Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 88
  1. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kaymakcian View Post
    I think to a certain extent you have to care about the ratings though. Because if the ratings aren't there you're not gonna make the money from advertisers and the networks will cancel your show. I think the problem is that both WWE and TNA aren't doing enough to make the fans interested in their product especially on TV.
    The thing is, the only people who should care about ratings are the people in WWE involved with the overall concern for the publically traded company. Fans should not base their thoughts or opinions about a product off of these numbers. How many arguments are made for or against both WWE and TNA based on these numbers as to which is the “better” company or just how “well” a promotion is doing? These numbers should not be used as a basis for what YOU enjoy personally. They are samples used to derive a specific amount of revenue that a company is willing to invest into said show. If the market expands outside of the US (much like TNA with their global reach) then the company can use this as leverage in acquiring sponsors for a show without basing the amount of money gained by said sponsor from a number as simple as the United States ratings of a television program.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kaymakcian View Post
    We no longer see title changes on live television anymore and we never see enough matches that make people want to tune in anymore as well. I think the reason that wrestling is on a decline is because both of the top two companies have made complete fools out of the wrestling business and created a product that is so ridiculous that there are no more casual fans who will watch.
    I am sorry that the booking of title exchanges and matches don’t fit the ideals of what you believe that they should be, but the top two companies aren’t to blame for making the wrestling business what it is. It’s the fact that the wrestling industry has indeed, turned into the wrestling business. When you are more focused on the revenue generation than you are about the desires wrestlers had going into the industry, then you find that the “art(or product)” will suffer in the long run. This is why I have pushed the idea that scripting wrestlers to a point of telling them how many chops in the corner they should use restricts the creative freedom needed to carry on excellent matches. I can say that Brett Hart called a 5 star match in the ring; I can’t say anyone currently in the WWE has done the same (sorry Punk fans).


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kaymakcian View Post
    You used to be able to watch wrestling and not be embarassed, I'm not, but a lot of my friends talk about how bad wrestling is because of the ridiculousness of some of the characters and storylines. It wasn't like that when the ratings where at there peak. I think it's going to take the WWE to fall in order to fix the wrestling business because at this point in time they have done a lot of damage to the image of the wrestling business with storylines like Katie Vick and characters like Santino Marella and Brodus Clay.
    And just so you know, it was like that when the ratings were at their peak. Val Venis had his member cut off by Kai-en-tai. They also brought in John Wayne Bobbitt to further the angle. Rikishi ran over Austin due to racism that kept him and his fellow Samoan, The Rock, down in the business for so long. GTV was showing many “superstars” in embarrassing moments, yet went away as quick as it came about. Mae Young and Mark Henry... These were all “ridiculous” and happened when ratings were indeed at their “peak” as you say. If they can make it past an 75 year old giving birth to a hand, Big Boss Man dragging the coffin of the Big Shows father across a cemetery, and the Katie Vick incident (which they were able to get passed since it occurred 10 years ago) then promoting talent that sells merchandise and provide entertainment to casual fans is something that I am not going to hate on the E Universe for. After all, they have to keep revenue coming in to keep stock holders happy.


    Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

    Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

  2. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling Realist View Post
    Aces & eights is nothing like the NWO, but somebody in creative must have watched too much Sons Of Anarchy

    OP: Since 2002 when both Roh and TNA was founded, wwe has fallen a lot raw's ratings were averaging a 4.1 the highest they got that year was a 5.4. Now 10 years later wwe is getting a 2.5-2.8, a 3.0 if they are lucky if they were a sitcom or another TV show they would have been cancelled. So they are declining as company where as TNA has grown in to a global company, TNA is also beating the wwe in the UK and Australia and other markets and Roh has slowly grown into ECW's old place in the wrestling business. If WWE closed it doors TNA would take the WWE's spot and ROH would take TNA's current spot.
    I have lived in 2 countries where SPORTS BROADCASTERS have dropped WWE for TNA.....

  3. #73
    wwe won't get shut down,it boradcasts in over 100 countries.If Americans don't watch Raw,who cares,they've got countries in Europe,Asia,Africa,South America,Oceania that show WWE with great success.If Americans would rather watch NFL which takes 126 hours for 1 game,who gives a crap??? Worst case scenario,WWE moves to the United Kingdom.Which given the timezone difference would be more bennefitting from airing RAW live in more countries @ a primetime or day-time hour.

  4. #74
    Black Ninja! Tommy Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    25,796
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    It means that you just can't get enough of the "Derpside"
    -_-

    .....Who?
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!


  5. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    -_-

    .....Who?
    Can you not see the Sig that Robstar bestowed upon myself?

    I'm pretty sure there is a failure to communicate here, Tommy.


    Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

    Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

  6. #76
    Black Ninja! Tommy Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    25,796
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin View Post
    Can you not see the Sig that Robstar bestowed upon myself?

    I'm pretty sure there is a failure to communicate here, Tommy.
    Enough with the jokes please man, not really in the mood.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!


  7. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    Enough with the jokes please man, not really in the mood.
    Sorry bubba, just trying to have a little fun. I hope the day gets better for you and that things steadily improve as the day progresses my man.


    Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

    Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

  8. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    *ahem* Forgetting someone Magglis?

    Alright, I'm issuing a temporary gag order - Wade and K-Mac are to refrain from replying to each others posts for at least 3 days.

    Oh and Maggs - I'm putting that in your sig instead, I don't like the fact you are using that quote. It's inflammatory.
    No prob i would have remove it if you asked me.I didn't want to start something

    You are old but not the best

    #HeelMagglis




    What Arsenal fans think about RVP moving to UTD:
    Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    There is a difference between playing shit and being shit. You said I think RVP is shit, where I'm saying he'll play shit... His ability will still be there but it just won't have a bug effect on UTD.
    Oh akbar....

  9. #79
    Black Ninja! bearkg88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9,643
    Blog Entries
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kaymakcian View Post
    If the WWE falls and collapses is this the end of professional wrestling on national TV? Now I'm not saying that the WWE will fall, but the ratings are dropping, new stars who transcend the ring are becoming rarer and rarer now in the WWE, and the live audience is even starting to tune out looking back at the Hell in a Cell crowd and the Raw crowd from last night. Gonna have to wait for next week's Raw to see if that trend changes, don't trust pretaped shows because of editing. This isn't a thread saying that the WWE will fall, this is a thread about asking if wrestling will die if the WWE dies.
    The WWE isn't going to fall. Yes I get this is a hyptothetical scenario, but this thread reminds me of what it would seem like if Cena revealed her were gay and the OP was like "So if Cena said he was gay, would it change his stance in the company". NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN! Gosh...stupid stupud stpudi!
     

  10. #80
    Moderator Robstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calling It
    Posts
    24,367
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by bearkg88 View Post
    The WWE isn't going to fall. Yes I get this is a hyptothetical scenario, but this thread reminds me of what it would seem like if Cena revealed her were gay and the OP was like "So if Cena said he was gay, would it change his stance in the company". NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN! Gosh...stupid stupud stpudi!
    Still, I disagree. You might look at WWE as being almighty and invincible but what you're dealing with is possibly the most insular industry in the world, run strictly as a private enterprise. Huge companies collapse all the time. I'm sure there was a time when people couldn't conceive of the collapse of WCW or Enron - but because we all have 20/20 hindsight, we all know why it happened and where it went wrong - it's easy to pick the bones of history's carcass. What's harder to do is anticipate the future.

    When the day comes that Vince carks it, we could see a massive internal power struggle that splinters the company. Sooner than that, we may see public opinion turn further against the nature of professional wrestling, networks turning away from the sport because of the pressure applied by those who fund them - a politically driven backlash even. You have no idea what's in store and let's not pretend we do, otherwise we wouldn't have half the people that do believing in the Mayan doomsday clock.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.