Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

"Shockability" factor in wrestling

I wanted to talk a little bit about the shock factor in professional wrestling today and yes "shockability" is a word Anyways I was just wondering... what happened? Remember when the Radicalz 1st showed up? Remember when DX went to pay a visit to WCW? As a fan I didnt know what the heck was going to happen next. Or the time Jericho made his debut and got that HUGE pop. Even then I don't think the fans entirely understood who was coming and you could tell by their reaction when his name popped up on the titantron. I know it may seem like I'm tryna dwell on things in the past and the attitude era but I'm not. I'm just wondering what happened??? I guess what I'm tryin to say is... Did internet sites like this one, touting, and other sources of web media ruin the shock factor in wrestling? Don't get me wrong I really like this site and I tend to ignore the spoilers BUT even the WWE website was guilty of this not too long ago. They had already posted the winner of the Miz/Kofi int title match before I got a chance to watch it! That can't be good for business right? Anyways let me know what you think. Do you think it's web media, Do you not care, is it even possible to "shock" fans anymore? Lemme know whatcha think, all comments are welcome and thanks for taking time to read *out*

i think it still can be done, remember punk leaving with the championship. nobody saw that coming.
    but that was a vince storyline i think. wwe creative team just suck and they post too many spoilers. even you dont have to read them to see most things coming ...

Quote Originally Posted by grave View Post
    i think it still can be done, remember punk leaving with the championship. nobody saw that coming.
    but that was a vince storyline i think. wwe creative team just suck and they post too many spoilers. even you dont have to read them to see most things coming ...
    Yeah the Punk thing was AWESOME from the open mic promo to him "leaving" was sheer awesomeness. I agree with your last sentence as well. A sad statement... But true none the less

If you don't read wrestling on internet sites then a lot of shocking things would of happened this year E.G Brock debuting and Chris Jericho returning. (Lucky i did not go on wrestling sites for the whole of WM week and Brock returning was a big surprize)

Blog Entries
    I don't remember who said this exactly, but the quote was something along the lines of "it's not that people don't get shocked anymore, it's that wwe is really bad at keeping things a secret." I completely agree with the quote because I feel like things get spoiled and then we all get upset. OR wwe does a horrible job and keeping their foreshadowed events vague to the point where you can still guess and say to yourself "Damn how did I not see that coming."

The internet killed it. I think this point is fairly obvious.

The no-compete clause on contracts killed it. Does anybody care about AW anymore? That's what the no-compete is designed to do. AW said he wanted to come out on shoot interviews and talk about WWE but couldn't because of contract stipulations. Once it's up, nobody would care about AW anymore. What happened in WCW with Lex Luger and the Outsiders jumping ship and immediately going to TV will never happen again.

The lack of competition killed it. We're over 10 years removed from the days of real competition in the industry... it's to the point that nobody would've cared if Matt Morgan(sorry TNA but it's fact) showed up in WWE again rather than making a surprise appearance at a TNA house show, but you had mid-carders showing up in WWE from WCW back in the day and people made a big deal out of it.

If aj styles r joe kame they would

Quote Originally Posted by Viperfish View Post
    The internet killed it. I think this point is fairly obvious.

The no-compete clause on contracts killed it. Does anybody care about AW anymore? That's what the no-compete is designed to do. AW said he wanted to come out on shoot interviews and talk about WWE but couldn't because of contract stipulations. Once it's up, nobody would care about AW anymore. What happened in WCW with Lex Luger and the Outsiders jumping ship and immediately going to TV will never happen again.

The lack of competition killed it. We're over 10 years removed from the days of real competition in the industry... it's to the point that nobody would've cared if Matt Morgan(sorry TNA but it's fact) showed up in WWE again rather than making a surprise appearance at a TNA house show, but you had mid-carders showing up in WWE from WCW back in the day and people made a big deal out of it.
    You forgot about Rude being on both Raw and Nitro on the same night.

I'm going to disagree a little. I think it would have to do with the way someone is brought in. Still using Matt Morgan if he walked through the curtain at the Royal Rumble he would get a pop. At the same time if he just showed up at Raw stutterring I'm sure no one would care.

I don't think it's completely gone but sites like this don't help obviously but I love all the spoilers and stuff.

Kane's return with the mask, Jericho coming back and the Nexus were all things that were shocking in recent history, even The Rock as guest host of WM. Obviously it's not like 10 years ago when I didn't even know who Lesner was and then he debuts and detroys everyone but they still have their moments.

Gets harder and harder to do.

Especially to people who go to wrestling forums/dirt sheets.
    Kaige Chamberlain
    Ballad of an Asshole

Former RTE Tag-Team Champion(w/ Xavier Hightower[1])
    Current EWNCW Tag-Team Champion (Solo; 3/30/14) [1]
    'Father' Black Angel:
    Preacher of the Voices

Winner of BotN[Seraphim]

I'm trying to be number one, why would I settle?
    @IWACreative_Parody Tweeter