Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

deangelo dinero or why some wrestlers should not be allowed to be themselves.

I may be going against the crowd on this one but I have to say it...
    "THE BLACK POPE" DEANGELO DINERO IS AN AWFUL CHARACTER.
    First off, What the HELL is he supposed to be? A pimp? The name conjurs up Bishop Don "Magic" Juan. You know, that pimp who hangs out with Snoop. But let's delve "deeper" shall we?
    The Black Pope. Ok, so is he supposed to be some sort of DARK, DEMONIC character or just a "black" Pope as in African-American...? This makes NO sense.
    I guess it's "cool" if you are into that sort of thing... Dark, pimp/church leader wrestlers. It's a niche woefully underepresented in professional wrestling.
    Ok, so moving past the name. We can all admit Elij... I mean Deangelo is a pretty good wrestler. I'm willing to give him that. But I draw the line at "mic skills". Do you remember Damon Wayans character on "In living color", the guy in jail trying to use all the BIG words but having NO idea what any of them meant? bingo. Listening to "Pope" speak is like watching a really determined midget trying to dunk a basketball. Instead of doing the Money Drop, "Pope" should save a few bucks and buy himself an English textbook. (and maybe sign up for an acting class or two at the learning annex).
    It was rumored that Elijah Burke came up with the "Black Pope", character back when he was midcarding "ECW" and WWE dumped him like a fat girl at a junior high dance because he wouldn't stop. (You know when soneone says "hey, I had the coolest dream" and they start telling you about it and you immeadiately tune them out? yeah, like that.) Well, someone at TNA was like "GREAT IDEA!" (terrible idea) and they let him run with it. Now I have to listen to "THE BLACK POPE" come out every week, make no sense and botch 5 of evey 8 words he says to end up seeing him have a so-so match with Abyss.
    The BEST thing he has done with the character was punk Bischoff backstage and even then old "Easy E" out shined "Pope" through the whole thing.
    Finally, isn't this character just a bit of a sterreotype? Why do ALL SUCCESSFUL African-American wrestlers have to be stereotypes?? (Thank you Jay Lethal for NOT being one... you are the exception proving the rule.)
    Please, Elijah, STOP with the gimmick already. You are LITERALLY setting back African-Americans 40 years with it. Hogan could come out in blackface and tap dance and STILL be less of a stereotype than Deangelo Dinero.
    Ok, That's my rant.

Wow .........!

"Dont Drop the Soap" *clap clap clap clap clap* "Dont Drop the Soap" *clap clap clap clap clap* "Dont Drop the Soap" *clap clap clap clap clap* "Dont Drop the Soap" *clap clap clap clap clap*

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/commun...ship-Wrestling We need YOU!!!

www.myspace.com/twinjets

You are onto something with the Afro-American characters in wrestling. they always have something stereotypical (Godfather=pimp, R-Truth=rapper)

I guess the only one without that type of gimmick is Mark Henry as the World's Strongest Man. And it's not limited to Afro-Americans, samoans almost always have the Umaga character, Puerto Ricans and Cubans have the Razor Ramon/Carlito character.

Guess creative juices are on low.

"I am not a NUGGET!"

the "pope" really gets on my nerves

Cant quite put my finger on what it is but when he's on i switch the channel
    Hate his promos, average in the ring and the whole congregation thing drives me nuts.

yuck, just yuck!

Think youve looked far to deep into all this, You ever heard the saying "If you create a character keep it close to yourself"? Well R Truth is into Rap just as John Cena was when he was in Character, Stone Cold played a great red neck cos he was a redneck .
    The samoans come from their style of wrestling hence their wild gimmicks and characters.
    I understand that the pope isnt always clear with his gimmick but it works and i enjoy it and the crowd gets behind, which the business is about

Blog Entries
    Pope is cool. Don't agree with you

Disagree. He is more of a religous guy that came from the streets. Not a pimp but still uses "pimp" refrences.

I have never seen a character like that but it works and I like it. TNA gave him what WWE never did. A chance to shine.

Elijah Burke< D'angelo Dinero

Seriously! At his last days on ECW, he was wearing this out outfit that reminded me of Orlando Jordan now!

This character is better.

Quote Originally Posted by el gabo View Post
    You are onto something with the Afro-American characters in wrestling. they always have something stereotypical (Godfather=pimp, R-Truth=rapper)

I guess the only one without that type of gimmick is Mark Henry as the World's Strongest Man. And it's not limited to Afro-Americans, samoans almost always have the Umaga character, Puerto Ricans and Cubans have the Razor Ramon/Carlito character.

Guess creative juices are on low.
    And stereotypes are at a new high.

I liked "the Pope" even when he was in ECW. But I think he makes a better heel then a face.

Blog Entries
    I don't care for the pope and tire of hearing about his congregation.

*Side Note - What was the big guy's name that Pope used to lead to the ring in WWE and what happened to him? I remember the announcer saying he lost in the NCAA wrestling championships to Kurt Angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Cranium View Post
    I don't care for the pope and tire of hearing about his congregation.

*Side Note - What was the big guy's name that Pope used to lead to the ring in WWE and what happened to him? I remember the announcer saying he lost in the NCAA wrestling championships to Kurt Angle.
    Sylvester Terkay?

I think he didn't like the wrestling in the WWE.