View Poll Results: Was Montreal Screwjob the best or worst moment in the history of Survivor Series

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is the best moment

0 0%
  • It is the worst moment

2 33.33%
  • It is best and worst moment

4 66.67%

Was the Montreal Screwjob the best or worst moment in Survivor Series history?

I've been thinking about this. For those who don't know, I do best and worst moments of most WWE ppv events. Plan on doing the same for Survivor Series. I made the list and Screwjob could make both lists, but if it had to be on one....which one should it be on? To me it is the best moment simply because it is still talked about til this day. It is the most talked about moment probably in WWE history. Tell me a moment that has been more discussed over recent years that has happened like 15 years ago. It started the attitude era is some folks mind.

The only thing that really turned bad about it was for Bret Hart and the Hart family. When you talk about WWE capitalizing on it with Mr.McMahon as a heel vs Austin ended up beating WCW in the ratings in their first matchup on Raw. WWE went in a completely different direction that the Harts including Owen and Bret didn't want with the language, women puppy's and so forth. So I ask, was it the best or worst moment in the history of Survivor Series? Vote and discuss.....most voted may decide whether it will be listed in both or simply one of those top 10 moment list. By the way, any moments you believe should be considered for my lists, leave those as well in your replys. Already did the top 10s, but havn't posted them yet. I may have missed something.....

Blog Entries
    It's certainly the most memorable.

There's 2 sides to the coin. I mean Bret was unwilling to drop the belt outright before he finished up with WWF to go to WCW. That's unprofessional. He was acting like a little bitch in that respect.

On the other hand, the way they went about doing it in the end was just plain wrong.

As far as capitalizing on it, it's not the first time WWF capitalized on a real life misfortune like that, and it wasn't the last. They did that for business at the end of the day, and who wouldn't. Was it morally right to do that though? Probably not.

I'd say there were good and bad things to it looking back.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    It's certainly the most memorable.

There's 2 sides to the coin. I mean Bret was unwilling to drop the belt outright before he finished up with WWF to go to WCW. That's unprofessional. He was acting like a little bitch in that respect.

On the other hand, the way they went about doing it in the end was just plain wrong.

As far as capitalizing on it, it's not the first time WWF capitalized on a real life misfortune like that, and it wasn't the last. They did that for business at the end of the day, and who wouldn't. Was it morally right to do that though? Probably not.

I'd say there were good and bad things to it looking back.
    Ah but he was willing to drop it the next night on RAW. As with many top stars back then, they had some creative control.

All around, I think they handled it wrong. It made Vince, HHH and HBK look bad- it made WWE look bad. The fallout cost WWE Davy Boy Smith, Jim Neidhart and Rick Rude(ok not real big loses but still), and if WWE were not pricks about things, Owen would have left too and would not have had to be the Blue Blazer again and would still be alive.

In the end, yes, they capitalized on it, Vince, HHH and HBK got over even more- but it was fucked up how they handled it all and it was fucked up all those years HBK and HHH saying they knew nothing about it, had no part in it etc. I am sure it kept some wrestlers from signing with them at the time

Rest in Peace Eva "Ezra"

^
    ah, Renee Young

If Bret would have stayed in the WWE there would have been some amazing matches and he wouldn't have been mule kicked by Goldberg.

I bet he regrets many of his decisions, but from a business perspective I understand it. It would have been more of a screwjob if Bret went to Nitro with the WWE title.

I think Bret wouldn't want to lose the title in Montreal and definitely not against HBK
    ‚Äč

I haven't voted cause to me it was the second best moment in Survivor Series behind The Undertaker's debut (that's how you make a monster in their first match but I guess just too risky these days). I think it actually made more of a name of the two competitors involved than the title did at the time, it made Vince become the evil owner of the WWE and it gave HBK more heat in Canada than I have ever seen anyone else gain, or hold. How many years after was he on the end of "You screwed Brett" chants? How much more of a Canadian Hero did Brett become? Of course there's only one real Canadian hero, and he played hockey numbered 99 but I don't think anyone else will be seen as the Canadian Hero in wrestling since Brett, I suppose the only other to push the national card as part of his gimmick was Lance Storm

Look at it like this: Bret refused to drop the belt in his hometown even though it's the WWE's property and his contract was expiring and he was jumping ship to WCW rather than signing a new deal. So if he wouldn't give the belt back, WWE took it back. Let's say you don't pay your car payment. What happens? They come and repo it. Just think of Bret being delinquent on his payments, and WWE came to reposess the WWE title. Yes you may think the repo man is evil for taking your shit, but your the one that didn't pay for it, so it's not that evil in reality. Just like if you don't pay your phone bill it gets turned off. You can't be mad at the company for turning it off, only mad at yourself for not paying. I like Bret Hart, and respect him as one of the greatest in ring performers ever, but on that particular night, he really was being just like the people who have their stuff repossessed because they won't pay for their shit. Had he signed a new contract, he would have likely be allowed to win and keep the title that night.
    "What was dat honey? Oh dat was da dragon screw leg whip!" -Dusty Rhodes on commentary during Rey Mysterio jr. vs. Eddie Guerrero at Halloween Havoc '96

After years of shrugging it off, Cena's beginning to get annoyed by his haters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    I
    According to Bret Hart, he was willing to drop the title at Montreal to anybody not named Shawn Michaels but Vince insisted on having him drop the title to Shawn. I can't blame Bret because Shawn Michaels was considered a huge asshole behind the curtains and said he wasn't willing to put anybody else over which ticked Bret off. Although I do think Bret should have let his pride go and dropped the title to Shawn as he was going to work for WCW, the other competition.

I think the Montreal Screwjob was the best/worst moment in Survivor Series history. The positive thing the Screwjob gave us was that feeling of unpredictably on their PPVs and it also planted the seeds of a Mr. Mcmahon heel turn.

The negative thing about the Screwjob was that the WWE almost lost Mic Foley and The Undertaker because of it and also the impact it had on Bret. I know Bret has forgiven Vince since but it has to be pretty tough for him to talk about even to this day.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Cena rapping on Paul Heyman
    You see I don't need your approval Paul. I'm gonna take my respect. I'll bounce you quicker than an ECW check.

Quote Originally Posted by masakaritko View Post
    Look at it like this: Bret refused to drop the belt in his hometown even though it's the WWE's property and his contract was expiring and he was jumping ship to WCW rather than signing a new deal. So if he wouldn't give the belt back, WWE took it back. Let's say you don't pay your car payment. What happens? They come and repo it. Just think of Bret being delinquent on his payments, and WWE came to reposess the WWE title. Yes you may think the repo man is evil for taking your shit, but your the one that didn't pay for it, so it's not that evil in reality. Just like if you don't pay your phone bill it gets turned off. You can't be mad at the company for turning it off, only mad at yourself for not paying. I like Bret Hart, and respect him as one of the greatest in ring performers ever, but on that particular night, he really was being just like the people who have their stuff repossessed because they won't pay for their shit. Had he signed a new contract, he would have likely be allowed to win and keep the title that night.
    Ah, but Bret did sign a new contract with WWE- but Vince went back on it(You know that 20 year contract). Vince then told Bret to take the WCW deal

Rest in Peace Eva "Ezra"

^
    ah, Renee Young