Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how aboot this?

I think they should do it with a ten man battle royal (with qualifying matches leading up to it), the the winner faces a champ on the same night.

Blog Entries
    Aboot? I thought this was going to be something about Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by PSOjedi View Post
    What would be the difference between the European title if it replaces the US ? Why would the WWE replace a midcard title by another one ? That makes no sense. Unifying the IC & US titles, and bring back the Cruiserweight title make sense and is the best idea for titles IMO
    The European title would be for the low card too. There are plenty of lower level guys who wouldn't be eligible for the Cruiserweight Title (Alex Riley, JTG, Santino, Brodus, Otunga, Big Zeke, Khali, McIntyre, McGillicutty, Prime Time Players, Usos). While having one World Title will make the IC Title more meaningful, having one World Title would mean certain lower main event guys etc. will clutter the IC Title scene. So the lower guys will need a singles belt to fight for as well.

Antonio Cesaro's reign is actually perfect. Have him retire the U.S. Title and bring back what he considers to be a "superior championship", the European Title. Once someone beats him for the belt, then they can just keep the Euro Title for whatever reason.

Personally I think that if they brought back the Cruiserweight, or Light Heavyweight belts, then it should be held by people on all levels of the card. Like every once in a while, someone like Punk, Ziggler, Miz, Christian, Kofi, or Cody could fight over it and make it feel like a big deal.

They should honestly bring back both, as well as the Hardcore Title.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    So your idea of "elevating" midcard talent into the top tier is to have the belt be matches between two main event level wrestlers?

I think his idea is to elevate the belt itself by having a top star carry it around and make it look like a big deal. When The Miz held the belt last summer, he carried himself like a top star and he hyped himself up as Intercontinental Champion.

Sheamus or Randy Orton could really make the belt look important. Beating one of them for the Intercontinental Title would do more for someone's career than beating Kofi Kingston for it. I think Wade Barrett is doing a good job of making the belt important right now. Barrett has been directionless since the fall of Nexus, but he's kept fairly credible and still carries around quite a huge bit of heat from the Nexus angle despite it happening over two years ago.

This is subjective to your opinion. The US title has more depth and history behind it. If focused in the right direction, the title has a higher glass ceiling than that of the European title.

In kayfabe, The United States Championship IS equal to the IC Title, but since the end of the brand split, the U.S. Title has been bumped down to Euro title status. In 2012, The U.S. Title has been held by lower level guys while the IC belt has been held by multiple former World Champions. In fact, I think the purpose of Zack Ryder winning the title at TLC 2011 was to transition the U.S. Title down to European Title level.
    Last edited by TempestH; 01-12-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    Aboot? I thought this was going to be something about Canada!
    I came here to make this post.

*kicks rocks*

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9
    The Last Of Us: Remastered (PS4)- 10
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)- 8.5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    I came here to make this post.

*kicks rocks*
    Yes! Totally sniped Ape! Second time in 2 days!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TempestH View Post
    The European title would be for the low card too. There are plenty of lower level guys who wouldn't be eligible for the Cruiserweight Title (Alex Riley, JTG, Santino, Brodus, Otunga, Big Zeke, Khali, McIntyre, McGillicutty, Prime Time Players, Usos). While having one World Title will make the IC Title more meaningful, having one World Title would mean certain lower main event guys etc. will clutter the IC Title scene. So the lower guys will need a singles belt to fight for as well.

Antonio Cesaro's reign is actually perfect. Have him retire the U.S. Title and bring back what he considers to be a "superior championship", the European Title. Once someone beats him for the belt, then they can just keep the Euro Title for whatever reason.

Personally I think that if they brought back the Cruiserweight, or Light Heavyweight belts, then it should be held by people on all levels of the card. Like every once in a while, someone like Punk, Ziggler, Miz, Christian, Kofi, or Cody could fight over it and make it feel like a big deal.

They should honestly bring back both, as well as the Hardcore Title.

I think his idea is to elevate the belt itself by having a top star carry it around and make it look like a big deal. When The Miz held the belt last summer, he carried himself like a top star and he hyped himself up as Intercontinental Champion.

Sheamus or Randy Orton could really make the belt look important. Beating one of them for the Intercontinental Title would do more for someone's career than beating Kofi Kingston for it. I think Wade Barrett is doing a good job of making the belt important right now. Barrett has been directionless since the fall of Nexus, but he's kept fairly credible and still carries around quite a huge bit of heat from the Nexus angle despite it happening over two years ago.

In kayfabe, The United States Championship IS equal to the IC Title, but since the end of the brand split, the U.S. Title has been bumped down to Euro title status. In 2012, The U.S. Title has been held by lower level guys while the IC belt has been held by multiple former World Champions. In fact, I think the purpose of Zack Ryder winning the title at TLC 2011 was to transition the U.S. Title down to European Title level.
    Spot on. This is exactly what i was getting at. My apologies if i was not clear. Cheers TempestH. Couldn't of put it better myself so no need for a long reply from me now.

Which begs me to question the fact why many would consider RVD holding the X-Division belt a travesty, yet praise this similar stand as being a good idea; it’s the same idea. The idea of a Orton or Sheamus holding the IC belt would be viewed (in general mind you) as a step backwards or demotion in their career path whereas RVD holding the X title fits the characters style of wrestling. This regression would solidify the view of the belt as being in the minor leagues and people would question if Orton had suffered another drug suspension. With Sheamus, there is too much momentum, so putting the IC belt on him would seem like a halt to his push, not making the IC belt be "desired over the WHC" when the WHC and WWE belt merge. At that point, wouldn't Sheamus (in theory) want to go after the WWE belt, or is his character the type to "settle" for the belt that is, has, and always will be viewed as the "midcard" belt?

You named the best candidate for the idea with Wade Barrett because it is someone that isn’t thought of as “just” in the main event. He can garner the momentum and following to use the belt as a step stool (which is exactly what the belt has always been intended to be) into the main event, much like how Miz used it to gain credibility once again. But the fact is, it doesn’t matter who holds it or how many superstars you give the belt to, if it is treated as a prop, it will always be thought of as a prop - Example: Cody Rhodes run with it (not to mention the fact that taking away the WHC and giving this belt to SmackDown is a slap to anyone who competes regularly on the show. You are basically saying that the show is worth only a mid card title and anyone in the “upper level” who is featured on there is just someone they don’t want to fire, but aren’t a credible threat to the “real” championship.)

I don’t care if it’s “kayfabe” or “legit”, there is more history, bigger names, and more depth to pull from with the US title than the Euro title. Does it fit for Claudio? Yes, but that doesn’t mean it’s a “good” idea to change the name of a belt to make it the TV title (which is what the Euro belt was for WWF) when there is more lineage to the US belt. If anything, you are making the belts less valued because you are taking the history away from what makes it something desirable; Example – "I want to hold the very same belt that was held by the likes of Harley Race, Blackjack Mulligan, Wahoo McDaniel, Roddy Piper, Ricky Steamboat, Tully Blanchard, Barry Windham, etc. over the course of 5 decades" now becomes "I want the belt that was founded in 1997 and had 4 reigns longer than 100 days after 38 title changes before the WWE gave up on it and made it defunct."

I’m sorry, but I don’t see how it being the European belt gives the belt holder more credibility than the US belt when in all honesty, it’s the person holding it and his individual reign that brings credit, or takes prestige from said belt.
    Last edited by Darkside Ron Garvin; 01-12-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

Quote Originally Posted by TTZT View Post
    Cesaro too bring back the EU Championship!
    Excellent idea!!

I'm all for bringing back the European Championship or even the Hardcore Championship because they qualify for the Grand Slam Championship. If someone started wrestling in WWE after 2002 (like 90% of the current roster), it's currently impossible to reach that achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    Which begs me to question the fact why many would consider RVD holding the X-Division belt a travesty, yet praise this similar stand as being a good idea; it’s the same idea. The idea of a Orton or Sheamus holding the IC belt would be viewed (in general mind you) as a step backwards or demotion in their career path whereas RVD holding the X title fits the characters style of wrestling. This regression would solidify the view of the belt as being in the minor leagues and people would question if Orton had suffered another drug suspension. With Sheamus, there is too much momentum, so putting the IC belt on him would seem like a halt to his push, not making the IC belt be "desired over the WHC" when the WHC and WWE belt merge. At that point, wouldn't Sheamus (in theory) want to go after the WWE belt, or is his character the type to "settle" for the belt that is, has, and always will be viewed as the "midcard" belt?

You named the best candidate for the idea with Wade Barrett because it is someone that isn’t thought of as “just” in the main event. He can garner the momentum and following to use the belt as a step stool (which is exactly what the belt has always been intended to be) into the main event, much like how Miz used it to gain credibility once again. But the fact is, it doesn’t matter who holds it or how many superstars you give the belt to, if it is treated as a prop, it will always be thought of as a prop - Example: Cody Rhodes run with it (not to mention the fact that taking away the WHC and giving this belt to SmackDown is a slap to anyone who competes regularly on the show. You are basically saying that the show is worth only a mid card title and anyone in the “upper level” who is featured on there is just someone they don’t want to fire, but aren’t a credible threat to the “real” championship.)

I don’t care if it’s “kayfabe” or “legit”, there is more history, bigger names, and more depth to pull from with the US title than the Euro title. Does it fit for Claudio? Yes, but that doesn’t mean it’s a “good” idea to change the name of a belt to make it the TV title (which is what the Euro belt was for WWF) when there is more lineage to the US belt. If anything, you are making the belts less valued because you are taking the history away from what makes it something desirable; Example – "I want to hold the very same belt that was held by the likes of Harley Race, Blackjack Mulligan, Wahoo McDaniel, Roddy Piper, Ricky Steamboat, Tully Blanchard, Barry Windham, etc. over the course of 5 decades" now becomes "I want the belt that was founded in 1997 and had 4 reigns longer than 100 days after 38 title changes before the WWE gave up on it and made it defunct."

I’m sorry, but I don’t see how it being the European belt gives the belt holder more credibility than the US belt when in
    all honesty, it’s the person holding it and his individual reign that brings credit, or takes prestige from said belt.
    Sheamus took that step backwards a long time ago. He is already a 2 time WWE Champion. But when he won the Royal Rumble, he could have gone after the biggest prize, the WWE Championship, but he instead chose to go after the World Heavyweight Championship, which basically is a midcard title ever since the Brand Split ended. CM Punk even called the World Heavyweight Champion the Second Best in the World. Even the almighty Triple H held the IC Title after winning the WWE Title. IF the winner of this years Royal Rumble chooses to go after the WHC, when he has a chance to have a match against The Rock, or end CM Punk's long reign, he will be "settling for the lesser title".

The fact is, the bigger stars go after the WWE Championship while the people who go after the WHC are guys who are "good, but not good enough." A guy like Daniel Bryan has held the World Championship, but he's only a world champion on paper. And look at TLC. The only reason why Dolph Ziggler went over John Cena and retained the briefcase is because Cena's too good to be involved with the WHC. I just don't think it's right to have a "lower tier world title" that only exists to "test new stars" or give "thank you" title reigns to veterans. While the IC Title is lower than the WHC, the WHC is worse because it's a consolation prize.

SmackDown IS the lesser show than RAW at this point. Aside from Alberto Del Rio winning the WHC this week, nothing important ever happens on SD. Any storyline development between the main event SmackDown guys happens on RAW. If the company puts any value in a Superstar, he will be regularly appearing on RAW. Honestly, at this point I think they should officially make SmackDown the B-show, and draft all of their top stars to RAW, and draft all the low level guys to SmackDown. The IC Champ can be on both shows, but SD would be HIS show.

The United States Title has quite the respectable lineage, and that's why it should be retired. Right now WWE treats it like a lower championship. Right now the bigger stars go after the IC Title while the lower guys go after the U.S. Title. I would rather WWE create its own Television Championship, or reinstate the European Championship, instead of treating the belt that with all that rich history and held by all those legends as a lesser prize just because it came from WCW.
    Last edited by TempestH; 01-13-2013 at 04:08 AM.