Page 1 of 12 123 11 ... LastLast

Ridiculous Football (Soccer) Stories

After reading a few crazy stories (Including the Tevez one) I thought I'd post them here. Feel free to post some yourself

The BBC wins for best opening sentence of the day:

Bath City had five players sent off as an FA Youth Cup tie descended into farce following a row over underpants.

Bath manager Billy Clarke was also sent off for dissent after the first of his players was shown a red for the underwear violation 20 minutes into their eventual 6-0 loss to Newport County in the FA Youth Cup qualifying match. The BBC explains:

Underwear must be the same colour as the shorts but Bath's white pants were visible below their black shorts.

"It was all very surreal. I was angry with the officials," said Bath managing director Paul Williams.

"Rules are rules but the officiating wasn't what it should have been for a youth cup tie.

"Why didn't the officials check the colours before the start?

Bayern Munich's Arjen Robben and his spandex leggings have fallen afoul of this rule in recent years, so it's not unheard of. Plus, our friends at Eurosport point out that the FA has a rule that states, "if thermal undershorts are worn, they are of the same main colour as the shorts." Still, Bath City have reason to be upset -- whether it be with themselves or the iron-fisted official -- because Newport's first goal in what I'm going to call The Underpants Thrashing was scored while two of Bath's players were changing.

Failing to qualify for the FA Youth Cup made it a costly lesson, but Bath City will certainly be sure to better co-ordinate their shorts with their underwear from now on.

Kettering 3 - 5 Hayes & Yeading
    Kettering strikers Moses Ashikodi and Jean-Paul Marna were sent-off for fighting each other as Hayes & Yeading won an eight-goal thriller.

Marna had made it 5-3 in stoppage time when the duo came to blows.

Hayes raced into a 3-0 lead through Tom Collins' drilled shot, a Louie Soares penalty and Pierre Joseph Dubois' header.

Ashikodi and Adam Cunnington replied for Kettering but Hector Mackie and a second from Soares kept Hayes ahead.

The game desceded into farce in the closing minutes. First, Ashikodi saw his penalty saved by Delroy Preddie.

Then Marna grabbed a consolation goal before the two forwards were red carded for scrapping to complete a miserable evening for struggling Kettering.

how the hell did you find these

Blog Entries
    Oh hell yeah! I'm loaded with stupid knowledge.

Man City hold the best FA Cup comeback in history. In 2004 they came back from 3-0 down against spurs to win 4-3 in the last minute. Not the best comeback. Until you realise Man City were down to 10 men at the end of half time.

Man City have "TypicalCitySyndrome" this illness causes them to do amazing things that they shouldn't be able to do, and also fuck up stupidly bad.
    Examples:
    Man City won their first english 1st division cup in the 30's. Which is great right? Well the very next season they got relagated. Even though they scored the most goals in every league in england.
    Once in the FA Cup. Man City got a team (no clue who now, sorry) who were weaker than them. Man City were winning 6-0 after 85 minutes. But because of bad weather, it was abandoned. In the replay, they lost 3-1.
    Man City were the only team to beat Jose Mourinhos Chelsea in the league. Problem is, they lost both games against the 3 relagated sides that year.

Non-city stats:
    Newcastle hold the best comebacks in the champions league, the only team to come back and qualify for the enxt round after losing the first 3 games, and the best game comeback vs. Arsenal, 4-0 down (3-0 down after 20 mins) and came back to 4-4
    Preston North End were the first sports team ever to have an undefeated season.
    Cambridge United or Sheffield FC is the oldest team in football (although its debated which 1 is older)
    If you excluding tied records or teams they've only played once and drawn (example, algeria)
    England have only 4 teams that have a better head to head than them.
    These are:
    Uruguary
    Brazil
    Italy (But we have better GD, how that works out I dunno but its true)
    and someone else (sorry :S)
    Frances last 4 world cups.
    1998 - Won it
    2002 - In the same group against Uruguay, finished 0-0 and lost to Senegal of Africa, didn't score 1 goal.
    2006 - Finalists
    2010 - In the same group against Uruguay, finished 0-0 and lost to South Africa of...Africa.
    Gelforth Town, who played in tier 8 (and possibly still do) believe they would win the 2018 premier league title. Thats nearly getting promoted every year.
    Blackpool are nicknamed the seasiders. But Bridlington Town are also nicknamed the seasiders. The older club? Bridlington. They should get the lawyers!

non-serious:
    Although the chinese dominate in the sport of diving. Christiano Ronaldo is favourite to win gold at the 2012 Olympics. Tom Daily is now 2nd best hope the UK has behind Theo Walcott.
    Wayne Rooney = White pele? Well with that logic. Torres = White Heskey.

Don't know where to put it.
    Keep skipping by the minute.

''Ricardo Rodriguez is the best character on WWE TV.''

Quote Originally Posted by pauadrian View Post
    how the hell did you find these
    They were on the BBC website and MSN after you sign out of Hotmail.

Quote Originally Posted by VanHooliganX View Post
    Oh hell yeah! I'm loaded with stupid knowledge.

Man City hold the best FA Cup comeback in history. In 2004 they came back from 3-0 down against spurs to win 4-3 in the last minute. Not the best comeback. Until you realise Man City were down to 10 men at the end of half time.

Man City have "TypicalCitySyndrome" this illness causes them to do amazing things that they shouldn't be able to do, and also fuck up stupidly bad.
    Examples:
    Man City won their first english 1st division cup in the 30's. Which is great right? Well the very next season they got relagated. Even though they scored the most goals in every league in england.
    Once in the FA Cup. Man City got a team (no clue who now, sorry) who were weaker than them. Man City were winning 6-0 after 85 minutes. But because of bad weather, it was abandoned. In the replay, they lost 3-1.
    Man City were the only team to beat Jose Mourinhos Chelsea in the league. Problem is, they lost both games against the 3 relagated sides that year.

Non-city stats:
    Newcastle hold the best comebacks in the champions league, the only team to come back and qualify for the enxt round after losing the first 3 games, and the best game comeback vs. Arsenal, 4-0 down (3-0 down after 20 mins) and came back to 4-4
    Preston North End were the first sports team ever to have an undefeated season.
    Cambridge United or Sheffield FC is the oldest team in football (although its debated which 1 is older)
    If you excluding tied records or teams they've only played once and drawn (example, algeria)
    England have only 4 teams that have a better head to head than them.
    These are:
    Uruguary
    Brazil
    Italy (But we have better GD, how that works out I dunno but its true)
    and someone else (sorry :S)
    Frances last 4 world cups.
    1998 - Won it
    2002 - In the same group against Uruguay, finished 0-0 and lost to Senegal of Africa, didn't score 1 goal.
    2006 - Finalists
    2010 - In the same group against Uruguay, finished 0-0 and lost to South Africa of...Africa.
    Gelforth Town, who played in tier 8 (and possibly still do) believe they would win the 2018 premier league title. Thats nearly getting promoted every year.
    Blackpool are nicknamed the seasiders. But Bridlington Town are also nicknamed the seasiders. The older club? Bridlington. They should get the lawyers!

non-serious:
    Although the chinese dominate in the sport of diving. Christiano Ronaldo is favourite to win gold at the 2012 Olympics. Tom Daily is now 2nd best hope the UK has behind Theo Walcott.
    Wayne Rooney = White pele? Well with that logic. Torres = White Heskey.
    Haha some good ones in there. I like the City ones. I remember watching that cup game against Spurs, great game. Oh and I'm pretty sure Boro beat Mourinho's Chelsea 3-0 and surely Man Utd beat them! Nice stuff though

Quote Originally Posted by Automatic View Post
    Don't know where to put it.
    Keep skipping by the minute.
    Haha that is genius! I didn't notice the first time I was wondering what was going on haha.

It was 1991 and the derby between Uruguay's two biggest teams was taking place: Penarol-Nacional. The incident involved Panamean international Dely Valdez (now in PSG, France) and Penarol defender Goncalves. Valdez was Nacional's striker and he was known for wearing gold chains and other jewelry on the pitch. Both players were struggling as a corner kick was about to take place for Nacional, Goncalves ripped off one of Valdez's gold-chains and hid it in his sock. Nobody in the stadium saw it but the TV cameras caught the moment, and after the game Valdez and the police were waiting for Goncalvez outside the dressing rooms. Goncalvez was arrested but the charges were later dropped as he had returned the chain.
    Why did he do it? Goncalvez reply is clear and simple:
    "I don't know what I was thinking"

This derby became known simply as the "golden-chain derby"