Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Can we get back to the original topic instead of worrying about how professional wrestlers get paid?

Anywho, back to the task at hand. I will say that the a Mid-Card vs. Main Event thing would be great. I have no recollection of that happening in the wrestling, let alone the WWE. You could even bring back the Mid-Card Mafia back. Have Reks, Hawkins, JTG and Drew complain and complain that they deserve a much higher spot than they have now. Take championships, as in the Tag Team, US and IC, and still not be pleased. "Injure" people left and right till those Main Eventers eventually say that they are getting out of hand. Boom bang everyone's happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAndy View Post
    Sadly, they are in an entertainment/athletic industry. It's odd to have an industry like that for so long without a union. Ultimately it comes down to what a company is willing to pay you. They won't ever be on the level of the big 3 sports (baseball, football, basketball) so it's hard to argue for salaries like that. However, they put their bodies under greater duress than all of those sports combined. I don't think there's a real easy solution to this. Especially when the names on so many of the merchandise products are owned by the company.
    I have to disagree that they put their bodies through worse than all three combined. More than Base and Basket combined, but I seriously doubt more than Football.

Here's a spin. Would some of the Europeans who are knowledgeable on the subject, give me some insight into the average salary of a top level Rugby player? I would imagine that they aren't payed anywhere in the same region as American Football players, and yet, in my eyes, they put themselves through much more punishment on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by SESAfro View Post
    Can we get back to the original topic instead of worrying about how professional wrestlers get paid?
    Sure thing.

Here is a similar post, from a similar thread.

Quote Originally Posted by UK1987 View Post
    Now, I have just had a thought on something. Could be totally left field but I think it could work as a shocking angle for the summer. I know it is thought that CM Punk turning heel was that angle but that could be masking the real story.

There have been some recent posts on the site about the poor treatment of the mid card talent and how they are not getting the same treatment as the top level talent. What do you guys think to that being a storyline and the shocking angle being the mid card talent taking things into their own hands and attacking the top talents. There is talk of this union in the wwe, well maybe this union could be the storyline. All of the mid carders coming in when there is a promo going on between Cena and Punk for example and they tear them up leaving them in the ring. With similar after effects of the Nexus angle. This could go on for months with there being a leader of the group. Dolph Ziggler maybe?? And with him having MITB they could all come in and beat up Sheamus... Music hits... Ziggler runs in, cashes, wins title and then the group have the strap... This puts him in a leader position and then they hoist him above they heads, celebrating..

This gives a chance to see if any of these guys have the potential to be good at the top level and brings in a shocking angle through the summer... Gives a chance to get rid of Santino's gimmick also. After Jinder Mahal led the mid carders to the ring to get beaten up by Kane and Taker, it could stem from there.

What are your thoughts??
    Here was my response.

Quote Originally Posted by ParagonOfVirtue View Post
    I really like the OP idea, but let's look at another avenue.

Punk's heel turn. The biggest thing he's been talking about is respect. Tired of living in the shadow of Cena, Big Show, whoever else who is NOT the WWE champion.

Nash has been very vocal on twitter and in interviews about an nWo re-boot, name-dropping Punk a lot. Which, is fairly strange considering A) interaction between the two from last year, and B) his recent comments about undersized wrestlers (Which interestingly enough, J.R. said he disagreed, but mentioned more or less that Kevin is up to something).

A.W.'s firing, JTG's tweets, and numerous reports about unhappy talent.

So, let's say OP's idea does come to fruition. How do you think the WWE champion, on his new "respect" kick, is going to feel about all this attention being given to Ziggler and "the upstarts"? SES meets nWo with Punk at the helm and Nash in an enforcer role, that way we don't have to see his ass attempt to wrestle. Who else jumps on the boat?

Alternatively, merge the OP's idea with Punk as their "voice" instead of ziggler. Falls right in line with various statements he has made in the past about not fitting the image of what the company wants as a champ, and in all actuality, isn't his current argument against Cena the same one that these mid/under carders have with the main eventers? Sure seems like Punk, in his current mode, fits in quite nicely as a mouthpiece for these guys.

Or.... it's a not a work, and TNA is about to get more goods. Who knows?
    As far as THIS thread's OP, while the Survivor Series platform does seem to fit very well with this type of match/angle, I really feel like the storyline wouldn't get enough ignition before the PPV. And, SS is typically used as a definitive ending point in many stable wars or dude+backup vs. dude+backup type storylines. If they did do any of the many potential variations of this angle, I would hope for it to be a tumultuous ongoing affair.

Quote Originally Posted by ParagonOfVirtue View Post
    I have to disagree that they put their bodies through worse than all three combined. More than Base and Basket combined, but I seriously doubt more than Football.

Here's a spin. Would some of the Europeans who are knowledgeable on the subject, give me some insight into the average salary of a top level Rugby player? I would imagine that they aren't payed anywhere in the same region as American Football players, and yet, in my eyes, they put themselves through much more punishment on the field.
    False. Sports Science has shown that Rugby players, while tough and putting on some great hits, mentally his with some reservation. They pull some hits because they mentally know that the body is unprotected. They have measured the pressure of the hits. Football players have padding so they don't hold back on their hits. The force of the hits were higher for football players. You can look up the show Sports Science and watch the segment on football vs rugby.

I would argue that football players go through much, but those hits aren't on every single play. Most injuries to football players are with the leg bending or tearing in a way it shouldn't when they are hit. It doesn't have to do with the way somebody hit them. Athletes in tip top shape have mentioned over and over again that they didn't realize how sore they'd be the next day after putting on a wrestling match and just taking the force of a few scoop slams.
    Why Tebow when you can Beltre instead?

Quote Originally Posted by SESAfro View Post

Anywho, back to the task at hand. I will say that the a Mid-Card vs. Main Event thing would be great. I have no recollection of that happening in the wrestling, let alone the WWE. You could even bring back the Mid-Card Mafia back. Have Reks, Hawkins, JTG and Drew complain and complain that they deserve a much higher spot than they have now. Take championships, as in the Tag Team, US and IC, and still not be pleased. "Injure" people left and right till those Main Eventers eventually say that they are getting out of hand. Boom bang everyone's happy.
    If this era is indeed called the Reality era then something like this would make sense. On a side note, I'm tired of seeing exclusive report after exclusive report with the only information being "upset wrestlers are playing it safe." Until they do something other than play it safe, please stop giving us stupid reports.
    Why Tebow when you can Beltre instead?

Quote Originally Posted by BadAndy View Post
    False. Sports Science has shown that Rugby players, while tough and putting on some great hits, mentally his with some reservation. They pull some hits because they mentally know that the body is unprotected. They have measured the pressure of the hits. Football players have padding so they don't hold back on their hits. The force of the hits were higher for football players. You can look up the show Sports Science and watch the segment on football vs rugby.

I would argue that football players go through much, but those hits aren't on every single play. Most injuries to football players are with the leg bending or tearing in a way it shouldn't when they are hit. It doesn't have to do with the way somebody hit them. Athletes in tip top shape have mentioned over and over again that they didn't realize how sore they'd be the next day after putting on a wrestling match and just taking the force of a few scoop slams.
    Well yeah, I mean, that's why I asked. I genuinely know jack squat about rugby, other than I think it's interesting and wish I could watch it more often. I made an assumption, which as we all know, "makes an ass out of 'u' and 'me'".

Understandably, wrestling takes a major toll on you, to be sure, but I still feel like football is the more dangerous of the two. Or, if not more, at least comparable to the extent that you can't say it would be outweighed when added to another. There's tons of guys that have died, been left crippled, addicted to pain killers, or otherwise left in a mess from wrestling, but you get all the same stuff from football. There was a big article in SI about a year or so ago talking about all these guys from just one team that all are either dead from a myriad of ailments, committed suicide, on drugs, so on and so forth. That was just one team from a particular season or group of seasons. Of course, it's hard to argue that, being that football seemingly has many many more active participants and much more documentation. It's a sad fact, either way you look at it; which is very unfortunate.

I can definitely attest though, even if you're an in decent shape young man, simply running the ropes a few times can have you sucking wind before you know it. When you look at someone like Tensei, you may think, "man, that guy is so out of shape", but he's hiding a lot of muscle and cardiovascular training behind that flab, that's for sure.

**I meant to add in, after the part about documentation, that having said that, we already know of many bad things that have happened to wrestlers, but just how many of the old regime are out there suffering, that we don't even know about? It's a big thing with football right now, between the player's association and the league. Shouldn't there be some similar form of group or establishment for wrestlers? Easier said than done, I know, but damn.

In other news, I'm a senior member now! Do I get a cookie? A hate party? Kudos? A stern look? I'm going to bed....

While a very cool idea, I dont think it happen.
    1: WWE is not this creative.
    2: Mid card talent is lesser than headliners, its the way its always been, so how could we believe these grouped together mid carders could hold their own against the headliners. Unless the real top guys, Cena, Big Show, Orton so on, are busy with other feuds, top title matches.

I personally believe its more the WWE is sick of these guys and their "just being happy to be here" attitude. It has been repoted before all this started coming out that management is frustrated by these mid table guys not taking chances, or pushing for opportunities.
    This course of action should shake these guys up a bit, get a little unrest, anger some blood up, and see what happens. I see it as the WWE is in a no loss situation in regards to talent relations. If someone gets so upset they want out the WWE has not "fired anyone", now they do want to keep this from happening too much, as that is a bad look. Yet they have plenty of great new guys who have just come in, and plenty more at NXT/FCW, so any spots open and some new blood comes in and maybe these guys will take the opportunities with both hands the way management wants. Possibly these guys that are upset will be told "set it up and we will look after you" and maybe these guys will, so the WWE wins these as well.

Just my 2cents

Personally, I questioned it too but I don't think its a work. However, it would be smart if the WWE turned it into one once it really fixed the majority of the issues.
    The IWC is to TNA what the Republicans are to Obama: No matter how much good they do...as soon as they're shown to be less than perfect, the other claims that they just can't get anything right.

That would be nice if this was a work. I think WWE is aching for their next anti-establishment stable.
    A R R I VE.
    P A N DA-A T T A C K
    L E A V E.