Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WWE/Names/Gimmicks

As we all know WWE has a history of hiring indy stars, or other professional wrestlers and changing their gimmick/name, unless the indy star can successfully negotiate keeping their name the same.

Upon hearing El Generico signed with WWE people immediately went up in arms about him losing his gimmick and name. Same with Claudio/Cesaro, Hero/Ohno, Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson, PAC/Adrian Neville.

So I was wondering, why do the IWC(Or at least, as far as I see them), have such a problem with a indy star getting a new name/gimmick upon going to WWE? And what is your opinion on them getting new names/gimmicks upon making it to WWE.

Mine stand as such:
    Names, I don't really care. I don't forget their indy names, and from what I've seen, most other people don't either. Some people are actually a part of the process of making them. I think Tyler Black/Seth Rollins said he was part of it; Bryan said Regal picked his name(Daniel's list included Buddy Peacock).

Gimmicks, I don't rightly mind a gimmick change either. No 100% guarantee that their current gimmick would work anyway on a main stream level, and it's good to see if they can work in other gimmicks as well, I think. A lot of top stars went through different gimmicks before getting to the one that propelled them in WWE(Ringmaster/SCSA, Rocky Maivia(sp)/The Rock, John Cena(White Rapper)/John Cena(Superman), Punk(SE)/Punk(BITW)).
    Kaige Chamberlain
    Ballad of an Asshole

Former RTE Tag-Team Champion(w/ Xavier Hightower[1])
    Current EWNCW Tag-Team Champion (Solo; 3/30/14) [1]
    'Father' Black Angel:
    Preacher of the Voices

Winner of BotN[Seraphim]

I'm trying to be number one, why would I settle?
    @IWACreative_Parody Tweeter

Buggered if I know but I really want them to rename El Generico as La Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Buggered if I know but I really want them to rename El Generico as La Vanilla.
    Give him a vanilla covered mask and tights set. xD
    Kaige Chamberlain
    Ballad of an Asshole

'Father' Black Angel:
    Preacher of the Voices

Winner of BotN[Seraphim]

Quote Originally Posted by TheJosephBanks View Post
    Give him a vanilla covered mask and tights set. xD
    Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Works for me.
    Vanilla and let's go with... black? brown? color scheme. D
    Kaige Chamberlain
    Ballad of an Asshole

'Father' Black Angel:
    Preacher of the Voices

Winner of BotN[Seraphim]

Why does the IWC hate it? Simple they are fans of x person and feel that x person has done alot to build their name to that point. As for gimmicks WWE has a history of ruining peoples debut gimics

because they wanna see them with the name and gimmick they love,simple really.

The higher I go, the crookeder it becomes.

Blog Entries
    The best thing about a gimmick change is WWE won't copyright the original so if/when that person leaves they can use it again.
    There is no gurantee El Generico will get a change. I could go either way personally, just keep him masked. But people seem to forget there were alot of rumors of changing R-Truth's name, among others, that never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtts101 View Post
    The best thing about a gimmick change is WWE won't copyright the original so if/when that person leaves they can use it again.
    There is no gurantee El Generico will get a change. I could go either way personally, just keep him masked. But people seem to forget there were alot of rumors of changing R-Truth's name, among others, that never happened.
    He's not called Ron Killings anymore, regardless of keeping the truth part of his name.

The higher I go, the crookeder it becomes.

i don't get the whole r-truth thing you guys are talking about.