Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Attitude Era Vs Current Era

There will always be fans who will say that the Attitude Era is greatest Era in professional wrestling. Saying that it had great wrestling matches, and the most entertaining wrestlers, and how the crowds were always excited each and every night. Then there are some that so the Attitude Era was overrated. Saying that there were garbage gimmicks, and that even though it had its great moments its way over-hyped. So my question is Which era do you guys think is better, the current era or the Attitude Era.

While the Attitude Era had great entertainers. I feel the wrestlers of today are much better. You have better quality matches on a week to week basis. With guys like Sandow, Sheamus, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Randy Orton, Antonio Cesaro, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena, The Miz, and sometimes the Big Show. Who week in and week out put on great matches. Though I feel most of the champions don't feel as prestigious as they did in the attitude era (namely the intercontinental championship) but with guys like Jericho, Guerrero, Benoit, Angle, even Triple H fighting for the intercontinental title back in the Attitude Era of course its going to feel less prestigious now.

I feel in the Attitude Era there where great wrestlers like Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, but it wasn't until 2004 that they really got recognized for the talented wrestlers they where. Kurt Angle was a world champion during the attitude era, but he never really had a classic match during that time period. Kurt Angle was more of a comedian then anything, Chris Jericho become the first undisputed champion but didn't reach his prime until 2008.

So in my opinion I feel this Era and different ways is actually better than the Attitude Era. Due to great wrestling matches, and I feel much younger superstars are now entering the spotlight which will make the future even brighter with guys like Ryback, The Shield, Cesaro, Rhodes, and even Ziggler.

Which Era do you guys think is better?

My opinion

Todays greatest workers
    Bryan
    Punk
    Ziggles
    Cesero
    Kidd

Attitudes Era's
    Brett Hart
    Malenko
    Benoit
    Angle
    Lance Storm
    Eddie
    Sean O'Haire
    and the list goes on........................Nuff said
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Bastard........
    Did you just troll me? That's so not cool man!

Quote Originally Posted by MattElder View Post
    My opinion

Todays greatest workers
    Bryan
    Punk
    Ziggles
    Cesero
    Kidd

Attitudes Era's
    Brett Hart
    Malenko
    Benoit
    Angle
    Lance Storm
    Eddie
    Sean O'Haire
    and the list goes on........................Nuff said

Brett Hart wasn't in the Attitude era, AwrestlingGod is saying that the guys above (Benoit, Eddie etc) didn't shine until after 2002 (The end of the Attitude Era)
    "If the devil can't defeat me, cancer doesn't stand a chance in hell! Pray for sick children who face this horrible disease 'cause The Snake will be just fine."
    Get well soon Jake 'The Snake' Roberts

Jessie J has nothing on her

Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges for me. Both era's have their own unique style. And both have their pro's and con's. I really enjoyed the Attitude Era because it did a better job at selling you on storylines. Today's era while it doesn't have a lot of good storylines, it produces some really good in-ring action from a majority of the roster.

Black Ninja!
    storyline wise, attitude era is hands down better.

In terms of actual wrestling, the people we have seen since then are simply better at it.

To hell with insincerity. Fuck you!

There have been numerous topics, blogs and comparisons about the attitude era vs. The PG era, I think its impossible to say that one is better than the other cause they are so different in so many ways, I have watched wwe since Wrestlemania 1 and you can’t compare that era to this new era as well, I loved the attitude era for the great storytelling, the awesome performance of most wrestlers as complete (Wrestling ability/Mic skills/Person) but once in a while they got a little bit carried away and that’s what cost them in the long run, in the modern era we get to see great wrestling matches, some very great promos (CM Punk) and many new faces, but for my opinion on the matter, if the wwe could balance the 2 eras they would have a killer product, a little edgier from time to time but not get carried away, and still do some funny stuff like Santino for the kids, that would be a great show to watch for all, if the writers actually can do a decent job that is.

If you think about the WHC now is the IC title of the AE. Even though they say WHC is as good as WWE championship we all know it's really not lol.

I honestly think that it wasn't just the Attitude Era alone. It was the fact that, during the Attitude Era, there was another main stream, top notch wrestling promotion going head to head with WWF. That added to the excitement, as interest in the wrestling industry was at an all time high, and there was so much more of a soap opera feel to it. Also, more captivating characters. Undertaker was still great, Stone Cold and The Rock redefined what it was like to have a Hulk Hogan type, larger than life presence in the promotion. Mick Foley came into his own after a long career in the mid-card, irrelevant status. Then there was the NWO which was so revolutionary. I think the love for the Attitude Era is more a love for the Monday Night Wars.

Naturally, the athletes are better, but the wrestlers, as characters that people can really get into, don't exist as much. Wrestling needs to find that new, revolutionary thing to bring that kind of glory back. Which era was better? Well, today's wrestling is better, but AE's entertainment was better.

Quote Originally Posted by TNA 'The very best' View Post
    Brett Hart wasn't in the Attitude era, AwrestlingGod is saying that the guys above (Benoit, Eddie etc) didn't shine until after 2002 (The end of the Attitude Era)
    Brett Hart not being in the attitude era is down to opinion on when the era actually started, Alot of people me included believe Brett Hart was the begning of the era,

Regarding the names like benoit becoming popular after the era is irrelevant, They were still there and they could still wrestle, much like tyson kidd can today theres a major differance between being popular and being able to wrestle
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Bastard........
    Did you just troll me? That's so not cool man!

Attitude era, but mostly for the ability of storytelling, storylines etc. A lot of big stars that really had their own gimmick and made it their own. It was great. Much much more better than today.They might have better wrestling today but they never get a chance to shine. Always squashes, pointless matches, same matches same outcomes and boring matches. Nothing really that great. Storylines are lame and the creative has lost all will to write a decent show, puts me to sleep hence stopped watching. still keep up on whats happening so i remind myself why i quit hence me being able to make this comment. My opinion though.