Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

HOWZAT! The Cricket Thread

Bit of a long shot here, but is anybody here interested in cricket? Anybody moderately excited for the remainder of the Ashes?

With England on the verge of retaining the Ashes, I expect Taylor to be given a chance in the third test. Little to lose being 2-0 up in the series, and gives Pietersen extra time to recover.

Distinct lack of Aussie participation these days.

Aw man, I almost fell asleep from the thread title alone! Cricket is England's contribution to the world of overly long drawn out dull and boring bat and ball games. Nah, cricket's not for me like.

Blog Entries
    As a born Asian, Cricket was my first main sport before Arsenal and Football took over. I still love it though.

England have the Ashes in the bag though, not enough Aussy stars. I like Watson but he is so inconsistent, can never make above over 40. It ain't nothing compared to the summer of 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    As a born Asian, Cricket was my first main sport before Arsenal and Football took over. I still love it though.

England have the Ashes in the bag though, not enough Aussy stars. I like Watson but he is so inconsistent, can never make above over 40. It ain't nothing compared to the summer of 2005.
    That Edgbaston test was what made me watch cricket. If Aussie's used their reviews right in the first test, they might've won a close-called contest.

Cook's impressed me as captain thus far. I didn't think he'd be up to the job when Strauss retired, but he's done well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruction View Post
    That Edgbaston test was what made me watch cricket. If Aussie's used their reviews right in the first test, they might've won a close-called contest.

Cook's impressed me as captain thus far. I didn't think he'd be up to the job when Strauss retired, but he's done well.
    That's a bit unfair to say that. How could they have been sure that they were going to need it so badly? How many tests have gone by where they didn't use all of them up? How could they know that old mate was gonna cheat?

That said, the Aussie team is in massive disarray - I would have thought you pommies would have remembered what that was like, when you couldn't win a coin toss in cricket, let alone a series. But that's sporting memory for you - it extends to all sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    That's a bit unfair to say that. How could they have been sure that they were going to need it so badly? How many tests have gone by where they didn't use all of them up? How could they know that old mate was gonna cheat?

That said, the Aussie team is in massive disarray - I would have thought you pommies would have remembered what that was like, when you couldn't win a coin toss in cricket, let alone a series. But that's sporting memory for you - it extends to all sports.
    The fact of the matter is, they made the wrong call. If they were right, then great, but they were wrong, and it backfired on them. And although questionable, I'd hardly call Broad a cheat. His job was to bat, the umpires job was to umpire. The umpire didn't call him out, so he was in his right to stay at the crease. If they saved a review for a clear mistake from the umpire, he would've been out. They risked two close calls, and both were wrong.

England wins fuck all really. Cricket ocassionally, Rugby every couple of decades or so. The only thing a Brit is prolific in is Phil Taylor at Darts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post

I think you lots had this policy that Watson and Clarke were always going to review because without those 2, you have no chance in winning the match. Like the middle stump could go flying and they would still review it. Lol

Watson did completely waste two reviews in the Lord's test where he really should have been able to tell he was out. Especially because there were a few after that could have been reversed. Aussies need to do more what the England team does, of the bowler, captain and keeper all agreeing before they review when fielding and the batter only reviewing on a very close call.

And it's nice to be playing well instead of being battered in an Ashes series. I pray that we don't take the foot off the gas.
    TBOZ - Current EWNCW Evolution Champion - 28/05/2013

Former EWNCW World Heavyweight Champion - 06/03/2012 - 04/07/2012

Former 4x WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPION with GodMoney

Want to become that great? Then join EWNCW today! PM me!

Need advice on how to get started as an e-wrestler? Just PM me, I'm always free to chat!

Blog Entries
    Hey I'm not saying they weren't wasted calls and they should have been better managed but you have to consider what it's like under that pressure. Sometimes you get it wrong. And maybe Broad isn't exactly a cheat but he is a man with hardly any honour when it comes to fair play. A better man might have stepped up and been a honest about it and walked. But thats his choice, that's cricket. I believe he knew he was out. Don't you?

But I'm actually happy it's not Australia just smashing everyone in cricket anymore. I do wish it wasn't so one sided the other way in the Ashes now but that's just tough luck. It's the way it goes.