Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Raw 1000 - the night AJ Lee jumped the shark

I'm going to say this right off the bat - I've never, and I mean NEVER, been a fan of AJ Lee. I've never understood her appeal. Her wrestling skills are overrated, her mic skills are terrible, her character (even before she turned into a "crazy chick") is annoying, and in terms of beauty, I find her to be one of the least attactive Divas to ever grace the WWE roster.

But oh well, apparently I'm in the minority. Fact is, alot of WWE fans do like AJ...or at least they did.

In terms of Divas, 2012 definately was the year of AJ, and she rightfully deserved to win the Slammy for Diva of the Year. But how people viewed AJ at the beginning of the 2012 is not how people are viewing her as we head into 2013. When she was paired with Daniel Bryan, people viewed her as a breakout star that may be the next face of the Divas division. She appealed to young fans, especially girls, and had the popularity been put into competition with Eve or Beth Phoenix, she could've revived the Divas division to pre-2008 standards. Literally, she could've been this generation's Trish Stratus or Lita.

The entire storyline with Daniel Bryan was like an unintentional GOLDMINE. The fans were eating it up, and when CM Punk and Kane got involved in it, AJ's popularity hit it's peak. People bought into the whole "emotionally abused" schtick that left a timid and innocent Diva now mentally unstable. I think in the eyes of many, it was only a matter of time before she got stopped playing mind-games with the men and became a competitor. Momentum was at an all time high, and the cheers and chants were never louder...

And then Raw 1000 happened.

The moment Vince made AJ the General Manager of Raw is the moment the hype started to die down and the momentum began to fade. AJ's reason for being crazy no longer had a point to it. Now she was just crazy for the sake of being crazy. She no longer had a reason to hate Bryan, Punk, or Kane, but decided to make their lives hell anyways. The fans started to scratch their heads, and week by week, the cheers got a softer and softer, until it became apparent AJ as GM wasn't working out.

So then creative introduced the storyline that killed AJ's momentum completely - Vickie Guerrero and "The AJ Scandal". Apparently, AJ had the hots for Cena, and they may or may not have been sleeping together. Did we ever find out? No. But that didn't stop WWE from dragging it out week after week, repeat after repeat, Raw and SmackDown, for months on end. By being associated with John Cena, AJ became the female equivalent. Her positive reactions from the crowd, which had decreased when she was GM, were now mixed reactions. The young fans still cheered her because she was a "good guy", but the older fans turned on her.

And now we've reached the final nail in the coffin - AJ's heel turn. As we learned on Miz TV last night, AJ never deserved our sympathy in the first place, and she isn't crazy. Ziggler says she's passionate, but to translate Miz's PG jokes - she's just an attention seeking slut who will try to sleep with any guy that gives her the time of day. A hoeski who gets nothing but heat.

In the span of a year, WWE destroyed the most popular Diva they've had since the Ruthless Aggression Era. It took six months to build her up, and six months to bring her down. Well done, creative. Pat yourselves on the back. I guess we'd better start looking to Paige or a SDR-trained Diva to revive the Divas division, because it certainly isn't going to be AJ that will do it. The woman has been typecast for the rest of her career as a slutty lunatic, and if she does win the Divas title, it won't be as it's top star.

Who agrees or disagrees?
    Last edited by Jack Newport; 12-19-2012 at 07:00 PM.

WWE, sense and storylines are 3 words you can not use in the same sentence so.....

I agree with the build and kill thing, but now perhaps her character will become better as she 100% changed. She's now a heel, and the leader of a stable, no more GM and perhaps she will be more in the ring also. In 2013, I can see AJ as the Divas champ, and a feud vs Kaitlyn. Perhaps Kaitlyn will be Divas champ at RR, then after Eve's rematch, Kaitlyn(c) vs AJ can start. 2013 will be great for her.

Could not agree more, especially with the first paragraph.

Blog Entries
    I'd rather see this savior of the diva division skip around Cena and Ziggler than watch the other savior of the diva division trying to wrestle and fall off a turnbuckle on her first ppv..
    Last edited by Marx; 12-19-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Correct typo
    Chris Jericho: 'Without a storyline, wrestling is just two guys in their underwear rolling around half naked.'

great thread, agree with everything. She was great pre-raw 1000 but now i dont like her

Blog Entries
    I have to agree with most of that. I do think aj is probably one of the more attractive divas on the roster, but it's not very attractive that she makes out with every man on the roster... and that's kind of her gimmick at this point. when every kiss of the year was with her and a male wrestler you know you need to switch gimmicks.
    #BeJelly

I am a fan of AJ. Is she a whore? Yes. Is she a psycho? Yes. Is she hot? Yes. My reason for liking AJ? She's a crazy hot whore, which are the type of women I have a soft spot for.
    Brad Maddox is the new face of the WWE!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kaymakcian View Post
    I am a fan of AJ. Is she a whore? Yes. Is she a psycho? Yes. Is she hot? Yes. My reason for liking AJ? She's a crazy hot whore, which are the type of women I have a soft spot for.
    only a soft spot?
    #BeJelly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kaymakcian View Post
    You've never had a girlfriend have you? Because while you may convince me of being attracted to someone "hot", you'll never convince me that it's soooooo great when a "crazy chick" shreds your clothes, sells/gives away your stuff, drives away all your friends, makes false battery reports to the police about you and/or makes you lose your job. Yep - that's surely some real appealing stuff going on there. And "whore"? So you're ok with a girl you like, screwing your friends or members of your family without aid of protection of any sort and possibly for money? That's gotta be great for your self esteem!

Guys - we have ourselves a virgin here! He just outed himself!!

I still dont see AJ as a heel though...tweener at least...she still acts similar and is attacking cena like she did with Danielson and punk...and she didnt attack cena cause she was pretending to like him and was with ziggler all the long she attacked him cause she thought she was being used and being messed around by him...and after what Daniel Bryan was like with her the last thing she would want is to be used etc again...she apparently did like him...and she is with ziggler cause she thinks he likes her but JBL and i think the miz thinks ziggler is using her...but yeah i admit i dont like how they are making her kiss every wrestler under the sun...i do have a soft spot for AJ i do think she is a good wrestler (watch her in fcw and the indies) and now she is a tweener/heel...the "hoeski" like chants are gonna come into play soon...which is what i think is a shame...i mean i would like to she her as a heel/tweener though see was a heel in fcw at some point.
    Last edited by DannyBoy; 12-19-2012 at 02:07 PM.