Back in the day...

I just got finished rewatching that old movie "Ready to Rumble." Yes, with David Arquette. And it reminded me of why I loved wrestling shows back in the day. (And no, it wasn't because of David Arquette, perish the thought.)

Not that I don't love them now, don't get me wrong. I'm a wrestling fan, I watch what I can when I can, doesn't matter which promotion as long as it's good. I loved the spectacle. I loved the glitz, the pageantry. Neither WWE or TNA has that any longer.

I want the Nitro Girls back; let women who can wrestle do the wrestling and the pinups be the dancers. (Yes, K2, I'm talking to you.) TNA could do this, I don't know if WWE could with the damned PG crap. I want the announcers back who can introduce a main event match with style. Who could ever forget "for the thousands in attendance ... and the millions watching around the world ..." That guy had an awesome voice and it just added something to the experience. Mike Tenay ... no, sorry, I know he's a great guy and all but hell I bet that *I* could do a more awesome job introducing a match than he.

I want commentators back who actually talk about the matches. (TNA is better than WWE in this department.) Not who get involved in matches. I want theme songs that really catch you, that are memorable. Maybe I'm getting old, but when I hear the music now I have to actually think to figure out whose music it is. Ric Flair? Oh hell, I heard the first note of his music and I knew who it was. There are a few nowadays, I have to admit. Daniel Bryan, same thing. Bobby Roode, close. I'd love to see Bully Ray coming out to "Bad to the Bone."

Yes, I know, wish in one hand, piss in the other, see which one fills up first. But I can still dream, can't I?

That's funny when I think of "back in the day" it's all about 80s wrestling... World Class, Mid South, NWA, WWF, etc.

Lol i don't want the divas the only diva i can truly say i'm a fan of is AJ and i think we all know how to fix the com problem replace Jerry with JBL (not going to happen )

And before someone goes "OMG you sick fuck how dare you say that about Jerry he had a heart attack" IDC he still sucks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ewantu2 View Post
    Lol i don't want the divas the only diva i can truly say i'm a fan of is AJ and i think we all know how to fix the com problem replace Jerry with JBL (not going to happen )

And before someone goes "OMG you sick fuck how dare you say that about Jerry he had a heart attack" IDC he still sucks.
    I don't think anyone's going to say that man. Everyone is well aware that Lawler's not got it any more as a commentator and has been stale a LONG time. I think everyone would rather see JBL replace him permanently.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    I think everyone would rather see JBL replace him permanently.
    I wouldnt. JBL sounds an awful lot like a guy reading off some stat sheets he dug up on Wikipedia, as he keeps doing that deal where he butts in to list the titles a performer ha previously won (the mark of someone unfamiliar with the current product looking for something to say.) And the bickering has gotten old already, distracts from the match and doesn't get anyone over...besides Layfield.
    --Stately

visit the home of The Return Of The Official Greatest Heel Column Ever
    http://www.swmswm.com/StatelyStates.htm

Blog Entries
    Re the thread-opener...."That guy" Michael Buffer cost WCW a small fortune (he's a famous boxing announcer) and sold no extra tickets or PPVs. Tenay is a play-by-play man which is entirely different than a ring announcer whose job is to do intros. They leave that to Jeremy Borash and Christy Hemme...and I don't care how competent or not the latter is, she gets a free pass on pure hotness.

One reason wrestlers don't use popular songs as intros now is because the music industry cracked down on that years ago, charging the promotion every time a song was played on-air or on a tape/DVD. And that's if the artist will consent.
    --Stately

visit the home of The Return Of The Official Greatest Heel Column Ever
    http://www.swmswm.com/StatelyStates.htm

Quote Originally Posted by imswm View Post
    Re the thread-opener...."That guy" Michael Buffer cost WCW a small fortune (he's a famous boxing announcer) and sold no extra tickets or PPVs. Tenay is a play-by-play man which is entirely different than a ring announcer whose job is to do intros. They leave that to Jeremy Borash and Christy Hemme...and I don't care how competent or not the latter is, she gets a free pass on pure hotness.

One reason wrestlers don't use popular songs as intros now is because the music industry cracked down on that years ago, charging the promotion every time a song was played on-air or on a tape/DVD. And that's if the artist will consent.
    Also popular songs suck anyway theses days so maybe it's for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ewantu2 View Post
    Also popular songs suck anyway theses days so maybe it's for the best.
    QFT. I'd just like something ... y'know ... that has some sort of connection to the wrestler/character.