Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Was Punk the longest reigning champion ever?

I was thinking earlier, Punk is the the longest reigning WWE champion of the modern era, but in the not so modern eras, they didnt hav nearly as many matches, so my question is in terms of matches competed in while champion, is Punk the longest reigning champ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ziggles View Post
    I was thinking earlier, Punk is the the longest reigning WWE champion of the modern era, but in the not so modern eras, they didnt hav nearly as many matches, so my question is in terms of matches competed in while champion, is Punk the longest reigning champ?
    ummm idk. i'm to lazy to do the math. but he could be. but i think wrestlers wrestled more days in the AA times.

Quote Originally Posted by thedag View Post
    ummm idk. i'm to lazy to do the math. but he could be. but i think wrestlers wrestled more days in the AA times.
    What about the Hogan era they didn't had Raw or PPVs they usually defended the title at Live events

What Arsenal fans think about RVP moving to UTD:
    Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    There is a difference between playing shit and being shit. You said I think RVP is shit, where I'm saying he'll play shit... His ability will still be there but it just won't have a bug effect on UTD.
    Oh akbar....

You'd have to count every title defense (televised, PPV, and house show) in WWE history to know for sure. That's virtually impossible.

Punk is the longest reiging champion of the modern era. Let's leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by magglis View Post
    What about the Hogan era they didn't had Raw or PPVs they usually defended the title at Live events
    Hogans longest title run was from January 23rd 1984 to February 5th 1988 in which he lost the title to Andre The Giant and the crooked/twin referees storyline.
    ~~Silence and Violence~~
    My two favorite things

What a real Championship looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoogeyMan View Post
    Hogans longest title run was from January 23rd 1984 to February 5th 1988 in which he lost the title to Andre The Giant and the crooked/twin referees storyline.
    I do know that but i can't see your point posting it here

What Arsenal fans think about RVP moving to UTD:
    Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    There is a difference between playing shit and being shit. You said I think RVP is shit, where I'm saying he'll play shit... His ability will still be there but it just won't have a bug effect on UTD.
    Oh akbar....

Quote Originally Posted by peppermill25 View Post

you didn't read the OP. he is after like if you added up all the title diffences. bruno fought only a few times a month.

Quote Originally Posted by magglis View Post
    live events a few times a month.

Punk has the longest reign of the last 25 years(1). Hogan's run from '84 to 88' was 1474 days, four days longer than Bob Backlund's second stint 1470, his first being 2135 (although WWE only recognise 648)(2). Then there's Bruno Sammartino with 2803 and 1237 and Pedro Morales with 1027(2).

Assuming Punk was working 3.5* matches a week he'll have done (434/7) X 3.5 = 217 matches in this reign.

I can't find anywhere to see what sort of schedule they worked before Raw started so I'm guessing:

Let's say Sammartino worked 2 matches a week: (2803 / 7) X 2 = 801 (round to the nearest whole match)
    Even if he only worked 1 match a week during his reign it's 400.

Soooo, to answer your question: No. Odds are that Bruno Sammartino and possibly Buckland and Hogan will have had more matches during their reigns.

(1) wwe.com
    (2) wikipedia
    * Raw, 2 house shows weekly and a PPV once a month minus time off injured and any others he missed (I guessed)

Ps. I only did all this because I realised this will be my 600th post and a round number deserved some numbers. As a great man might say, "You're Welcome!"

Divas to believe in.