Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Very cool.

What inspired you to get into the whole smoker thing? Like, did you grow up around it, or was it something you saw off of television or whatever?

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9
    The Last Of Us: Remastered (PS4)- 10
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)- 8.5

In tha North Town, making "That Money Money...Yeah Yeah...That Money Money...Yeah Yeah"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    Very cool.

What inspired you to get into the whole smoker thing? Like, did you grow up around it, or was it something you saw off of television or whatever?
    I have always loved to grill since I was in my teens. After I thought I was a pro at grilling I wanted to try to push my self to try to do more and more. So first I started experimenting and perfecting my own rub and sauce. Then I wanted to try smoking and I am always trying to teach myself more.

"I am my own worst enemy, I'm not the smartest mutha fucka n shit and I don't pretend to be."

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPY LOCO1 View Post
    I have always loved to grill since I was in my teens. After I thought I was a pro at grilling I wanted to try to push my self to try to do more and more. So first I started experimenting and perfecting my own rub and sauce. Then I wanted to try smoking and I am always trying to teach myself more.
    Challenging yourself is key. I think any meal where you haven't incorporated a new ingredient or new technique into the preparation is sort of a missed opportunity. Coming away from the experience with a bit of food to eat is always good, but a bit of food with a side of knowledge is even better.

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Not much of a crazy back-story here. I just happen to love Asian flavors (Sesame oil, in particular, completely rocks my Casbah) and this particular marinade was born out of several other recipes that I came across online.

Ape's Kickin' Sesame-Soy Marinade (4th degree black belt in flavor)

1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
    1/2 Cup Scallions (finely chopped)
    4 tbsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
    4 tbsp. Packed Brown Sugar
    3 tbsp. Dark Sesame Oil
    2 tsp. Ginger (minced)
    2 tsp. Garlic (minced)
    2 tsp. Chili Peppers (minced)
    a couple of leaves of fresh Basil (cut into a chiffonade)

Again, simply combine all of your ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Place your flank steak(s) in a freezer bag and then add your marinade. Set in the fridge overnight.

This steak could of course be served on a buttered bed of rice or something similarly boring, but I would probably do something more along the lines of some "glass noodles" sauteed in brown butter with shallots, oyster mushrooms, and Thai Basil (regular Basil would work just as well in a pinch). Grilled zucchini, squash, and onions would work for a nice accompaniment on the side, effectively making for a sort of deconstructed Asian kabob.

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post

Is there anything sexier than freshly-carved meat piled on a wooden cutting surface?

Marinade recipes coming up...
    *droopy eyes*No ape, there isn't
    THIS MAN IS GOING TO BE TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION ONE DAY...

See, eboy knows what's up.

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Blog Entries
    3 words
    Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

Say my name and his in the same breath, I dare you to say they taste they same.

Blog Entries
    OK. so I'd say that my signature dish is Chinease 5 spice pork, with Egg fried rice. its a ken hom recipe and just little techniques, like pouring boiling water over the pork in order to keep it moist. and the way he cooks rice is brilliant, don't just boil it...

boil it,
    Drain it
    let it dry and cool
    then steam it,

sooooooo nice.
    THIS MAN IS GOING TO BE TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION ONE DAY...

Blog Entries
    My recipe for grape drink:

Sugar, Water, Purple. BOOM!

As you probably guessed, I'm not really into cooking. I just started learning how to bake salmon, cook ribs, boil rice. Basic stuff. So I'll be looking to learn a couple things from the masters and if a certain recipe intrigues me, I'll try it out and tell you guys what I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
    I'm attempting grilled tuna steaks tonight with a honey dijon rice wine vinegar soy marinade. I'll let you know how it goes. I would welcome any tuna or salmon steak recipes you might have to share.
    Alright, here's that bright, creamy baked salmon dish whose recipe I snagged from my dad and step-mom (it's her mom's recipe, I believe):

My Not-Grandma's Creamy Baked Salmon w/ Mustard and Dill

4 Filets of Salmon (roughly 6oz. apiece)
    1 Cup Sour Cream
    1/3 Cup of fresh Dill (finely chopped)
    3 tbsp. of a nice Hearty Mustard (a variety w/ dill and capers would be ideal)
    1 tbsp. Honey

Half a Lemon (zested and juiced)
    1 Shallot (minced)
    Salt (to taste)
    Fresh Cracked Black Pepper (to taste)

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place filets on a wire rack and pat dry with paper towels.

2. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Set half of the mixture aside to be served alongside the finished fish on the table, and liberally spoon the remaining half of the mixture atop your filets.

3. Place in your heated oven for roughly 20 minutes.

4. Remove from the oven and, well, enjoy! That's all there is to it.

*Serving Suggestion: Goes great alongside some potatoes gently roasted in duck-fat and tarragon.

Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9