order to get over. I've been a part of it myself and for the very same reason but that's only because I felt that it would give me a huge payoff in the end and for some cases, it does. For me, promos come first and that's the reason why you and no_1eddiefan are my favorite efedders here. You don't need to constantly IC just to get over. Your promos do the job by themselves.
    Firstly, you must love Hot Wasabi.

    Secondly, thanks dude but just call me Eddie- everybody else does

    As for the topic at hand, I feel ICing does add to the experience of efedding but it's not a part of it that is completely necessary. I feel it adds to the evolution of characters, and ICing can also give creative ideas of feuds we can do.



    Efedding:
    Creative of the Year 2012
    Superstar of the Year 2012 (Kyojin)
    User of the Year 2013
    Writer of Match of the Year 2013
    EWNCW Tag Team of the Year 2013 (Hot Wasabi- with Torphy)
    eWN eFed Hall of Famer Class 2
    Final ICW World Champion (Kyojin)
    Current WWE Champion (Cody Rhodes)

  8. #18
    Moderator Asherdelampyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Boktor, Drasnia
    Posts
    10,562
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am going to say honestly that I disagree with the idea of holding pushes based on IC, especially if we are going with quantity here, for a number of reasons.

    1. quantity is of course, not proof of quality, just of time. We know that there are those of us with a great deal less free time than others to be on the forum at all, much less devoting to IC. should those people be penalized? in my view not as long as they turn promos in on time.

    2. We have a system in place for deciding pushes, story and promo. If someone is delivering quality promo show after show, why shouldn't they be pushed? again especially if they turn them in on time?

    3. what becomes the minimum IC level? I mean, does a champion have to have at least 10 IC posts a week? 20? what if he/she gets sick and misses a week, do they lose the title that week? Do they get a chance to get it back next week? what about the guy that got the title from the first sick dude? See what I am getting at here?


    Opportunity is often missed because it shows up in overalls, looking like work.
     

  9. #19
    Black Ninja! bearkg88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9,547
    Blog Entries
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    I agree that IC work isn't always utilized by a lot in the way it should be. Like you said, one liners about how someone's grammar is not right or whatever isn't character development.
    IC work is an opportunity for people to develop their characters. Whether or not they chose to utilize it as such is up to them, because they aren't doing it by throwing down stupid pointless one liners, and I'm not going to give anyone brownie points for utilizing it in such a way.
    Hey! Some of divines one liners are funny....or atleast i think they are
     

  10. #20
    Black Ninja! bearkg88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9,547
    Blog Entries
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Asherdelampyr View Post
    I am going to say honestly that I disagree with the idea of holding pushes based on IC, especially if we are going with quantity here, for a number of reasons.

    1. quantity is of course, not proof of quality, just of time. We know that there are those of us with a great deal less free time than others to be on the forum at all, much less devoting to IC. should those people be penalized? in my view not as long as they turn promos in on time.

    2. We have a system in place for deciding pushes, story and promo. If someone is delivering quality promo show after show, why shouldn't they be pushed? again especially if they turn them in on time?

    3. what becomes the minimum IC level? I mean, does a champion have to have at least 10 IC posts a week? 20? what if he/she gets sick and misses a week, do they lose the title that week? Do they get a chance to get it back next week? what about the guy that got the title from the first sick dude? See what I am getting at here?
    Ill give some insight from my time running an efed. Promos were always the deciding factor of who to use who not to use, ect. If someone turned in an ok promo or less than exceptional, id look at their icing. Are they trying to be active? Id look at past promos. That is just me. To me now, icing is just a fun thing to do once in a while when i have time.
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.