Page 91 of 101 FirstFirst ... 41 818990919293 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    So I was listening to the radio the other day and someone brought up an interesting topic that I've been thinking about off and on for a while now. Basically they played a clip of a guy stating that there hasn't been a rock icon that has become popular in the past 25 years... Someone brought up Kurt Cobain but he said that he wasn't really a Rock Icon and it got me thinking...

One, does Cobain deserve to be considered a Rock Icon with names like John Lennon or Robert Plant?

And also is there a rock legend that became famous in the past 25 years... The first name that came to my mind when I asked myself that question was Eddie Vedder... Pearl Jam has been huge forever now and they have influenced modern music a ton... Eddie has name recognition at least from where I live but that might be unfair beings I live fairly close to the place that Pearl Jam originated from...

Also I think Kurt is a Rock Icon. The reasoning that he wasn't around for long doesn't change the fact that he might be one of the top five most recognizable names in all of Rock music. What do you guys think? Anyone you'd say is a Rock Icon?
    If we are talking fame, it's Marilyn Manson, without a doubt, followed by Trent Reznor.

Say my name and his in the same breath, I dare you to say they taste they same.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Asherdelampyr View Post
    If we are talking fame, it's Marilyn Manson, without a doubt, followed by Trent Reznor.
    I didn't even really think about Manson... Though Reznor was someone I wondered if he was on that level of fame...
    #BeJelly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I didn't even really think about Manson... Though Reznor was someone I wondered if he was on that level of fame...
    From the release of Antichrist Superstar, to the release of HolyWood, he was the most talked about rocker of the generation, good bad or indifferent, everyone knows who he is.

Blog Entries
    From the release of Antichrist Superstar, to the release of HolyWood, he was the most talked about rocker of the generation, good bad or indifferent, everyone knows who he is.
    No, I agree... I for some reason just didn't even think about him. He knew how to get famous, that's for sure... haha
    #BeJelly

I don't know whose idea it was to pair up The Roots and Elvis Costello, but it was a flash of genius.

The whole album is as funky as it is smart.

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9
    The Last Of Us: Remastered (PS4)- 10
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)- 8.5

Anybody heard the new Stone Temple Pilots (w/ Chester Bennington)? I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around it. On one hand, it's not as awful as you'd think; on the other, there's just something about it that never quite clicks. No matter how hard the DeLeo Brothers might try, they can't pull off their sound without Scott. They just can't. If I were them, I probably would have continued putting up with his bullshit, if for no other reason than just doing it for the music.

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Now residing in an undisclosed location in Canada
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    Anybody heard the new Stone Temple Pilots (w/ Chester Bennington)? I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around it. On one hand, it's not as awful as you'd think; on the other, there's just something about it that never quite clicks. No matter how hard the DeLeo Brothers might try, they can't pull off their sound without Scott. They just can't. If I were them, I probably would have continued putting up with his bullshit, if for no other reason than just doing it for the music.

My guess is that's one of the reasons the Van Halen brothers reunited with Roth
    The Journey of 1000 Miles begins with a single step!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    I don't like it.
    I'm a fan of STP and Linkin Park, but his voice just doesn't work with the music. it feels odd.

Quote Originally Posted by THEKEVINBRAND View Post
    My guess is that's one of the reasons the Van Halen brothers reunited with Roth
    But Van Halen proved that they could still make semi-magic with another singer. The DeLeos? Not so much.

The problem, as I see it, is that STP don't build their sound around the new guy so much as they just forge ahead with business as usual, which invariably always leaves the new singer coming off like a pale imitation of Weiland. They basically set themselves up for failure. Repeatedly.

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

I don't like it.
    I'm a fan of STP and Linkin Park, but his voice just doesn't work with the music. it feels odd.
    Yep. I don't really fault Chester, though, as I think he gave it about as good of a shot as anyone could have. The band just doesn't seem willing and/or able to adjust, which sucks.

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9