Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Alberto Del Rio as World Champion.

Alberto Del Rio is the best face world champion since Edge retired. I mean Christian only held it for a day as a face, Sheamus was decent but I never really connected with him, and Randy Orton whole reign consisted of wrestling Christian (great matches though). But in the last 2 weeks Del Rio has been World Champion he has gotten the crowd on his side. I mean last night in his match with Tensai when he went for his corner enzuigiri the crowd was really into it chanting ci, ci, ci and now as a face the whole crowd says his name when Ricardo announces it. He's just a great wrestler, and I believe he is a much better face than heel. I hope he can hold the title until Wrestlemania, I feel he has the crowd on his side, and it be foolish for him to lose the World Title before Wrestlemania.

Thoughts on Del Rio as a face World Champion.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't raw in san jose? That explains why Del Rio was so over last night. Hispanic wrestlers do well in hispanic markets, even Hunico would get a reaction. Not taking away from Del Rio, because i don't mind him, but the reaction on Raw doesn't gauge how over he is at the moment.

G
    GMU - UTID!

2012 - 2nd!

Blog Entries
    I'm enjoying Alberto as face..he seems to be more natural as a FACE than HEEL...all of a sudden his mic work has also become entertaining....

Yeah. ADR is a much better face then heel.

I have always enjoyed Del Rio since his debut with the WWE. Thought from the beginning the man would have a bright future in the organization. And at first I didn't think I would really like him as a face but I'm actually enjoying it so far.

Blog Entries
    I never in a million years would have though Del Rio would have worked as a face, but hey it works!
    LONG LIVE ROCK 'N' ROLL!

I agree that Del Rio's reign as a Face has started well, I think there is a lot to come but it has got off on the right foot!

To be honest I think that the WWE is in a rare position whereby each championship is held by very talented individuals that have pretty strong characters... Hell even Kaitlyn has battled and persevered for months before holding the Divas championship!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowki View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't raw in san jose? That explains why Del Rio was so over last night. Hispanic wrestlers do well in hispanic markets, even Hunico would get a reaction. Not taking away from Del Rio, because i don't mind him, but the reaction on Raw doesn't gauge how over he is at the moment.
    Indeed it was and that was why they played up to them massively. The audience sees it on television a bit of monkey see monkey do for the rest of the country (except for Chicago as the call it like they see it).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the WWE focuses on a Hispanic fan base on Smackdown. That's why I credit, some of that for Eddie's reign and push and Rey's. I think the face turn and new push for ADR wasn't a last straw thing, that some have said in these forums before. I think this was more like Sin Cara is not getting over enough to take that smackdown Hispanic draw spot, so they laid it on ADR and he's working it. I always like ADR. I wasn't one of those nay sayers who wanted him gone. He's talented, but WWE is saturated with heels so he was lost in storylines and the fold.

So in conclusion, I really think ADR took Sin Cara's spot, because I think Triple H thought he would be something huge by now, IMO.

One thing I think the WWE has been smart to figure out... making ADR a face means the audience will want to chant along with Ricardo as he intros ADR. Seems like this has been getting louder the past 2 TV shows. If there is one thing modern day wrestlers need to learn from the Attitude Era, live crowds want to feel like they are a part of the show. Aside of "Yes, Yes, Yes...", "Woo Woo Woo" and "Feed Me More", what does the audience chant? The attitude era gave us "Suck it", the New Age Outlaws intro, several of the Rocks catch phrases, several of the Jericho catch phrases, "Hell Yeah" & "What?", and even the "You Suck" chants for Kurt Angle.

People are going to love doing the intro along with Ricardo. It's only going to get louder on a weekly basis.