Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was listening to a wrestling radio talk show, that I never heard before, on my brother's sat radio that he told me to listen to. I don't know the name of it.

Anyways they had Chris Jericho on the radio ranting and chewing fans out for being whiny bitches that no one could please. It was pretty harsh. And the topic was Ryback. Everyone who called to bitch about Ryback, Jericho basically told them "that you idiots cry about Cena and want something different being brought to the table and once the WWE does that you people STILL BITCH! No wonder why the WWE just does what they want and can care less about your irrelevant opinions!"

I was taking it that it was not a heel kayfabe promo since Y2J came back at the RR and Raw and worked as a face. I liked what he was saying, but yeah...it was BRUTAL.
    Last edited by Playboy Stevie V; 01-31-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Maybe a heel turn would help showcase him more. It seems Heels usually get the better move sets these days. The only faces with a wide variety of moves are Kofi, Sheamus (somewhat), and now Del Rio. Cena, Orton, Ryback... They all have limited move sets. Maybe a manager would help (Vickie maybe, can't see Heyman with Ryback).

Blog Entries
    Don't get me wrong. I take pride in the fact that I judge a wrestler mostly on their own merits. I never wanted a Ryback. I don't mind him. He's OK. I like Cena too. All I'm doing is posing the question of how far can they take him and how long people are going to expect more from him, say "Oh he'll get better".

Look at Goldberg. The man had 2 dimensions at best. He was around for 7 years. Ryback already has him beat there.

Wrestling fans have whacked out expectations. He's no better and no worse in the ring as Big Show or Mark Henry are, were and will always be. Let's stop waiting for the 'big pay off' and accept what we get. Like Tensai. It's like everyone wants fucking fireworks and rainbows and dancing girls and a huge song and dance number with every little angle. Get real.

Blog Entries
    As good as it gets? For him, you're probably right, though he has added a little polish to the current character, e.g. the shoulder roll to prompt the "Feed me more" chant. Nonetheless, with that many years in at the major league level and his "skill" level being where it is--rather than, say, working to improve his techniques and improve where he's weakest, all the time he was characters before Ryback was created--it suggests this is about all you're going to get out of the man.

Should also note that in some cases--predominantly in the WWF/E--powerhouses are booked to only have so many moves in their repertoire, which I suppose the Cena-haters probably don't want to hear despite it being the truth. Am not saying that's the case with Ryback, just talking generalities in the company history.
    --Stately

visit the home of The Return Of The Official Greatest Heel Column Ever
    http://www.swmswm.com/StatelyStates.htm

The biggest problem I have with Ryback is that he's been wrestling as long as a guys like Dolph Ziggler and The Miz (a fellow $1,000,000 Tough Enough contestant), but hasn't evolved or gotten better at any aspect of the business since then.

He's just a juiced up meathead that can't cut a promo to save his life or wrestle longer than 10 minutes. And no matter what he or WWE management say, his character is just a copy of Goldberg.

I can see why the casual, Cenation crowd likes him, and if anyone is a fan of him, that's fine. But he does nothing for me.
    Last edited by Jack Newport; 01-31-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Newport View Post
    The biggest problem I have with Ryback is that he's been wrestling as long as a guys like Dolph Ziggler and The Miz (a fellow $1,000,000 Tough Enough contestant), but hasn't evolved or gotten better at any aspect of the business since then.

He's just a juiced up meathead that can't cut a promo to save his life or wrestle longer than 10 minutes. And no matter what he or WWE management say, his character is just a copy of Goldberg.

I can see why the casual, Cenation crowd likes him, and if anyone is a fan of him, that's fine. But he does nothing for me.
    His match at TLC was longer than 10 minutes

its his gimmick to be an unstoppable monster, but eventually his gimmick 'weaken' and he'll start to use more moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Newport View Post

did you watch anything he did before he was ryback? this is his 3rd gimmick in wwe. and he come up with this himself.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyKong View Post
    His match at TLC was longer than 10 minutes
    And he spent half the match laying on his back. Team Hell No and The Sheild did most of the work.

Quote Originally Posted by thedag View Post
    did you watch anything he did before he was ryback? this is his 3rd gimmick in wwe. and he come up with this himself.
    The only major thing that's changed about Ryan Reeves in 8 years is his name. It's a shame the gimmick he came up with on his own, "Ryback", had already been come up with back in WCW, if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Jack Newport; 02-01-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Ryback should have been built up like Cesaro. Cesaro would get a slow build and do impressive feats of strength on guys like Great Khali and Brodus Clay. And the thing is we don't even know if Ryback can even lift Khali or Clay. I like Ryback, but I feel Cesaro is going to be the bigger star. But Ryback is still a better wrestler than Goldberg, maybe if he can improve his mic skills a little more. He can really be a top star.