Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fresh Member
    Blog Entries

Can wrestling ever run a drug story arc?

I've probably missed some major story in the past, and will be lambasted for it, but here goes anyway:

While I’m not really enjoying the current story line in TNA (slightly) involving drug addiction, it has made me wonder: has wrestling ever presented, or could it ever present, a serious storyline involving drug addiction? I don’t just mean having someone apologise for being suspended for a single mistake. I mean a long running arc, where the we have to watch a wrestler fall into addiction over months, and where the fans can see why he started, why he can’t stop himself, and what is at stake if he doesn’t?

We all know how many wrestlers have died too young, with drugs and alcohol being major contributors. There are many still in action that must rattle when they land on the mat. Would that make any angle, no matter how well written or presented, too personal for many in the business? Especially considering that many would be replicating their own, or friends problems?

For example, Kaz is (kayfab) badly injured. After weeks away, he returns but is on a bad losing streak. After having some close calls, his confidence is shot and reaches rock bottom when Rob E beats him cleanly. Meanwhile, some quack doctor has been pushing a new wonder drug to the guys backstage. Everyone else turns him down, except for a now desperate Kaz. For the next month, he’s on fire, not just winning but show casing some insanely suicidal moves. The fans are loving it, but he's having to hobble to the back every week.
    As the weeks progress, we get to see him sink into addiction outside the ring, but continue to rake up the wins inside it.
    Could lead to some great feuds, with Hardy, Daniels, AJ, etc, all trying to show him that the drug is his weakness, not his strength.

I could go on with this story, but TBH, I think that we’re all old enough to know how this plays out in real life.

Would, could, or should this, be used as a storyline in wrestling? Or has it been used, and if so, when?

Blog Entries
    Don't feel bad - if a story went down like that already then I missed it too.

On the one hand, I can see why this would be such a dodgy issue... companies like WWE, who have high social standing, may balk at this because, even though the older fans know better, younger fans (kids) would see a wrestler "doing drugs" and this would complicate things... at least in the company's eyes. Also, with several of their past talents (and some current ones) having dealt with/dealing with drug problems, they may see this as something extremely taboo.

On the other hand, I think it could possibly work. Not just another "don't do drugs" message for people, but also something for wrestlers and those involved in sports. Especially if you have a character who may have had drug issues play a part in the storyline to lend it credibility. It could be a strong message about how real the drug issue is, the impact it can have, and how even when one is far gone there is still a way back to the light.

Just my opinion.

The Star Signs
    IWA - JBW - TWE - BITW

Sagittarius Blue - 1st Ever JBW United States Champion

#WhereIsPiscesPink

WWE Fed...
    Kharma/Awesome Kong
    Lei'D Tapa, The Queen of the Rings
    Kenny King, The Prettyboy Pitbull

wrestling is trying to get away from having people think they are dope up freaks. also it will make the drug testing look like a joke.

Blog Entries
    Issues as drug use, and etc is on 90 percent of the TV.... at least here in the USA....
    Watch daytime TV talk shows, Soaps, and night time TV such as crime shows.... I think the biggest problem is dictating the issues.... Esp in the case mention here drug addiction....

IDK if you remember WWE did the story with Road Warrior Hawk and his demons of sorts....
    TNA kinda touched the Jeff Hardy issue when he returned last year..... but didn't go anything more deeper then the I'm Sorry and others forgiving.....
    We all judge others even if it isn't our place to judge, but supposedly at the end we are all judged by one!!!
    Wrestling, women and money who could ask for more???

Blog Entries
    The Hawk angle was very much an out in the open drug angle. I heard that Droz was supposed to turn out to be his "dealer" but I think it got scrapped. Only in the Attitude Era.

An angle concerning drugs could never work because the company would appear to be seen as condoning them - as in at least one employee would be storyline condoning their use. There would just be too much heat. Wrong heat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    The Hawk angle was very much an out in the open drug angle. I heard that Droz was supposed to turn out to be his "dealer" but I think it got scrapped. Only in the Attitude Era.

An angle concerning drugs could never work because the company would appear to be seen as condoning them - as in at least one employee would be storyline condoning their use. There would just be too much heat. Wrong heat.
    You do have a point. I still wish that such a story could be done - especially with so many young people that watch wrestling - but I can see why that is such a touchy subject.

The Star Signs
    IWA - JBW - TWE - BITW

Sagittarius Blue - 1st Ever JBW United States Champion

#WhereIsPiscesPink

WWE Fed...
    Kharma/Awesome Kong
    Lei'D Tapa, The Queen of the Rings
    Kenny King, The Prettyboy Pitbull

Blog Entries
    There is so much of stuff on our tVs over drug addiction...so..I do not think pro-wrestling also start doing it...

I feel it may have wrong impact also...

but, ur story line is good...Kaz looks like an addict..

he can do it...n have some incredible matches with Daniels or AJ or Joe...n his final rivalry should be with one of the hardys...I prefer a returning Matt...over a Jeff..simple reason is Matt can cut better promo than Jeff..n also Matt has gained so much of notoriety..

He'll be the right person to teach Kaz a lesson....

Blog Entries
    It could easily work in TNA, as they don't have any restrictions when it comes to storylines.
    It couldn't work in the WWE though, in the way that you described, as it would go against the image that they're trying to portray. The most they could do was Serena being an addict and Punk "healing" her.

I personally battle(d) with addiction myself and feel that this story is something than needs to be left alone. I am sure if they had the set of competent writers then the story could be good, but the amount of negativity that already surrounds the wrestling industry in relation to drugs is not something that we should throw straight into the face of the viewers. Rob said it right when he said it brings the "wrong heat" and that heat wouldn't be just for Kaz (using your example) but for the industry as a whole. I do think there is potential, but I think the risk involved isn't worth the reward for putting on a decent story.

Quote Originally Posted by akbar View Post
    I'd rather masturbate to your picture of Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE View Post
    DRG hates everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post

AH! You beat me to the punch! But yeah, there was already and angle back in 98' where Hawk was suppose to be on drugs and Droz was his supplier. It started a short lived fued between Animal and Droz in which Droz was kicked out of the LOD.
    The IWC is to TNA what the Republicans are to Obama: No matter how much good they do...as soon as they're shown to be less than perfect, the other claims that they just can't get anything right.