Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

WWE: Lost art of the Finishing Move

Okay, forget the RKO (Diamond Cutter) for now; but lately I'm not getting excited by anyone's finishing move.

Everyone has a variation of "safe" moves like the spear, DDT or (reversed) complete shot.

Whether it was *snore* the Ultimate Warriors clothelines, the Hogan Legdrop, People's Elbow or the Stone Cold Stunner - they were moves that popped the crowd. But lately I don't get excited by any finish - no-one has a dramatic finishing move anymore.

I miss the days when J.R. yelled, "It's the STONE COLD STUNNER, THE STONE COLD STUNNER, BAW GAWD!!!!!!!

Your thoughts?

Those moves were lame.

I think it was just the announcers that made it seem kewl.

But Morrison has a pretty cool move.
    I am trying my best to get this account back. XOXOXOXOXOXO~ -PandaMassacre

But does the crowd pop?

The best moves are the ones you can do way into your career. I would like to see Morrison do that when he is 40 years old. Smart wrestlers use moves with longevity like the Walls of Jericho, Pedigree (heavy on the knees though - and no, I don't like HHH) and Sharpshooter. Flashy moves don't always win the crowd, but it MUST add drama.

Stone Cold was nothing without the Stunner. Everyone hated him, until the first time he hit it on Savio Vega - then the tide turned. Something about it turned the audience. The Rock Bottom and People's Elbow evolved. They were lame at first, but with time - and proper selling - they turned into classics.

Poor MVP is stuck with a finishing move not even Randy Orton could sell when he used it. And the Zig Zag and Skull Crushing Finale is a waste of time as Edge used the Complete Shot years ago as a mid-match move.

The best finishing moves need to relate to the wrestler's build and their personality. David Otunga uses the Spinebuster (or Ron Simmon's Spinebuster) quite well though.

Fresh Member
    the walls of jericho looks really weak these days, it barely finishers ppl off just jobbers tap to that, a move that wows me is Samoa Joe's muscle buster looks like it'd hurt
    X360 Gamertag- War7head7

Mis......terrr...Anderson.......And..der...son!!!!

Thats why I prefer a wrestler with multiple finishes. Take AJ for example. I love the Styles Clash but he isnt strong enough to do that on everyone so he also has the Pele' and the Springboard 450. So yeah the Styles Clash is his FInish but both of those moves are high impact enough that they are believable as a finish also.
    AWESOME!!!

i think the RKO gets quite a pop when Randy hits it...him hittin the RKO on Evan Bourne mid air was pretty classic...but if u look at it none of the top guys have an amazing finisher...like someone pointed out, the announcers make a big noise over it...for instance Cena uses a simple Fireman's carry...i mean if ppl can kick out of a suplex...then i don't see y an Attitude Adjustment could put u out...then there is Y2J's Code Breaker...it looks as if Jericho is gettin the worst of it if u kno wat i mean...and then Taker's Tombstone...come on, the guy's head hardly hits the floor at all...I could go on...

Morrision's move is quite awesome...but many a times he hardly lands on the spot...Zig Zag is stupid and so is the Finale thingy that The Miz uses...the subject to this thread is the art of Finishing Moves...but even the legends hardly had a great finisher...Hogan's leg drop was the lamest and look what status he ahs achieved in the busuines...

i think its just me...but i feel that a submission finishing move is more effective that a finisher...don't get me wrong but thats just my opinion...sure there are a few decent finishing moves but a submission will bring u to the edge of u'r seat to see if the opponent is gonna tap or no...for instance The Sharpshooter...Walls of Jericho (though it hardly gets Jericho a win these days)...even Punk stopped using the Anaconda Vice...and for the record...i think Del Rio's got a stupid submission finisher...i really don see how that could make anyone tap out...but what do i kno?......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Incubus_99 View Post
    i think its just me...but i feel that a submission finishing move is more effective that a finisher...don't get me wrong but thats just my opinion...sure there are a few decent finishing moves but a submission will bring u to the edge of u'r seat to see if the opponent is gonna tap or no...for instance The Sharpshooter...Walls of Jericho (though it hardly gets Jericho a win these days)...even Punk stopped using the Anaconda Vice...and for the record...i think Del Rio's got a stupid submission finisher...i really don see how that could make anyone tap out...but what do i kno?......
    Punk still uses the Anaconda Vice. he used it on JTG on last week's Smackdown. And Del Rio's submission is awesome IMO! Danel Bryan's crossface is pretty mean too, can't wait to see Miz tap out to that, or the Cattle Mutilation at NOC!!
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Blog Entries
    There really isn't much one can do anymore in terms of finishing moves. Most of the basic finishing moves have been taken and that's probably the reason we are seeing so many variations of other moves. Also it not just the move that wows the crowd, it how and when its hit. The crowd doesn't want to be able to see it coming. It's the unpredictability that makes the manuever special. For instance, sweet chin music, rko, stunner, rock bottom. Those superstars would hit their finishers out of nowhere and that's what excited the crowd.
    "Your soul is mine!"

yes i did see Punk use it on Samckdown...but my point is he doesn't use it often...Daniel Bryan's cross face is quite mean...i'm just waiting for them to start using him properly rather than is a 5 minute match...this kids got talent right...and hes got a following...WWE needs to capitalize and explore possibilities rather than jsut push Cena, Orton and the likes...i just can't wait for the day Daniel Bryan headlines Wrestlemania...

Also it not just the move that wows the crowd, it how and when its hit.
    My Point exactly. The finisher itself is not really the point. MOSTover the years haven't been the greatest moces. The move has to be sold, not only by the guy giving it but by the guy taking it and most importantly the ANNOUNCE team. The stunner was so great because Austin sold the hell out of it and, if the guy he hit it on did it right it LOOKED awesome but JR's going bat sh*^ crazy over it was what made it seem like an incredible finish...when in all reality it was a guy bending over and jumping backward. (his best? Shane when Shane was drinking the beer... damn good on all fronts.). You can do a youtube search on finishers and see some incredible moves that LOOK like they are going to put a guy out but those moves also endanger the guy recieving them. WWE isn't about to end a guys career prematurely just for a finisher. Orton is smart, his finisher is simple, looks cool, does the job, and he can do it on anyone with very little negative impact on himself. (He also sold the bloody hell out of HBK's Sweet Chin Music... go youtube it.). Anyone, my point is really that it comes down to timing and selling... The move itself CAN be a leg drop and it'll WORK if you implement it correctly. As far as the physical effects of a move
    for instance Cena uses a simple Fireman's carry...i mean if ppl can kick out of a suplex...then i don't see y an Attitude Adjustment could put u out...
    you can get into this discussion... It's like when a guy can wrestle through a 20 minute no DQ, chairshot fest and get up, hit his finisher and win the match...not to mention walk back out of the ring to the lockerroom, but he takes one minor bump while talking in the back or while in the ring on the mic and he doesn't get up for ten minutes or is out for the night. I'll chalk that up to "willing suspension of disbelief...Which you must have in order to really enjoy a wrestling match. Otherwise go watch an MMA match.

I do not aim with my hand;
    He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.
    I do not shoot with my hand;
    He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun;
    He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.