Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Main Event is better than SmackDown

Maybe it's the old school feel of the show's booking, or the shorter 1 hour timeslot, but I think Main Event is a better show than SmackDown for several reasons.

There are only 2-3 matches on this show every week, but they're almost always entertaining to watch. The first match of the night is the "main-event" itself, and usually gives us main-eventers and upper-carders going back-and-forth for 20-30 minutes. Sometimes theres a title match, which makes the show feel even more important. The second half of the show always features a smaller match for the undercard, but they're still given time to shine, which is something you won't see on Raw.

Michael Cole is a good play-by-play commentator, despite what some people think. The biggest problem he has on Raw is working alongside Jerry Lawler, who is a dull shell of what he used to be. Cole calls the action on this show down to the T, and dosen't normally change the subject mid-way through the match. The color commentary alternates between The Miz and JBL, who both work really well with Cole.

SmackDown these days feels like one giant re-run. If you didn't see a match from SmackDown earlier that week on Raw, you probably saw it the previous week on the same show. That's a problem for a show that is supposed to be it's own brand, complete with a world title. Main Event always feels like a breath of fresh air, with something different every week. It also has that ECW / NXT vibe of being in it's own mini-universe, which is a good thing.

All in all, Raw is obviously the #1 show by default, and I didn't know how Main Event was going to turn out when it debuted. But 5 months later, it's continued to exceed expectations, and in my book, is the true #2 show to watch right now.

I have to agree I genuinely enjoy Main Event, I never fast foward like I do Smackdown and sometimes Raw. Whoever is in charge of this show is doing a great job, from the line up to the promos its really top notch.

Agree.. and NXt is far more better..i enjoy that 1 hour much more than 5 hrs of wwe show..

Senior Member/Featured Blogger wrestlingfan66513's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    the roster split is what helped Smackdown, different writers, new talents, and not having to worry about what's going on in Raw was what made Smackdown great.
    #BennysTeddy

Efedding

Mike Hawk
    EWNCW World Champion (11-12-13 to 5/1/14) Vacated
    Current IWA World Champion (12-15-13 to Present)
    IWA Blackout Champion (3-24-13 to 4-27-14)
    Former JBW Television Champion (12-2-12 to 8-2-13)
    Former ICW Tag Team champion
    1st and last EWA Carnage World champion

Mixed Emotions (Pride and Sorrow)
    Current EWNCW World Tag Team Champions (4-19-13 to 4-26-14)
    Last EWNCW Grand, Hardcore and International Tag Champions

Such a shame, through most of 2011 Smackdown was a much better show than Raw and now it's fallen from grace somewhat. The incessant replays from Raw are a pain in the arse and for me NXT is the second best show they broadcast.

Black Ninja!
    I'd still rather watch smackdown instead of raw... I get all the weekly happenings and it only takes 2 hours... Since they show everything of slight interest from raw...

To hell with insincerity. Fuck you!

Blog Entries
    I disagree. This week's Main Event for example is Big Show competing in 3 matches and KO punching each one. Not exactly entertaining is it?
    I understand that's just one example (and an unfair one to use at that since I really like ME since it pretty much week in week out features a good set of matches), but I'd still say that Smackdown is better.
    All Main Event is at the end of the day is a glorified version of WWE Superstars.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

The WHC scene is better than Raw, well it was shaping up to be but we shall see where it goes now Swagger has been arrested. The rest of the show doesn't appeal to me and needs to be freshened up IMO. They need to have a title exclusive to SD to make it stand out a little more. I think the IC tournament that was going to be on ME would be good for SD and give it a little more interest.
    "If the devil can't defeat me, cancer doesn't stand a chance in hell! Pray for sick children who face this horrible disease 'cause The Snake will be just fine."
    Get well soon Jake 'The Snake' Roberts

Jessie J has nothing on her

Quote Originally Posted by TheBadGuy2090 View Post
    Agree.. and NXt is far more better..i enjoy that 1 hour much more than 5 hrs of wwe show..
    Definitely agree with this one NXT is just pure excellence right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Such a shame, through most of 2011 Smackdown was a much better show than Raw and now it's fallen from grace somewhat. The incessant replays from Raw are a pain in the arse and for me NXT is the second best show they broadcast.
    Agreed. There have been times that Smackdown has been the superior show. I remember when MVP basically carried that brand for a year.