Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

When did it become shameful to be a 'midcarder'

Hi Everyone,

Just an open question really...With so many IWC members always pushing for their collective favourites to be 'better utilised' and pushed into the main event, when did it become shameful to be a midcarder?

To quote my own observations in a Kofi Kingston thread:
    "If each decent midcarder who was vaugly decent were pushed to mainevent level, we would have no midcard. Some people should stay in the midcard, I feel Kofi is one of them, there is no shame in it, people like Rick Rude, Mr Perfect, Ricky Steamboat made a career of it and were legends".

the questions that keep coming to my mind when I think of the IWC and the Midcards relationship are;

• What do people feel about the push from the IWC for talent to be placed in the main event?
    • Do you agree there is a group consensus that the mid card is not a real draw anymore, and is therefore in some way a bit shameful?
    • If so Why?

Cheers
    “Humans disgust me. Vile creatures."
    ― William Regal

I'm guessing when WWE stopped having good midcard storylines everyone got into the attitude that; "If you aren't in the main event, you're basically screwed." For your point given is why I never saw the midcard as a bad thing. Not everyone can be the guy, nor everyone can be a jobber. Everyone has their role and should be able to play it well. There shouldn't be ashameful spell with being a midcarder.

I think everyone wants there fave guys in the main event scene.

Ricky Steamboat wasn't a midcarder, He won the World Championship in WCW.. if we're talking just WWF/WWE then apologies

It just seems like they have two main guys in midcard, the champion and a random challenger.....we have no more number 1 contender matches to build suspense, we have no storyline, no mic time....it sucks! Right now, the mid-card feels like antonio cesaro, r-truth, wade barett, and kofi kingston
    http://i.imgur.com/5pZdU5D.gif

Blog Entries
    Being a midcarder has become a negative because the top expanded. There are more people in the main event, so people who can't make a step up are 'less'.

I personally think it's just a definition thing. The definitions are passed on from the eighties, whilst the (wrestling) world has changed, the definitions stayed more or less the same. Is Kane a constant main eventer or a guy that transits from main event to midcard and back? Is Big Show's belt a main event title or a replacement for the IC-title during the nineties? It's all debatable and more a question of definition than anything else.
    Chris Jericho: 'Without a storyline, wrestling is just two guys in their underwear rolling around half naked.'

Right around the time that dum dums became capable of expressing themselves over the Internet.
    I'd rather have nothing than have a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    Right around the time that dum dums became capable of expressing themselves over the Internet.
    Bingo. Just because the drive by IWC decrees it, doesn't make it so.

When did it become shameful to be a 'midcarder'?

When you keep winning and losing the IC/US Title.

I get that Big E Langston dropped the NXT CHAMPIONSHIP
    but....to Bo Dallas out of all people? WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar83 View Post
    When did it become shameful to be a 'midcarder'?

When you keep winning and losing the IC/US Title.
    *points to Jericho's 9 reigns as IC champ* So, he should be ashamed?