Threaded View

Blog Entries

Who can be the new Rey Mysterio?

It saddens me to say this, but Rey really is near the end of his career. I don't know if he's fully healed or that the last injury just took to much out of him, but he's much, much slower and needs a lot of assistance, while he has further toned down his moveset. It was painfully obvious when he went for the splash: it wasn't a splash, just an barely controlled belly flop.

Some will say he's been over the hill for half a decade, with which I do not agree. He had a fantastic match with John Morrison for the IC-title, in which he showed that he (at that time) could still go if he wanted/needed to.

I am not calling for him to quit. That's up for him/WWE to decide, and they should do it big and right when it's time. And further more: he still has something to offer. He helps Sin Cara a lot, he stills gets a big pop, and the kids/mask thing on his way to the ring is a cool thing that turns fans into fans for life. It makes the night for every kid, but also for every dad that took his kid to the show, and I think that's cool.

Which brings me to this: who do they need to start grooming to take over when Rey calls it quits? Sin Cara of course in a way, but I don't see him pulling of the talking & being a genuine nice guy. Kofi Kingston springs to mind, but also needs a lot of work. How are they going to make Kofi relevant, more than a perennials mid carder?
    Chris Jericho: 'Without a storyline, wrestling is just two guys in their underwear rolling around half naked.'

Jim Cornette: 'They think they have to make up for it by doing all this devastating stuff, but the stuff isn’t devastating if you don’t beat people with it. Then you’re just going out there exposing the business.'