Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Is CM Punk a copycat?

Random thought but I have been really looking into CM Punk and I noticed even though CM Punk has a unique look, and is a great wrestler he really isn't his own person. CM Punk not only stole () the GTS from KENTA and a few other moves. He balantally ripped off Daniel Bryan's gimmick of being the Best in the World back in his Ring of Honor days. My question to you guys is do you consider CM Punk almost a copycat wrestler?

To me in a way I do consider him somewhat of a copycat as he is basically a combination of other wrestlers gimmicks and personality such as KENTA's move-set, Daniel Bryan's old gimmick?

But what do you guys think.

I don't think its that simple. A lot of people have gone around saying their teh best in the world and they deserve everyones respect no matter what they do, to be honest if you look deeply enough into this situation you could probably make an argument that everyone has ripped off everyone else at a certain level.

As far as the GTS, he may have ripped it from Kenta but to be honest if he dropped it for another finisher I don't think anyone would be unhappy
    When the Devil is to busy
    And Death's a bit to much
    They call on me by name you see, for my special touch

To the gentleman I'm Ms. Forture
    To the ladies I'm Sir Prize
    But call me by any name, any way it's all the same

Blog Entries
    Ummm just about every wrestler today is a copycat of another wrestler from back in the days. If wrestlers today didn't use moves from past wrestlers then no one would wrestle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealOutlaw View Post
    Ummm just about every wrestler today is a copycat of another wrestler from back in the days. If wrestlers today didn't use moves from past wrestlers then no one would wrestle.
    ding ding ding. you are totally correct. randy orton is not ddp, edge was not goldberg... there are only so many finishers, you will have to repeat at some point. cm punk is one of the most original wrestlers today, and if he took ideas from other wrestlers to become a great wrestler good on him IMO. no one hates on writers who mimicked Shakespeare (of course unless done badly)
    Disciple of Asher Presents - DEATH BUNNY

Quote Originally Posted by NiallF96 View Post
    #temamodest are the nicest people aboit. get outa here team ego! its not that my spelling gets shit when ikm drunk, just that i canr be bothered correctin the many mistakes i make while typing !

i think all wrestlers have some influence from past wrestlers, well even current wrestlers use others moveset (remember the orton-angle stuff?) so i think its something perfectly normal

Blog Entries
    I love the term "Stole" when applied to finishers, it always makes me laugh.
    Guess how many versions of the Diamon Cutter are out there? Hell Bubba Ray Dudley used to use it as his finisher (Bubba cutter, that's just as high as he can jump) How about the Shooting Star Press, or the Senton, or the Frogsplash. or the Clothesline, or Chokeslam (What I love about this is that everyone got the point after the first example, but I just had to keep going)

Also does "I am the best in the world at what I do" ring a bell? How about "I am the best wrestler to ever step foot in this ring"? Give you a hint, both of those phrases were used back when wrestling was still bradcast in black and white. Calling yourself the best isn't even original enough to be a gimmick, it's just what almost 1/2 of the wrestlers in the world do at one point or another.

Opportunity is often missed because it shows up in overalls, looking like work.

Quote Originally Posted by Asherdelampyr View Post
    I love the term "Stole"
    Should have used the term utilized then

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AWrestlingGod View Post
    Should have used the term utilized then
    that may have worked better, though really any way you look at it, the argument remains the same.
    There has not been a truly original move in wrestling for like 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Asherdelampyr View Post
    that may have worked better, though really any way you look at it, the argument remains the same.
    There has not been a truly original move in wrestling for like 20 years.
    There have been a few in the last 10 years but mostly on the indy scene with guys like Kevin Steen doing the Package Piledriver, The Canadian destroyer innovated by Scott D-more, and other high flying moves by the likes of PAC and Ricochet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AWrestlingGod View Post
    There have been a few in the last 10 years but mostly on the indy scene with guys like Kevin Steen doing the Package Piledriver, The Canadian destroyer innovated by Scott D-more, and other high flying moves by the likes of PAC and Ricochet.
    I will give you the Canadian Destroyer, but for the rest, watch some more Lucha stuff