Thread: Banning Moves??

Blog Entries

Question Banning Moves??

I came across this article about Jon Jones use of the oblique kick and Rampage calling for it's banning. Impressions on this?

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/189564.html

As long as you can't hit some one in the balls or do the Sub Zero spine rip, I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    Go to hell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Bomb View Post
    As long as you can't hit some one in the balls or do the Sub Zero spine rip, I'm happy.
    What about that move I think it was Scorpion did? The "Get Over Here!" one? Can they use that one?

Blog Entries
    The oblique kick is a dangerous move as it is basically a side thrust kick to the knee of an opponent. If done properly in a real fight, (as in a scrap in the parking lot), the oblique kick can and will snap your opponent's knee and/or hyper-extend it way beyond normal range in the opposite direction it's intended to go. It could cause significant damage to the knee and leg of a fighter causing them to be out of action for months or a year + depending on damages done. So it that sense Rampage has a legitimate grip, that being said the main issue with this kick is the range at which it is used. Too close to opponent it is hard to use it, too far away it don't work well and is more of an annoyance than a threat, but in mid range it's something to be feared in the octagon. However there is a checking technique an opponent can use to counter the oblique kick and is something all fighters should practice. By raising the knee so that your foot barely raises above the floor/mat one can effectively counter this kick, in essence the oblique kick, when countered in this method, is little more than a slap/push against your leg and has little effect or use.

UFC Womens Bantamweight Champion
    Ronda Rousey

Blog Entries
    It definitely needs a review.