On punk being to "small"

So I hear/see a lot of talk about punk being to "small" to face certain people such as Ryback, taker, brock, and look like a credible threat to them, I see most of it on the news board saying "wwe creative" thinks that way, but I also see a good amount of fans think the same way. My question is why do the likes of Y2j, Hbk, Rey mysterio, and such get viewed as credible threat but not punk?

I can understand if their character is built that why, but Punk still seems more of a threat to other then someone like hbk or rey

On punk being to "small"

I think punk is steel new in the wrestling industry.
    And other wrestlers like taker, mysterio, and many more are in the industry for long time and they have prove themselves .

Blog Entries
    I don't even know where to start here... adam, punk has been in the wrestling industry since the attitude era, and been in the wwe for a long time now... I don't think anyone takes punk lightly. The guy has been champ for over a year, for a longer stretch of time than even john cena. I don't understand how you can really say people don't take punk seriously?
    #BeJelly

I completely know where your coming from.

Anyone on this site is going to be a massive fan of wrestling and love punk for his long career. Meaning his early day to and his WWE career. So regardless of whether he's small we dont care because we love what he does anyway. The problem lies in making a STAR out of Punk. Punk has been the focus of the show for over a year and the rating are down.

As good as Punk is, in my opinion the best full time performer in the business right now, when the casual fan switch on WWE and sees him beating Ryback, Undertaker, or Triple H, it looks a bit unbelievable. Yes this is FAKE wrestling, but there has to be a bit of realism!

I personally love watching Punk but i dont think hes the guy who is going to appeal to a larger audience and I think that is due to his size. My opinion is supported by the ratings.

I look at the current WWE Champion and I think I have a chance. Im a fairly in shape guy. If i had a legit fight with him, if i dont win i would push him to the limits. If i had a fight with the rock......never mind I'm not stupid enough to entertain the idea i would even try.

Yes Punk being small is a setback.

I know what your thinking in regards to small performers....

No Punk is not as good as HBK. HBK is a one off.

You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. CM Punk might look small but that doesn't mean he can't take care of himself if someone comes and starts fighting with him. I've read somewhere about Yoshi getting the better of Sheamus or something like that a while ago.

Senior Member/Featured Blogger wrestlingfan66513's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I don't even know where to start here... adam, punk has been in the wrestling industry since the attitude era, and been in the wwe for a long time now... I don't think anyone takes punk lightly. The guy has been champ for over a year, for a longer stretch of time than even john cena. I don't understand how you can really say people don't take punk seriously?
    this, I am pretty sure you are going to get taken seriously if you've been champion for over a year
    #BennysTeddy

Efedding

Mike Hawk
    EWNCW World Champion (11-12-13 to 5/1/14) Vacated
    Current IWA World Champion (12-15-13 to Present)
    IWA Blackout Champion (3-24-13 to 4-27-14)
    Former JBW Television Champion (12-2-12 to 8-2-13)
    Former ICW Tag Team champion
    1st and last EWA Carnage World champion

Mixed Emotions (Pride and Sorrow)
    Current EWNCW World Tag Team Champions (4-19-13 to 4-26-14)
    Last EWNCW Grand, Hardcore and International Tag Champions

For me, the debate of too small or big enough died many years ago.

As for Punk, he's proved how good he is over and over again. Anyone still doubting anything about him, will never get him and it's as simple as that.

IWA:
    1x Tag Team Champion - Ramon/Infection.
    IWA & EWN Tag Team of the Year 2013 - Ramon/Infection.

HWA:
    1x Adrenaline Champion - Ramon.
    HWA & EWN Champion of the Year 2012 - Ramon.
    Feud of the Year 2012 - Ramon/Clique
    Shocking Moment of the Year 2012 - Ramon/Clique

General:
    Feud of the Year 2013 - Rock/Ambrose.
    Promo of the Year 2013 - Rock/Ambrose.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    I completely know where your coming from.

Anyone on this site is going to be a massive fan of wrestling and love punk for his long career. Meaning his early day to and his WWE career. So regardless of whether he's small we dont care because we love what he does anyway. The problem lies in making a STAR out of Punk. Punk has been the focus of the show for over a year and the rating are down.

As good as Punk is, in my opinion the best full time performer in the business right now, when the casual fan switch on WWE and sees him beating Ryback, Undertaker, or Triple H, it looks a bit unbelievable. Yes this is FAKE wrestling, but there has to be a bit of realism!

I personally love watching Punk but i dont think hes the guy who is going to appeal to a larger audience and I think that is due to his size. My opinion is supported by the ratings.

I look at the current WWE Champion and I think I have a chance. Im a fairly in shape guy. If i had a legit fight with him, if i dont win i would push him to the limits. If i had a fight with the rock......never mind I'm not stupid enough to entertain the idea i would even try.

Yes Punk being small is a setback.

I know what your thinking in regards to small performers....

No Punk is not as good as HBK. HBK is a one off.
    You nailed it sir!

There is the gap between serious and casual wrestling fans. Serious wrestling fans are probably going to want to watch people that can "work" in the ring, while casual wrestling fans are probably going to want to watch people that are more a phenomenon. Bigger guys tend to fit that "phenomenon" perception more than a guy the size of CM Punk. There's that story that's been bandied about for years about Jericho taking down Goldberg in a locker-room altercation in seconds because Jericho's a legit wrestler and a legit tough athlete and Goldberg's pretty much all show and thought that Jericho would be as impressed by him as casual wrestling fans always had been. I suspect that Punk could similarly take care of much bigger guys in a shoot situation, but I also think the OP is correct here - that smaller guys do have a bigger hill to climb than a huge guy like Ryback in convincing casual fans that they're a reason to turn on their TV or to buy a PPV or DVD.

I always heard Punk was pretty big.

Oh wait.

You mean another kind of small.
    I'd rather have nothing than have a lie.