Full statement from Dave Lombardo: I want to personally apologize to all of our fans in Australia who have bought tickets for the tour expecting to see me in my usual place on the drums.
So that you all know the truth, as of the end of the business day on February 14th, I was notified that I would not be drumming for the tour in Australia. I’m saddened, and to be honest I am shocked by the situation.
Last year, I discovered 90% of Slayer’s tour income was being deducted as expenses including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us. In my opinion, this is not the way a band’s business should operate. I tried rectifying it by letting my band mates know, and Tom and I hired auditors to figure out what happened, but I was denied access to detailed information and the necessary back up documents.
I spent the Christmas and New Year holidays realizing I had toured all over the world in 2012, but yet, had not been paid (except a small advance) or provided a proper accounting for a full year’s sweat and blood. On top of this, I was told that I would not be paid until I signed a long form contract which gave me no written assurance of how much or on what basis management would deduct commissions, nor did it provide me access to the financial budgets or records for review. It also forbade me to do interviews or make statements having to do with the band, in effect a gagging order.
Last Monday, I sat down with Kerry and Tom to rehearse for Australia and to propose a new business model that I felt was the best way forward for Slayer to confidently protect itself so we could do what we do best . . . play for the fans. Kerry made it clear he wasn’t interested in making changes and said if I wanted to argue the point, he would find another drummer. On Thursday, I arrived at rehearsals at 1 pm as scheduled, but Kerry did not show. Rather, at 6:24 pm I received an email from the lawyers saying I was being replaced for the Australian dates.
I remain hopeful that we can resolve our issues. But once again, I sincerely apologize to all of our fans in Australia who spent their money expecting to see the 3 of us original Slayer members.
I look forward to seeing you in the future. Sincerely,
I'm kind of looking to start with early 80's ska and go from there, probably backwards in time before I sully my tastes on the 90's stuff and onward. lol But I'll keep them in mind, thanks
The only thing I've properly got into was The Specials. They're Singles album, hard copy, I paid real money for, from an actual music shop. I realise they're sorta' like the big name in ska, so I guess I'm too mainstream.
Any fans of ska out there? I'm particularly interested in the third wave of ska and earlier. I have discovered I quite like it now. Any info or recommendations would be great thanks.
You already got recommendations from your resident ska-man on FB
However, if you find that you like some ska, then you might like some funk too. If you'd like to dive into that, I can recommend some stuff in that sector too
Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!