View Poll Results: Does WWE Need another "Montreal" like Event?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 41.67%
  • No

5 41.67%
  • Undecided

2 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fresh Member

WWE needs another "Montreal"

Last night, i dug out the old VHS collection. Wrestling pay-per-views of years past, mostly the late 80's thru early 00's. Wrestlemania XII, solid. SummerSlam 92, entertaining. Survivor Series 97...Epic.

Ask any wrestling fan what moment stands out to him the most...
    and if they're truthful, they'll replay "Montreal"

How many one word conversation starters do you know? Mention the word "Montreal" to a wrestling fan, and pandemonium is sure to ensue. "Vince was wrong! Bret was screwed!" or "Screw Bret! He was disrespection the company!" Either way you look at it, the moment itself was monumental, even if the situtation was beyond comprehension for most people at the time. The effects lasted nearly a decade. The Montreal Screwjob ushered in a new era of professional wrestling...one where you no longer knew exactly what to expect. Could it happen again?...Would it happen again? Will it happen again? or WHEN will it happen again?

The Montreal Screwjob is the sole reason that WWE pulled out of its slump, and got a huge jump on WCW...because all of the sudden, everyone wanted to know what was going to happen next. What was Vince going to do? How would D-X react to the situation? How gritty could the WWE get?

I think another major event is due to happen again...maybe not with the magnitude of Survivor Series 97, but something compelling nonetheless.

Wrestling has become rather stale over the last few years. There's been nothing new, not very many big name stars rising up, at least not any that can rival guys like Hart, Michaels, Austin, The Rock, Etc. I think another "Screwjob" like event is well in order, if for nothing, the good of the company, just like Vince thought when he originally screwed The Hitman.

Comments are welcome.

Blog Entries
    I dont see it happening anytime soon but what do i know? However, the Montreal Screw Job is the Genesis for the Mr. McMahon character.

Blog Entries
    I think what WWE needs is some decent competition to light a fire under them. But hey, that's unlikely anytime soon

Seems simple, but you can't just force a moment likethe one in Montreal. They've tried to replicate the screwjob a couple of times and it sucked.

I think tna needs to push wwe abit before anything even worth warching is gonna happen soon stale is not the word lol

Well, in order to have a Montreal Screwjob, Vince would have to royally screw someone over for real (not scripted). What makes the Montreal Screwjob so significant is the fact it was a real screwjob not a scripted screwjob. Personally, though I don't see something like this happening again. Sure WWE has tried to duplicate the whole screwjob situation but it's scripted & not something that is truly a personal matter between two parties.

Quote Originally Posted by himfandelux View Post
    The Montreal Screwjob is the sole reason that WWE pulled out of its slump, and got a huge jump on WCW...because all of the sudden, everyone wanted to know what was going to happen next.
    That, and the fact that as soon as WCW did get Bret Hart, they did nothing with him. If the right people were in charge of WCW, it maybe still alive today.

But as others mentioned, you can't recreate that. Montreal was a very real thing. The fact it's considered a turning point showed how well the WWE can use reality to sell a story and how badly WCW could.

WCW was a mess inside & out. Ted Turner wasn't stupid for selling the product because Bischoff sent it to the ground pretty much. TNA is taking the same path. Bischoff & Hogan are like death cards.

You'll never get another Montreal moment becuase as otehrs have stated, that was actually real however WWE is in huge need of a massive Surprise that will actually change the layout...and i dont mean Nexus.

tbh i think the last OMG moment was when Vinces limo got blown up, i actually remember thinking wow cant believe they did that and couldnt wait for the next RAW (unfortunitly Benoit decided to murder his family that week which fucked everything up)

my possible ideas include: - Obviously merge Smackdown and Raw (there isnt enough talent for two shows but together there would be enough main eventers to help build younegr talent)
    - Bring back JBL with some leadership role (whether that be in GM form, co-owner whatever...he is an amazing heel, in fact pair him with Vicky and your on to a garentueed winner)
    - Buy AJ Styles and Kurt Angle (sure you will say AJ would never go WWE - Bullshit everyone has their price!! dig deep Vince that would shock us....and Kurt would come back if you offered him an Undertaker like contract and let him do his own films etc)
    - Create a faction to rival Nexus?
    - Burn Kane, give him 6-12months off to make a film then bring him back in his mask
    - Change theSmackdown set...who teh f*** had the bright idea of have Raw and Smackdown look exactly the same?
    - Turn Cena Heel

etc etc etc ..... just do something for feck sake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trasler View Post
    tbh i think the last OMG moment was when Vinces limo got blown up, i actually remember thinking wow cant believe they did that and couldnt wait for the next RAW (unfortunitly Benoit decided to murder his family that week which fucked everything up)
    Oh shit, that made me laugh. Does that make me an evil person?
    Always blame the fat guy.