Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Undefeated Indian Wrestler Dara Singh Passed away

Many of my international friends may not know who Dara Singh IS!! Also, he's a pehalwani (Indian style of Wrestling) Wrestler. He also wrestled in NWA as a professional wrestler for a brief stint.

Dara Singh was a favourite in wrestling tournaments in India. In addition to this, he wrestled on invitation of kings of Indian princely states and wrestled frequently in fairs and carnivals.

He successfully competed against some of the famous professional wrestlers in USA.

Dara went to Singapore in 1947. Became the Champion of Malaysia (Indian style wrestling) by defeating Tarlok Singh in Kuala Lumpur. He has toured almost all far-east countries as a Professional Wrestler. Dara Singh returned to India in 1952 and became the Indian Champion in 1954.

Stanislaus Zbyszko, Lou Thesz and Emile Czaya are some of the wrestlers Dara Singh has wrestled.

He got place in Wrestling Newsletter Observer's Hall of Fame in Class of 1996.
    Last edited by Sahu; 07-12-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately I do not have any videos of his wrestling matches. But, I have one video of his from an Indian film called Foulad (1963)...where he portrayed a wrestling tag team match..n I found it is awesome n they did few old school moves...

The match is also very well scripted..Just see the match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VctCW5uZF2Q

Blog Entries
    btw, he is undefeated in pehalwani wrestling..I do not know much about his win record in Professional Wrestling!!

Moderator "The Trinity" Kashdinero's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've heard of this guy, but only through Eric Garguillo's announcing in CZW, where he would often compare Sonjay Dutt to him (in terms of popularity in India).

Nice of you to educate us on a wrestling legend 99% of us have never even heard of

Top marks!
    Ma$$Dinero... We're shootin' now, bruv!

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Kash; calling it 4 years before Robbie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Bodom is our John Cena.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dismal Jester View Post
    I hate you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    #KashBrokeMyBrain
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilsAdvocate View Post
    Nerds are awesome though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979 View Post
    Are you going for some kind of sig quote world record?
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    You can choke on a big bag of dicks, good sir.

#FreeBodom

You just gotta love this gem from his wikipedia page:

"He remains as the Action King of Bollywood of the 1960s and 1970s, and believed to have started the trend of Taking the shirt off."

Undefeated in pro wrestling AND the pioneer of Taking the shirt off in action movies. What a lad.

Blog Entries
    I've heard of this guy, but only through Eric Garguillo's announcing in CZW, where he would often compare Sonjay Dutt to him (in terms of popularity in India).

Nice of you to educate us on a wrestling legend 99% of us have never even heard of

Top marks!
    Thanks Kash!! I have nothing against Sonjay Dutt n in fact am a huge fan of him...but, he's a no name in India untill recent...he got name in India only through Ring ka King..not many ppl watch TNA in India..

Dara Singh...I mean one cannot believe how famous he used to be...he's a cult icon...and dubbed as Original Indian He-Man...known for his freaking strength..when ever any one talks abt Wrestling or body building...the only name comes into mind is DARA SINGH (till 90s coz..I born in 80s n grown through 90s..n he is a role model for me too)...

He's also a brilliant actor..n a great human....

RIP His Soul!!!
    Last edited by Sahu; 07-12-2012 at 05:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    Heart goes out to my brother. I hadn't heard of him before, but thanks for bringing us up to speed.

Blog Entries
    "He remains as the Action King of Bollywood of the 1960s and 1970s, and believed to have started the trend of Taking the shirt off."
    Do not expect a six pack...back then it is not the tend...:d but, a look at him will tell u how freakingly strong he is...I donno how Vince boy missed him...

because he's in fact 6'2" and around 240-250 lbs....

Blog Entries
    Heart goes out to my brother. I hadn't heard of him before, but thanks for bringing us up to speed.
    Thanks brother!!

The saddest thing is seeing such a strong man spending his last days in a wheel chair...just two months ago he gave an interview....n in these 60 days he went through many things..n finally had his last breath today morning as per IST...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahu View Post
    Thanks brother!!

The saddest thing is seeing such a strong man spending his last days in a wheel chair...just two months ago he gave an interview....n in these 60 days he went through many things..n finally had his last breath today morning as per IST...
    My mother told me about Indian wrestling, and how it was unique to the rest of the world. I guess pehalwani is what she was talking about.