Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Did Mark William Calaway get lucky?

So I was talking to someone the other day about Undertaker's streak, and my point was one day the streak will end no matter what, even if he retires undefeated the streak will end (get to a point where it won't grow anymore).

Then my friends answer was, 'Whatever I don't care he sucks anyway', at first i was like WTF, but the more i though about it my friend actually had a point, granted I don't think he meant it in the way I have now deciphered it.

So my question is did Mark William Calaway 'The undertaker', get lucky and just get handed a gimmick that requires little to no ability, he is basically a wrestling zombie and just doesn't have to sell any moves, never has to cut a memorable promo, he just has to keep getting up.

Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ziggles View Post
    So I was talking to someone the other day about Undertaker's streak, and my point was one day the streak will end no matter what, even if he retires undefeated the streak will end (get to a point where it won't grow anymore).

Then my friends answer was, 'Whatever I don't care he sucks anyway', at first i was like WTF, but the more i though about it my friend actually had a point, granted I don't think he meant it in the way I have now deciphered it.

So my question is did Mark William Calaway 'The undertaker', get lucky and just get handed a gimmick that requires little to no ability, he is basically a wrestling zombie and just doesn't have to sell any moves, never has to cut a memorable promo, he just has to keep getting up.

Thoughts?
    The bolded are outrageous comments.

A gimmick that requires little to no ability? Please!
    And doesn't have to sell moves?
    Never cuts a memorable promo?! Taker's mic skill isn't out of this world, but it's still damn good. I find his promos captivating, they suck you into the story he's trying to tell.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Blog Entries
    I'm only going to address the last pat of your OP. The Undertaker nowadays is much more vulnerable than he was when he first started. Back then, he really didn't sell a lot of moves because of the power of the urn that Bearer possessed. But even then, The Undertaker was expected to captivate the interest and minds of the wrestling audience whenever he both but a promo and wrestled. He may not have been technical but some of the moves he pulled off were pretty impressive for a guy that's nearly seven feet tall. Plus, whenever The Undertaker had a feud, he still had to hype it up. Sure, some smoke, lightning and pyro were added into the fray for storytelling elements but even then, he needed to sell his character through mic work. So The Undertaker wasn't necessarily lucky. He had a lot going against him when he got the gimmick, his size, backstage politics but he was still able to get by.

OK so maybe that came across as abit harsh reading it back, but i still stand by what i meant.

I wasn't trying to say is bad, what i meant to get across was would he have as successful as he has been with a regular guy, if he had wrestled under his real name, would Mark Calaway have been on par with The Undertaker, or did the gimmick make him.

I don't know why but I'm really struggling to put this into words.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ziggles View Post
    OK so maybe that came across as abit harsh reading it back, but i still stand by what i meant.

I wasn't trying to say is bad, what i meant to get across was would he have as successful as he has been with a regular guy, if he had wrestled under his real name, would Mark Calaway have been on par with The Undertaker, or did the gimmick make him.

I don't know why but I'm really struggling to put this into words.
    The gimmick helped a lot IMO, in that it was/is an unique gimmick that's been built up over a long period of time. When a veteran keeps going for a long time fans can easily get behind him as time goes on. But the Undertaker moniker has definitely helped him achieve the level of popularity he has.
    Want to join EWN's original e-fed? Join EWNCW NOW!
    Want details? Just ask me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    The bolded are outrageous comments.

A gimmick that requires little to no ability? Please!
    And doesn't have to sell moves?
    Never cuts a memorable promo?! Taker's mic skill isn't out of this world, but it's still damn good. I find his promos captivating, they suck you into the story he's trying to tell.
    I could use Tommy's sentiment, but look at this. Look at his promos with Cena when they were on SD, look at his promos with HBK during their feuds, look at the promos with HHH, or frankly, anyone else. Taker is good on the mic. As for not selling moves, come on now. You could easily go to youtube, type in The Undertaker vs and pick any choices that pop up, and you'll see Taker selling moves.

Black Ninja!
    The Undertaker is Mark Calaway. Without Mark, The Undertaker isn't The Undertaker.

Jman

2x HWA Supremacy World Champion

2x JBW WARfare Tag Team Champion (with thedag and Ryusuke "Shuriken Blade" Serra)

JBW WARfare World Heavyweight Champion

AWF IronMan Champion

Worked for IWA, EWNCW, HWA, SWA,
    JBW, EWA, ICW, and AWF

EWN E-Fedding Hall of Famer

A proud member of the EWN E-Fedding Community

Blog Entries
    I'm actually going to come out on the other side from everyone else here.

The undertaker gimmick is hot garbage.

Seriously, he's a pseudo-zombie with "magical" powers and an urn that can be used to command him, if it wasn't Mark Calaway behind the gimmick, it would have sank faster than a dead hooker in Lake Mead.

Look at the history of supernatural gimmicks, there is a reason that no other one has survived this long, (sans Kane, but tbh for the first 5 years that gimmick rode entirely off of Taker's)

Somehow Mark was able to take something that at it's core was totally ridiculous, and turned it into a legacy. I think had they given him a real gimmick, he could have done even better.

Say my name and his in the same breath, I dare you to say they taste they same.

The gimmick helped him as I dont think he would have been nearly as successful had he just been Mark Calloway, BUT, I believe he was the only man that could have made it work for half as long as it has, and his evolution of technical skills and leadership backstage has helped him gain the respect he deserves

the Gimmick was a platform, a canvase. Mark Calaway was the artist. to be artisticaly put (bah dum tsssh)