Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Is 3 Hours Really Working?

The title says it all. Is 3 hours really working for Monday night Raw? I start thinking about recent Raws, and while we have had a few good matches on the show, alot of it is filled with pointless promos highlighting something from previous weeks, or matches that really are just pointless. The thing that got me to really question if the 3 hrs is good or not, is this blog.

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/commun...ings-Breakdown

Now obviously the WWE won't suddenly jump the 4.0 tv rating, but I really think these 3 hr shows are hurting the amount of viewers. I know if I DVR the show and don't watch it live, i fast forward and only stop on promos from wrestlers, or actual matches.

What do you guys think?

I don't think the 3 hours is the problem, its how wwe decided to spend that time. They've were successful for a long time with just two hours but as the writing became weaker and more time was dedicated to unimportant things the product got worse and the fans suffered. When they announced they were adding an hour I was hoping that meant more time for matches and storylines but it seems like they are still choosing to take up, normally, half to 70% of the show with comedy sketches and promoting twitcher and the fucking video thing. If I were in charge the first thing to go would be anything having to do with social media
    When the Devil is to busy
    And Death's a bit to much
    They call on me by name you see, for my special touch

To the gentleman I'm Ms. Forture
    To the ladies I'm Sir Prize
    But call me by any name, any way it's all the same

Quote Originally Posted by Dameduse823 View Post
    If I were in charge the first thing to go would be anything having to do with social media
    What you fail to realize is that social media equates to free advertising. WWE pays nothing when people naturally talk about wrestling as non-wrestling fans who are friends with that particular person get the wrestling talk coming in as a "latest activity" feed. The more they stimulate that kind of interaction and discussion, the more people it's reaching.

We live in a completely different time, where products can achieve millions of dollars of success with little in the way of advertising revenue spent for it. Take Minecraft for instance. Zero advertising, or virtually nothing as I can't really say that it's had any advertising. DayZ is another great example, which is a free mod for a game that people bought just to play the mod. These are good products mixed with natural discussion across forums and social media, and it's the same millions coming in as another similar product but with an enormous amount of advertising behind it. The expenditures to get that amount of money coming in between those two kinds of products are vastly different. Why pay for advertising when you don't necessarily have to?

I think the social media thing has been blown way out of proportion. I don't even remember WWE mentioning Tout at all on RAW or SmackDown this week... and if they did it had to be maybe once or twice. It's a crock of shit to say that they're overdoing it right now, because they're not. It used to be obnoxious but it's really been taking a back seat as of late.

As for the three hour show, I think they're doing okay, but some improvements can be made. Unfortunately you have to try and hold interest for three hours, which is enormously difficult in this day and age of impatience, and especially when the talent pool isn't as stacked as it could be. Also, when you have an audience with a prominent children's section, they have school now that the summer's over with and that can be a problem with anally retentive parents(potentially homework too, not just bed time).

On RAW this week they blew their load way early into the show, taking Dolph, Orton, Rhodes, Rey and Sin Cara out of the picture in the early part of the three hour show. Kane, Daniel Bryan and Sheamus were the big names for the majority of the show, with big names finishing at the very last half hour(at best) of the show. You can't have all that filler back to back. They need to find a way to build to the end of the show all throughout the show, and mix their bigger names with their filler a bit better. Also, there's something to be said for predictability. There's not a whole lot that happens on the show that feels spontaneous, and that builds confidence in the audience that they can tune out for awhile and not miss very much. If the show is unpredictable by nature, you're afraid to tune out in case you miss something special. The ending of RAW this week was the very definition of unpredictable... imagine being afraid of missing something like that by tuning out in the middle of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Viperfish View Post
    A whole bunch of really good information... You should all read what Viper said here.
    While I agree with your points on the free advertising, remember that it goes both ways. Is it great they are talking about your product? Of course, but a lot is to be said about what is being said about your product. If people are openly bashing it on social media, it might be free advertising, but it's bringing a negative attitude towards your product. Example, if people on twitter are saying that #RAW is too long or that you can miss 45 mins of any #WWE program, and still know what happened while you changed channels, you are spreading the wrong advertisement of your product. Yes it is free, but "free" negative advertisement is bad for any product.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Viperfish View Post
    What you fail to realize is that social media equates to free advertising. WWE pays nothing when people naturally talk about wrestling as non-wrestling fans who are friends with that particular person get the wrestling talk coming in as a "latest activity" feed. The more they stimulate that kind of interaction and discussion, the more people it's reaching.
    You've a lot of good points and I'm not going to argue with you about them because I agree with most of them but let me just say this. Before twitter, tout, facebook, myspace, any social media outlet came around, people were still talking about wrestling because they were fans. The reason I said I would get rid of the social media stuff or raw and smackdown is because I honestly believe that if they put enough effort into making the onscreen product better, people would still be talking about them without the wasted time for wwe to play tout videos or cole to babble about twits.... I mean tweets during the show
    When the Devil is to busy
    And Death's a bit to much
    They call on me by name you see, for my special touch

To the gentleman I'm Ms. Forture
    To the ladies I'm Sir Prize
    But call me by any name, any way it's all the same

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dameduse823 View Post
    You've a lot of good points and I'm not going to argue with you about them because I agree with most of them but let me just say this. Before twitter, tout, facebook, myspace, any social media outlet came around, people were still talking about wrestling because they were fans. The reason I said I would get rid of the social media stuff or raw and smackdown is because I honestly believe that if they put enough effort into making the onscreen product better, people would still be talking about them without the wasted time for wwe to play tout videos or cole to babble about twits.... I mean tweets during the show
    The thing is a that social media it's a good platform to promote themselves and secure one, so it's kinda the best option, besides since they don't have a real competition right now(LOL TNA), they don't really have to improve

At first I thought the 3 hours was a good idea, but as I have been seeing Raw, it's nothing but commercials. Thank God for my DVR, I record RAW now and watch it later so I can forward all the crappy commercials and matches. Honestly, I've been able to watch RAW under an hour and a half.
    ​​​

IWA: Tenacious D(ave) and Dave "The Gunner" Steele
    The Official Poster Creator for the IWA

Quote Originally Posted by Asherdelampyr View Post
    If I could fuck the way Dave makes posters, I would become the most successful male whore in history. Seriously, my balls are clapping, well fucking done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandarius View Post
    For those who are too lazy to go to the front page ( ;D ), I have Dave's sexy PPV poster as my signature! Mad props to Dave!

No, watch the rating pattern. After 2 hours people get tired of it and there is a major turn off.

''Ricardo Rodriguez is the best character on WWE TV.''

Quote Originally Posted by Automatic View Post
    No, watch the rating pattern. After 2 hours people get tired of it and there is a major turn off.
    I agree with you... and with NFL football back on Monday Nights! There are some good games on tonight.
    ​​​

IWA: Tenacious D(ave) and Dave "The Gunner" Steele
    The Official Poster Creator for the IWA

Quote Originally Posted by Asherdelampyr View Post
    If I could fuck the way Dave makes posters, I would become the most successful male whore in history. Seriously, my balls are clapping, well fucking done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandarius View Post
    For those who are too lazy to go to the front page ( ;D ), I have Dave's sexy PPV poster as my signature! Mad props to Dave!

I say yes and no its working, some nights it feels like its the normal 2 hour show and other times it just drags on like they don't know what to do with the extra hour slot.