Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Shockability" factor in wrestling

I wanted to talk a little bit about the shock factor in professional wrestling today and yes "shockability" is a word Anyways I was just wondering... what happened? Remember when the Radicalz 1st showed up? Remember when DX went to pay a visit to WCW? As a fan I didnt know what the heck was going to happen next. Or the time Jericho made his debut and got that HUGE pop. Even then I don't think the fans entirely understood who was coming and you could tell by their reaction when his name popped up on the titantron. I know it may seem like I'm tryna dwell on things in the past and the attitude era but I'm not. I'm just wondering what happened??? I guess what I'm tryin to say is... Did internet sites like this one, touting, and other sources of web media ruin the shock factor in wrestling? Don't get me wrong I really like this site and I tend to ignore the spoilers BUT even the WWE website was guilty of this not too long ago. They had already posted the winner of the Miz/Kofi int title match before I got a chance to watch it! That can't be good for business right? Anyways let me know what you think. Do you think it's web media, Do you not care, is it even possible to "shock" fans anymore? Lemme know whatcha think, all comments are welcome and thanks for taking time to read *out*

i think it still can be done, remember punk leaving with the championship. nobody saw that coming.
    but that was a vince storyline i think. wwe creative team just suck and they post too many spoilers. even you dont have to read them to see most things coming ...

I don't think it's completely gone but sites like this don't help obviously but I love all the spoilers and stuff.

Kane's return with the mask, Jericho coming back and the Nexus were all things that were shocking in recent history, even The Rock as guest host of WM. Obviously it's not like 10 years ago when I didn't even know who Lesner was and then he debuts and detroys everyone but they still have their moments.

Gets harder and harder to do.

Especially to people who go to wrestling forums/dirt sheets.
    Kaige Chamberlain
    Ballad of an Asshole

Former RTE Tag-Team Champion(w/ Xavier Hightower[1])
    Current EWNCW Tag-Team Champion (Solo; 3/30/14) [1]
    'Father' Black Angel:
    Preacher of the Voices

Winner of BotN[Seraphim]

I'm trying to be number one, why would I settle?
    @IWACreative_Parody Tweeter

Look man, that's all up to you. If you choose to be on this sites, you can't blame WWE for a lack of shock effect.
    You are also naming events from when you probably were a child, thus not being in the internet, thus being completely out of the loop of what was reported back then by the dirt-sheets.
    You're just a child from your era remembering the good times.

''Ricardo Rodriguez is the best character on WWE TV.''

The internet killed it that's what happened to the shock factor. But there still is plenty of surprises these days but just not like back in the day before the days of the internet.

It was always awesome when i was growing up, i remember real hardcore WWE action, miss that..
    It is missed at vital points when it would be most prominent

IWA Revolution Creative Team

IWA/WWE

IWA Vanities Champion: Juno Mercury!

2013: Women's Wrestler of the Year,Juno Mercury (IWA)
    2013: Vanity of the Year,Juno Mercury (IWA)
    #RaptureBitch

That felling of shock comes from nostalgia. WCW and ECW helped with people jumping ship too! I loved seeing who could debut next, who would jump ship next etc. The internet doesn't help though, and neither do forums. When something happens (a promo vid for example), logging on a forum with 100s of people all giving the theories ruins it i think. Eventually, someone is going to give an idea that pretty much ends up being close to the final reveal. I think if nobody went on forums or news sites during the last two jericho returns, you'd be a lot more surprised. I stop looking at results to shows until i've watched them and I think it's made me enjoy them a little more, so the same could be said for most wrestling news.

G
    GMU - UTID!

2012 - 2nd!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJosephBanks View Post
    Gets harder and harder to do.

Especially to people who go to wrestling forums/dirt sheets.
    Agreed, smarks have ruined some of the fun of being a wrestling fan.

I say ewrestling takes a stand and bans all spoilers from its site. Ryan Clark and his kid need to leave and let's us, the fans, discover what's happening as it unfolds not tell us 3 weeks ahead of time.
    "The champ is here" - John Cena

Quote Originally Posted by grave View Post
    i think it still can be done, remember punk leaving with the championship. nobody saw that coming.
    but that was a vince storyline i think. wwe creative team just suck and they post too many spoilers. even you dont have to read them to see most things coming ...
    Yeah the Punk thing was AWESOME from the open mic promo to him "leaving" was sheer awesomeness. I agree with your last sentence as well. A sad statement... But true none the less