Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Jack Swagger's new gimmick

Well, maybe gimmick is the wrong word, "persona" probably a better choice. Seems to be that of a massive racist. Not sure what to make of it. Glad he has a mouth piece in Uncle Zeb as his lisp doesn't help him come across as threatening, interested to see how it plays out.

Wonder if WWE will go the whole hog and have him coming out in white robe and hood and change his finisher to a hangman's noose!

The weird thing is I can see him getting a face reaction in southern states of America haha
    "INCE...INCE WILL TEAR YOU APART...AGAIN!"

It's not racist, it's close but it's actually a gimmick that is essentially that of a xenophobic patriot. Racist would be singling out a race in particular, they just hate foreigners and non-americans. There's a distinction. Basically, the idea would be "america is for americans!"
    Personally, it's refreshing to see some 'current affairs' being brought up in a wrestling storyline. There used to be a lot of it in the past, especially in the late 80s/early 90s.

G
    GMU - UTID!

2012 - 2nd!

I'm digging this new persona and giving him Dutch Mantell as his mouthpiece to speak for him was a great idea by WWE. He fits the roll perfectly. I must applaud WWE for making that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowki View Post
    It's not racist, it's close but it's actually a gimmick that is essentially that of a xenophobic patriot. Racist would be singling out a race in particular, they just hate foreigners and non-americans. There's a distinction. Basically, the idea would be "america is for americans!"
    Personally, it's refreshing to see some 'current affairs' being brought up in a wrestling storyline. There used to be a lot of it in the past, especially in the late 80s/early 90s.
    This. Though the views doesn't make since because almost all Americans came from non-Americans, but that's a different discussion for a different day. But I also love that someone that's for America and isn't foreign is being booed. Just shows how most people feel about foreigners coming in to make a new life.

I love this new role. They hit a few notes already that struck mine, and many other americans personal feelings about immigration. Especially in a southern state that i live in. Im not saying im an extrrmist like they are btw, just have some policy issues. But i can see swagger getting cheered by the southern states. Especially here in oklahoma, and not cuz hes just a hometown boy either. Plus zeb's mustache is amazing. Greatest thing going in wrestling in amy organization right now is that big burly stache!

if it was a racist gimmick, he would've beat the crap out of Kofi after their match

[thinks about midcard]

Quote Originally Posted by SkilletBoi View Post
    if it was a racist gimmick, he would've beat the crap out of Kofi after their match
    Or made into Strange Fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowki View Post
    The irony when people realise if you are not native-american you are an immigrant!

I love it. Swagger has a mouthpiece which has been needed for a very long time. He actually has a personality and Dutch is the perfect person to pull this off and walk the fine line that this will take.

It will be interesting to see if he gets a face reaction in the south and booed in the north and west coast. Could be the most interesting face/heel dynamic since Bret Hart during the Canada/America storyline. Hopefully they let it develop over time and give them time to come into their own though.

wrestlingsucks.net
    for all your random wrestling needs

Quote Originally Posted by Cabers View Post
    The irony when people realise if you are not native-american you are an immigrant!

I don't get this...

So are people in Scotland not 'Scottish' since their relatives might have arrived from England? Same for Ireland. The Chinese people whose relatives migrated 5 generations ago from Korea? People take this WAY too in depth with the whole "Your great, great, great, great, GREAT Grand Dad came here on a boat!" Our lineage can all be traced back to a place where we don't currently live and virtually everyone is a foreigner in the land they live... Unless the cave that the first descendants of their bloodline lived in HAPPEND to be in the same land as their current residence. But even that is a pipedream as countries were not formulated at that point in history.

The gimmick is about the current idea that a person who currently lives in a country isn't happy with the current immigrants who are currently coming into their nation. It has nothing to do with where Jack Swaggers long forgotten grandfather came from.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone