Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Arrow All Things Linda

So, there's this story on the news page;

Linda McMahon, former president and CEO of WWE, failed in her bid for a Senate seat in Connecticut, losing to Democratic Rep. Chris Murphy on Tuesday. This follows her 2010 loss to Richard Blumenthal in the race for the state's other seat in the Senate.

The total cost of losing two elections has ranged from $90 to $97 million, according to estimates. McMahon spent $50 million of her personal fortune in her failed 2010 campaign, and is believed to have spent $40 to $47 million the second time around. Between both campaigns, McMahon has now spent a cumulative total of over $90 million in pursuit of federal office. That is more than any other American in history.

WWE Hall of Famer "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, who worked under the employ of McMahon, criticized her exorbitant spending on two failed Senate campaigns in a series of Twitter messages Wednesday. After asking his followers whether McMahon won her race, he wrote, "Can spend 90 million on a losing election but won't give the people that earned that money for them medical or retirement help of any kind!"

Piper then re-tweeted a message comparing her failed Senate campaigns to another McMahon family outside-the-ring venture that went bust; the World Bodybuilding Federation: "It's like the WBF all over again; money spent on alternate endeavors earned from the blood & sweat of the boys."

Continuing to stick up for "the boys," while also corroborating a rumor that mid-level WWE talent had to cover their hotel and travel expenses during WrestleMania XXVIII week in Miami, Florida despite the sports-entertainment organization generating a record-breaking $102.7 million in economic impact for Miami-Dade County, he also re-tweeted, "They can spend 90 mill on elections but still make midcarders pay their and their family own way for wrestlemania. crazy."

Many midcarders feel the exact same way and are happy to see someone like Piper speaking up. As we've been reporting, the midcarders know they need a "leader" of sorts to speak out and defend them. If they do it themselves, they know exactly what will happen - job loss or jobbed out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think Piper has a real point here? Is it too late for the McMahons to start to funnel money into the kinds of "endeavors" (see that?) that Piper mentioned?

Tell me what you think and anything else related to the Linda McMahon campaign (including it's relation to PG) please post here.

Third time is the charm.

''Ricardo Rodriguez is the best character on WWE TV.''

Blog Entries
    Didn't she say she won't run again or is that just next time? But she does qualify as a politician now I suppose, so we can expect 4/5ths of what she says to be lies

Blog Entries
    Even if they did have that $90 million still lying around, I doubt the resident ham n' eggers would be able to upgrade to steak dinners anytime soon. It's no secret that WWE doesn't really invest in their tertiary talent unless they're responsible for it or if they don't hit any dry spells with crowd reaction. Besides, take into the account that more than half of that money came from Linda's own pockets. She's no indebted to give the midcarders a damn thing since she doesn't really work with the WWE anymore. That basically means that the midcarders would be given even less of an opportunity to make a decent living. So in short, the overall mentality of the company is what dictates their current condition and will continue to govern that despite Linda and her political endeavors.

+ she is a 'wrestling promoter'.
    Not really her husband is, but she portrayed herself as that.
    That makes it like, what? 8/5ths of what she says can not be believed?

''Ricardo Rodriguez is the best character on WWE TV.''

Does Piper have a point about the treatment of the mid-card talent? Of course! The solution - as Mick Foley and Jesse Ventura have said many times - is for wrestlers to unionize and have the ability to do some collective negotiation. Given the "independent" views of many wrestlers, though, that's not likely to happen.

Perhaps the negative publicity will force the WWE to take better care of the mid-card talent, as it forced their hand with the Wellness Policy, the anti-concussion initiatives, etc, but other than that the complaining by un-named talent is most likely going to continue.

I was worried it would turn into a Vicky like thread with pictures, I really considered not opening this thread.

But now I have I can but wonder how she could NOT run a third time having thrown $90m after something she's beyond throwing good money after bad. I cant see talent being unionised as such but I could in time see agents stepping, taking a cut and fighting for better conditions or top talent and then maybe taking on lower talent hoping they become big earners for them in the future. Nash can boast all he likes about his ability to make money, but doing that for someone would actually make me believe it was down to him rather than idiots throwing their money around to steal talent from other organisations

As to the relation to PG I still think it's the Advertisers that do that, it could be related to Linda because they need a spare $50m or so every now and then so it's important to get good advertising.

Blog Entries
    I don't care what anyone says - if wrestling was unionized, WWE would slowly but surely lose it's grip (power) on the industry. Vince has really been lucky that unionization would be a fucking total mess to organise.

Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    I don't care what anyone says
    Was that a quote from Vince?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynicism View Post
    Was that a quote from Vince?
    Ha! In true political fashion, you've misquoted me!! lol