Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gimmick teams in this era

I'm pretty impressed with Rhodes scholar and 3mb and it got me thinking about the great tag teams of the 80s and 90s. Could a gimmick team like a road warriors or demolition work in this era. If nothing else the fans especially the younger ones loved guys like the bushwackers and the headbangers so maybe if the E keeps targeting the youth it might work.

Thoughts?
    "The champ is here" - John Cena

Blog Entries
    In the post kayfabe era, it's hard to push such gimmicks. Personally, I'd love to see some of the old ones revived like the Moondogs (what was their story?) and The Conquistadors.

I've said it before....Alex Riley and Jack Swagger. Letterman jackets, blonde valet with pom poms in a cheerleading outfit (a modern day Varsity club). Give them a fraternity type tag team name like Alpha Beta's or something. They got that old 80's Revenge of the Nerds look to them as A Ry is a great cocky heel mouthpiece like Stan Gable from Revenge of the Nerds and Swagger is a beast like Ogre. It work and work big. They'd have great promos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Playboy Stevie V View Post
    I've said it before....Alex Riley and Jack Swagger. Letterman jackets, blonde valet with pom poms in a cheerleading outfit (a modern day Varsity club). Give them a fraternity type tag team name like Alpha Beta's or something. They got that old 80's Revenge of the Nerds look to them as A Ry is a great cocky heel mouthpiece like Stan Gable from Revenge of the Nerds and Swagger is a beast like Ogre. It work and work big. They'd have great promos.
    I'd like to see this. A lot better than what they're doing at the moment (though that's not much of an achievement)
    Chris Jericho: 'Without a storyline, wrestling is just two guys in their underwear rolling around half naked.'

I'd love to see some gimmick teams out there. Sadly I even enjoyed the highlanders when they first started which I might have been their only fan since that team was buried at lightening speed. IMO the gimmick teams really bring the crowd into the match and get them engaged again. If trips wants to revive the tag division he could do a lot worse than making fun gimmick teams.

Blog Entries
    If they're going to have guys like Santino, Clay and Ryder who really, are comedy and colour guys, why not extend that to teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    If they're going to have guys like Santino, Clay and Ryder who really, are comedy and colour guys, why not extend that to teams?
    Agreed although in this days and age with people so afraid of germs things like the bushwackers licking kids heads might not be the best move .

Damn I miss those type of teams.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Playboy Stevie V View Post
    Not sure how many times I've seen this suggestion, I've also suggested it myself a few times too!It's a great idea isn't it?! It would definitely work, and Riley and Swagger would make a great team. They're both good in the ring, Riley's got the mic work covered, Summer Raye from NXT would fit the blonde cheerleader role, it's a recipe for a great team!
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    Not sure how many times I've seen this suggestion, I've also suggested it myself a few times too!It's a great idea isn't it?! It would definitely work, and Riley and Swagger would make a great team. They're both good in the ring, Riley's got the mic work covered, Summer Raye from NXT would fit the blonde cheerleader role, it's a recipe for a great team!
    Feels a little too much like the deuce and domino 50s greaser team but hell I enjoyed that gimmick and wanted more so bring it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    I know I need to get some new material. I couldn't help myself with the topic of this forum. I'm gonna keep pushing it..LOL