Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Strap"

I think its because title feuds always get more spotlight so it has more opportunity for airtime.

Quote Originally Posted by MattElder View Post
    You familiar with the saying "it's not the view, Its the journey to get there"? Wrestling is first and foremost a story. A story with a begining, middle & end, Each story needs a hook and a plot. This is what makes the emotion when somebody finally wins that final grudge match, or gets up on 9 1/2 count on last man standing....It doesnt need the title to get you emotionally attached.

Simply saying give the title to Who ever because he's been around a while and can perfect the arm bar just doesnt cut it for me
    I understand that, but wasn't your question about why we want our favorite wrestlers, or wrestlers in general, to win a title. I was simply answering your initial question.

I think how we pick our favorites these days has changed. I think we like to cheer for whoever the best worker is rather than who is the best character. It's why we don't like Cena anymore. He's great on mic but he's boring in the ring these days. Except for when he pulled that Hurricarana a few weeks ago. That was surprising. Anyway, we cheer for CM Punk and Daniel Bryan because we enjoy watching them wrestle. We're getting bored of Kofi because he hasn't changed in or out of the ring in years. We didn't like Ryback initially because he was crap in ring and the same goes for Sin Cara.

We say we want these people to get the belts because they deserve them for the work they do, not necessarily because of the storylines they're in. We love the guys that do the best work and that's why we want to see them with titles. We want to see them at the front of the pack.
    I want to know who looked at David Otunga and said "You know something? This guy's good." They deserve to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by SESAfro View Post
    I understand that, but wasn't your question about why we want our favorite wrestlers, or wrestlers in general, to win a title. I was simply answering your initial question.
    My apologies if it came across like that on my initial point, The point I was trying to say is when we talk about whats next the a superstar, 9 times out of 10 it comes to a strap, Not a good feud.......Talking about Daniel Bryan etc, alot of opinions are let have a title run then feud with......

My opinion is sod the title lets get a good feud going then maybe lead to a title match or a grudge match for the big finale. There is just too much emphasis on a push meaning a title run
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Bastard........
    Did you just troll me? That's so not cool man!

Agreeing with @SESAfro here.

The title is a prop, but its also recognition. It's the top of the mountatin in the industry. You mention the journey, well the WWE Title is the destination. Don't get me wrong, I understand it has been devalued at times over the years, and there have been COUNTLESS awesome feuds that didn't involve a strap. BUT, I imagine that 99% of those strapless feuds involved characters who had held important titles, thus establishing themselves as people we should really care about, and view as legitimate. That's what a title is, validation, legitimacy.

Also, pushing for your favorite wrestler to win the title, is exactly like cheering for a team you love. The avid fans, like us, follow a guy - say Dolph - from the ground up. You watch him evolve from gimmick to gimmick, from jobber to mid-card, from mid-card to main event. You see as he grows on the mic, introduces new moves, new managers, new style, new swagger. Dolph Ziggler is just the OKC Thunder. You watched them grow from the Seattle Supersonics, a struggling franchise. They drafted new players, changed cities, got new coaches, and gradually - year to year- they become contenders. And OKC, just like Dolph, will always be remembered as VERY ENTERTAINING, VERY awesome at what they do - but until they WIN that championship, they won't be considered among the greats. Scripted or not, as long as you are invested in something, you want to see it reach the pinnacle of its sport/industry. That's what the title is.

"I'm so damn good when I'm finished there won't be a dry eye - or dry seat - sorry ladies - in the entire arena." #HEEL

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    The only problem I have with say, giving the title to the rock is that it sends a message to the rest of the roster that you don't have to work hard all year round putting on a great show for the fans; as long as you can entertain for 2 or 3 months out of the year. That isn't really something that benefits the overall product on a day to day basis. I don't really care about who has a title if we are getting a good storyline out of people.
    Totally disagree. If anything, what the locker room should take away from it is this: Work hard enough and connect with the fans the way The Rock did in the past and you will always have a place in the WWE. And how does a top 5 superstar of all time winning the strap not benefit the product? Of course they should push newer talent, but the current talent is just not on the same level as The Rock. Looks like the newer talent needs to step their game up! Unfortunately, "working hard all year" doesn't put asses in seats.

Simple. When a talent wins the strap it shows that they are one of the best in the business and the WWE has confidence that their champ can carry the company. It is a goal that most superstars work towards night in and night out. From a fans point of view it's nice to know that the guy you get behind is "that damn good".

But in this topic i keep seeing the phrase "your favourite wrestlers" Thats how it used to be........Now its got to the point that anybody or everybody is ready for a mid card or main event title, Look at evan bourne...I a thread yesterday majority of people were saying form a tag team and push for titles or push for mid card title,

Same today with a Daniel Bryan thread..... Push for main event title, I agree that we want our favourites to win the big one but its past that now, Its to the stage of every time the IWC discusess what should happen to a charcater the majority want a push for a title,

This goes against the points of favourite wrestlers.How many favourites can 1 person have?

Also regarding titles being recognition, thats not always the case plenty of names out there that are remembered and are legends with out ever recieving the big ones.

I honestly think its got the point where a name is mentioned then people start to think. Well he's been around a couple of years, he's not bad, lets push him!!

El T Draino, Im glad you mentioned Dolph Ziggler in this because for me Dolph is very unique.....How many others have worked from the bottom and stayed lingering around the main event?

Others have just been pushed to the moon, get to the top then go stale.

Take CM punk for example, How many people on here we're saying Punk deserves this and that, We need long title runs to legitamise the titles, then when we get it, nobody wants it...........
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Bastard........
    Did you just troll me? That's so not cool man!

Blog Entries
    But in this topic i keep seeing the phrase "your favourite wrestlers" Thats how it used to be........Now its got to the point that anybody or everybody is ready for a mid card or main event title, Look at evan bourne...I a thread yesterday majority of people were saying form a tag team and push for titles or push for mid card title,

Same today with a Daniel Bryan thread..... Push for main event title, I agree that we want our favourites to win the big one but its past that now, Its to the stage of every time the IWC discusess what should happen to a charcater the majority want a push for a title,

This goes against the points of favourite wrestlers.How many favourites can 1 person have?

Also regarding titles being recognition, thats not always the case plenty of names out there that are remembered and are legends with out ever recieving the big ones.

I honestly think its got the point where a name is mentioned then people start to think. Well he's been around a couple of years, he's not bad, lets push him!!

El T Draino, Im glad you mentioned Dolph Ziggler in this because for me Dolph is very unique.....How many others have worked from the bottom and stayed lingering around the main event?

Take CM punk for example, How many people on here we're saying Punk deserves this and that, We need long title runs to legitamise the titles, then when we get it, nobody wants it...........
    Well, when you put it that way, I can see where you're coming from now. Yeah, it's gotten pretty bad when the common mindset appears that anyone who can execute a sunset flip is automatically a contender for a world title. Gabriel? Bourne? Really people? You want THEM as your champions? And about wrestlers not needing titles for recognition, that only works for people who can survive in their own niche. Piper really didn't need a world title because of how insanely popular he was. For others, like Ziggler, a world title is the might be the only difference between the ultimate prominence and the permanent label as a "never was". Who wants that?

A lot of solid points there man.

I've also noticed a trend in feuds these past few years that bothers me. 2 guys in a feud, in my opinion, should not fight every week. Let them fight other people, and the guy they are feuding with interrupt, or talk shit on the Titantron.

For example, Ziggler and Cena seem to fight EVERY week. Shouldn't the PPVs be a culmination of events, the big violent physical encounter thats been building for weeks? Kofi and Wade fought every week, that was their IC feud. Team Hell No and Rhode Scholars seem to have been fighting for months. They just recycle who fights who, or the format. I'd much rather see Rhode Scholars beat up on Santino and Ryder, grab a mic and say, "Hey Team Hell No. This will be you at the PPV." It also allows for more of the roster to get some well-deserved matches, while moving feuds further. Just a thought.

"I'm so damn good when I'm finished there won't be a dry eye - or dry seat - sorry ladies - in the entire arena." #HEEL