Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    About the same time they started paying for there own accommodation and travel cars.

The main eventers are good hitters
    The Jobbers are good sellers
    the mid carders are good.....

Quote Originally Posted by tigermask View Post
    Hi Everyone,

"If each decent midcarder who was vaugly decent were pushed to mainevent level, we would have no midcard. Some people should stay in the midcard, I feel Kofi is one of them, there is no shame in it, people like Rick Rude, Mr Perfect, Ricky Steamboat made a career of it and were legends".

Cheers
    Those 'Midcarders' you point out there are every single one of them better than most main eventers we have now. And quite a few of the people who think they are main event material now would have been nothing more than jobbers in the olden days.
    Wrestling lost the spectacle factor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabers View Post
    About the same time they started paying for there own accommodation and travel cars.
    Great point, I would also like to point out the inevitable upward spiral of expectation we have as humans in life. Old midcarders probably had to do this; but as life goes on we want more from life as the average workers lifestyle improves. Therefore what was acceptable in yesteryear is now a shameful state of living and professional treatment, making being a mainevent draw so much more important.
    “Humans disgust me. Vile creatures."
    ― William Regal

when the belts lost their prestige, and none of the mid carders got any decent angles and they all just have trash pointless matches every week

Right around the time that dum dums became capable of expressing themselves over the Internet.
    I'd rather have nothing than have a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    Right around the time that dum dums became capable of expressing themselves over the Internet.
    Bingo. Just because the drive by IWC decrees it, doesn't make it so.

Let me try and spin it this way: What mid-carder of the 2000s and above can be considered a legend? When you think of legendary mid-carders, names like Jim Duggan, JYD(ignoring Mid-South), George Steele, Jake Roberts, Jimmy Snuka, etc. come to mind. Why is it never someone more recent?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilsAdvocate View Post
    I think it has something to do with the difference between midcarders now and midcarders back then. The midcarders of yesteryear had way more opportunities and longer pushes. And the smaller championships like the cruiser-weight championship held way more meaning to small guys - Which is something guys like Trent Baretta, Tyson Kidd, Justin Gabriel, Sin Cara, and Evan Bourne could benefit from if they still had it around.

Alex Riley for example would have been a great midcarder. He had so much steam coming off of him after he split from Miz that he looked as if he was on the verge of surpassing John Cena in popularity. He then later got buried and I haven't seen him on TV since. So I could understand the frustration here.. The creative rarely want to continue a push.
    I think you nailed it. Midcarders then were looked upon more and definetly had more opportunities and had better storylines. Now WWE only has stroylines over a title be just due to the title. No background, no breaking into houses, etc. Its feuds over the mid card titles just for the titles. Titles had more meaning then, so with little meaning now we want our favorite midcarders to hold a title of greater meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Viperfish View Post
    Let me try and spin it this way: What mid-carder of the 2000s and above can be considered a legend? When you think of legendary mid-carders, names like Jim Duggan, JYD(ignoring Mid-South), George Steele, Jake Roberts, Jimmy Snuka, etc. come to mind. Why is it never someone more recent?
    Because they all had "it". Most all of the legendary mid-carders were main eventers before coming to the wwf. The great mid-carders died with the territories. More recent I would say Golddust and Christian.