2013 - A Breakthrough Year For Women's MMA?

With the announcement of UFC folding Strikeforce and bringing their women's division into UFC, 2013 is going to be an interesting year for MMA, and for women's MMA in particular. I saw one sarcastic comment about women in the UFC about "Oh, good - now I know when I can take my toilet break."

I beg to differ. I have found women's MMA to be really exciting, intense and creative in the last couple of years. My favorite Strikeforce event was an all-women tournament show. Invicta FC's all-women MMA show a month or so ago was flat-out excellent. One fighter out of 14 matches came in out-of-shape and not ready to give a great performance. When was the last time you could say the same about an all-male MMA show?

Invicta FC's next show will be sometime in January - I strongly encourage anybody that wants to see GREAT MMA action to check out that show - their events are in Kansas City, but they stream their shows life for free on their website.

They'll be putting on a number of shows this next year. It will be interesting to see how committed UFC will be to showcasing their new women's division. This could be a breakthrough year for women's MMA if the fighters perform like they have been in their best matches over the last couple of years.