Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1

    Concepts About The Columns On EWN, And How You Can Be Part Of Them

    Hello everyone, thank you for taking time out of your day to read this post. My name is Joe Burgett. For those who do not know me, I am one of the Columnists for the website. I have loved being here, and I will hopefully be around for a long time. I realize that some of you do not care for me, while others are fine with me. Whatever your opinion might be, I'd like to offer a little proposition for you.

    A lot of you have commented on the columns with "why is this not in the blog section?" or "the bloggers should have time in this area too". I agree and disagree on it. First off, the boss makes the decisions and I follow them. That is why the Columns are where they are. They are all labeled with "column" in each headline to make sure you know it is such, and not news. I have gone through a lot of the blogs since being here. A ton of you have writing talent and I will not disagree with the fact that you should be featured more.

    Keep in mind, while the Columns are in the news area, they are not featured very long. Ryan Clark, our news writer, loves to update news throughout a given day. As a result of this, he often updates news and bumps a column that Jon Fisher and I write. This is not a big deal, as the website is news centered. The cool part is that they are seen, and commented on. EWN fans have made the columns very special for the website and they are doing quite well for the time they are up. With a new design, hopefully up before the year let's out, we will see a Column area featured.

    The Blog section has it's own, distinct section on the website. As a result of this, your Blogs are seen far longer than my Columns are (unless there is a major blog push on a given day). The difference between the two is SEO and overall viewership. When we pump the stuff in the news section out, my columns included, the Blogs get left out. This is where Columns differ again from Blogs.

    So while you may have more featured Blogs, they do not get the attention they should at times. This is not a site issue or even an issue of yours (unless you have a bad title). It's the fact that it's a news centered website and people gravitate toward that section more often than not. Our Bounce Rate claims that we get an average of 5 pages viewed per visitor. That is pretty good. But more often than not, it's news and not blog related.

    SO, I have come up with a solution to get some of you more views and attention. While I cannot promise this will last, it is something we can do for the time being.

    We can do a few series articles that can go on the website weekly. Here are the concepts I have come up with, and you can give some for yourself as well.

    1.) "Joe Versus": A take off of the famous movie "Joe versus Volcano", this will allow two to three bloggers on the website to give their opinions on a certain topic that the Forums come up with for us to talk about. I will give my opinion within it too. This gives you the chance to show your smarts and overall knowledge on the topics given. Since it will be weekly, you will have time to research the topic. I will choose a few people at random for this or we can have a forum pick. There is no winner, as this is a simple debate on a topic. Make great points and it will make you stand out.

    2.) "Head-to-Head": In this option, you all will come up with a topic that you want to see as a Column on the website. You will pick, on your own, who you want to represent the forum/site bloggers against me. Again, this gives you the ability to show off what you can do. We will also allow you to give a link to any page on the site you wish for people to see and we can put social media stuff in there as well. The Winner will be determined by a vote.

    3.) "Anonymous Column": Each week, one of you come on to post a column (you'd email it to me, and I'd post it "as-is" if there are no major mistakes). You can either do it as yourself or stay under another name. For those who do not want to have any name done, this is where "anonymous" comes into play. Before each article, since I'll post under my name, I'll tell people who this article is from. But if anonymous, I'll simply say this is "an blogger on the site who wishes to remain anonymous". I'd pick one of you for this. Usually I'd pick the one I find to be doing the best articles at the time.

    Keep in mind with anything done, we have to go by spacing rules on the website. So anything done in this area has to be spaced up well for online viewership. So, short paragraphs. About 3 long sentences or 4-5 short one's.

    Now of course, you all have the option of coming up with your concept for the Blog/Column clash. I love being able to converse and debate, so I'd love to be able to go one on one with you, or debate with some of you.

    I wanted to do this as a way for you guys to stand out and not feel left out on the website.

    Of course we cannot do a ton of concepts in a week. Only 2 at the most. Of course we can switch up on concepts by the week. We will stick with whatever works.

    I realize that some of you may have already done these concepts of mine already. But now, you get to do it in a more public venue if you will.


    Let me know what you all think, and have a great day.


    ***Note, only serious concepts will be considered. Please refrain from harassment, insults, ugly names, attempted murder, suicide, random car chases, and sending high-pitch noises that only dogs can hear.***

    -Joe Burgett
    EWN Columnist

  2. #2
    Black Ninja! Cabers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    5,255
    Interesting ideas here. I know i gave you shit before with the columns but a way of proving your ability i believe the Head to head option could be a great read. Also AssassinBlade on this site was doing something very similar to the head to head before on this site.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabers View Post
    Interesting ideas here. I know i gave you shit before with the columns but a way of proving your ability i believe the Head to head option could be a great read. Also AssassinBlade on this site was doing something very similar to the head to head before on this site.
    I saw one of his posts and commented on it about the blogs/columns. I'd enjoy facing off with him personally, good writer

  4. #4
    I’ll get to your suggestions in a second.

    First, I challenge you to something. If you truly believe in your columns as being something to generate more hits, then post them as a blog. You are saying that the quality your blogs have brought in the hits, so let’s put this to the test. Of course, none of us might know the numbers, but perhaps it might show you just how much of an advantage having your columns posted in the news section truly is and MAYBE give you a bit of humility (that’s if your EGO allows you to view it as a chance to grow as a journalist). You claim that Clark pushes Columns down yet in spite of them they are still a “draw” to the site; if they are that big of a draw, and if the featured blogs are left untouched for so long, it stands that you should “draw” more from more time being spent up in the section, correct? 24 hours as a Featured blog won’t garner the same traffic that 2 hours in the News section gets. Are you up to it, or do you know what we already do; you can't brag about how much better you are when the playing field is level.


    Secondly, I don’t like these ideas because they are centered on yet another thing for you to give credit to yourself. If you would have suggested a “Column Special” twice a month that features two of what you consider “quality writers” from the blogs section going Head to Head, then I would approve this. Instead you are presenting ideas that are only self-serving once again. Even the “Anonymous” idea is centered on YOU picking the best option sent in to you, thus YOU get to take credit for posting a hot topic column since you “handpicked” it. I wouldn’t be opposed to 3 paragraphs from 2 users; one on the positive side and the other on the counter; the closing arguments to a common debate if you will.


    Lastly, if you truly want to improve your beloved Columns then you would quit posting the easiest route possible. You choose topics that are easy to agree with because it is what those in the YouTube comments are screaming. It’s what other blogs across the internet are already saying. They do NOTHING to challenge views or require you to think when reading them. You are taking a hot topic, a commodity that is already proven, and then gloating at its success. I’d rather see DKWS and his Coffee Talk segments because they at least provide interesting concepts and require in-depth thought beyond “AJ’s promo (I refuse to call it a ‘pipebomb’) was good… CM Punk said so.” Bring in something controversial and make it seem like an objective point of view; not the arrogant opinion suggesting to be factual as you did with your Kurt Angle arrest Column.


    You are not an “insider” in the wrestling world so your columns do not deserve to be in the place that they are; separate them into the section that they deserve to be in (the blogs section) OR move them to the “Columns” section without posting them in the news section. Until this happens, you will not be viewed in my eyes as trying to help this site; only trying to help you get more traffic that you can take credit for and use to your self-service advantage.


    Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

    Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    I’ll get to your suggestions in a second.

    First, I challenge you to something. If you truly believe in your columns as being something to generate more hits, then post them as a blog. You are saying that the quality your blogs have brought in the hits, so let’s put this to the test. Of course, none of us might know the numbers, but perhaps it might show you just how much of an advantage having your columns posted in the news section truly is and MAYBE give you a bit of humility (that’s if your EGO allows you to view it as a chance to grow as a journalist). You claim that Clark pushes Columns down yet in spite of them they are still a “draw” to the site; if they are that big of a draw, and if the featured blogs are left untouched for so long, it stands that you should “draw” more from more time being spent up in the section, correct? 24 hours as a Featured blog won’t garner the same traffic that 2 hours in the News section gets. Are you up to it, or do you know what we already do; you can't brag about how much better you are when the playing field is level.


    Secondly, I don’t like these ideas because they are centered on yet another thing for you to give credit to yourself. If you would have suggested a “Column Special” twice a month that features two of what you consider “quality writers” from the blogs section going Head to Head, then I would approve this. Instead you are presenting ideas that are only self-serving once again. Even the “Anonymous” idea is centered on YOU picking the best option sent in to you, thus YOU get to take credit for posting a hot topic column since you “handpicked” it. I wouldn’t be opposed to 3 paragraphs from 2 users; one on the positive side and the other on the counter; the closing arguments to a common debate if you will.


    Lastly, if you truly want to improve your beloved Columns then you would quit posting the easiest route possible. You choose topics that are easy to agree with because it is what those in the YouTube comments are screaming. It’s what other blogs across the internet are already saying. They do NOTHING to challenge views or require you to think when reading them. You are taking a hot topic, a commodity that is already proven, and then gloating at its success. I’d rather see DKWS and his Coffee Talk segments because they at least provide interesting concepts and require in-depth thought beyond “AJ’s promo (I refuse to call it a ‘pipebomb’) was good… CM Punk said so.” Bring in something controversial and make it seem like an objective point of view; not the arrogant opinion suggesting to be factual as you did with your Kurt Angle arrest Column.


    You are not an “insider” in the wrestling world so your columns do not deserve to be in the place that they are; separate them into the section that they deserve to be in (the blogs section) OR move them to the “Columns” section without posting them in the news section. Until this happens, you will not be viewed in my eyes as trying to help this site; only trying to help you get more traffic that you can take credit for and use to your self-service advantage.


    As I told you and everyone else before, I do not consider myself special. I was told to place the columns where they were placed. The reason for this is what I stated above. There is more SEO and other things put behind them there versus the blog section. Now that does not mean the Blog section draws zero readers. But it does work a bit like wordpress hits when you see them. Not unique hits, which are more important at the end of the day. So literally, over time you could refresh a page a lot and eventually it could look good. With unique hits, it does not work like that. This is how my columns are based. That's why I know we draw a bit more by having it where they are.

    So your challenge is a bit off base of what I was saying. I am not saying that because I write an article, it will get viewed more. I'm simply telling you why the columns are put where they are. However, I do not mind testing out the blog system to see if the article can do well. I can always put one there. Choose the topic and then I'll post something on it within the next week.

    On the stuff I mentioned. Because these columns are done by myself and Jon, I have to be involved with them. However, I put above that I am willing to let someone post an article weekly under their own name. You saw that one I'm sure. It's not about ego or something on me being great. I just want to give people, like yourself, a chance to practice what you preach. If you feel you're ready for something more, then let me know and I will be more than happy to put you into the stuff I mentioned above, unless you have a more feasible option I can go with.

    Oh and the part about me picking popular topics is not something that is fair to complain about. I write on them because they sell for hits. I know, strange that I would pull a business answer here. But it's factual. The AJ promo for example was a hot topic, so I wrote on it. Plus, I liked it and wanted to state the reasons why. Just an example there alone. This was being talked about, therefore searched. Which meant more hits for the website. Why am I wrong for writing about it again? And my opinions are my opinions, if they are the same as the popular opinion, far be it for me to be in a majority. Not everyone has to think differently about everything.

    However to the contrary of your point, I wrote about things that were not major topics either. I did a big medical series actually. You should check those out. They are pretty well done. I study Public Health, so naturally I enjoy writing about the stuff I deal with daily.

  6. #6
    Black Ninja! Tommy Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    25,748
    Blog Entries
    1
    Still don't get why you get to post columns in a newly created section, specifically created for you, when you could have just made an account here and started blogging like the rest of us do.
    And I'm even more bewildered by why you're now, out of the blue, seemingly helping run this site.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!


  7. #7
    The Trinity Dr. Death's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Where I'm at.
    Posts
    3,069
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    Still don't get why you get to post columns in a newly created section, specifically created for you, when you could have just made an account here and started blogging like the rest of us do.
    And I'm even more bewildered by why you're now, out of the blue, seemingly helping run this site.
    If this guy is going to be running this site, I think I'll spend less time here. All of the news and such posted on the main board are copy and paste jobs from other sites, we all know this as a fact.


    UFC Womens Bantamweight Champion
    Ronda Rousey

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    Still don't get why you get to post columns in a newly created section, specifically created for you, when you could have just made an account here and started blogging like the rest of us do.
    And I'm even more bewildered by why you're now, out of the blue, seemingly helping run this site.
    I am not running the site, I help when and where I can. That is all.

    And nothing is being created just for me. Anything done is for the betterment of the website. If the owner feels something works, he does it. End of story, and I am not going to argue with it. Right now, all I wanted to do was offer a chance for you guys to do something I'm sure several of you would enjoy doing. If you'd like to do it, then by all means let me know. If not, then don't worry about it. Again, it's just me trying to solve an issue and give something that was asked.

  9. #9
    Black Ninja! Tommy Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    25,748
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeB View Post
    I am not running the site, I help when and where I can. That is all.

    And nothing is being created just for me. Anything done is for the betterment of the website. If the owner feels something works, he does it. End of story, and I am not going to argue with it. Right now, all I wanted to do was offer a chance for you guys to do something I'm sure several of you would enjoy doing. If you'd like to do it, then by all means let me know. If not, then don't worry about it. Again, it's just me trying to solve an issue and give something that was asked.
    I didn't claim that you were running the site, I said that you were helping run it (which you are, as you claim), and I don't really get why. You've just turned up over the last month or 2 and now you're helping run the site and have pull with what happens here? Makes zero sense to me. Very strange. If we were to start writing columns for EWN then does that grant us some 'pull' with what happens too? LOL.

    Then why hasn't Frank contacted anyone else about writing columns? You said it yourself that you were approached to write these columns for the site. Why hasn't anyone else been approached? Anyone who was actually ON EWN to begin with, or one of the regular guys from our blog section?
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!


  10. #10
    The Trinity Dr. Death's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Where I'm at.
    Posts
    3,069
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    I didn't claim that you were running the site, I said that you were helping run it (which you are, as you claim), and I don't really get why. You've just turned up over the last month or 2 and now you're helping run the site and have pull with what happens here? Makes zero sense to me. Very strange. If we were to start writing columns for EWN then does that grant us some 'pull' with what happens too? LOL.

    Then why hasn't Frank contacted anyone else about writing columns? You said it yourself that you were approached to write these columns for the site. Why hasn't anyone else been approached? Anyone who was actually ON EWN to begin with, or one of the regular guys from our blog section?
    Because we're beneath them of course.


    UFC Womens Bantamweight Champion
    Ronda Rousey

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.