Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Video Game Samples

Did you guys know that video game music and hip hop have blended together for many years? Im talking about music from your favorite video games being used for a hip hop crowd that most likely wouldn't recognize it's origin.. For instance, I do it all the time with my music..

Tombi(Tomba) 2 - Donglin Forest Cursed

And this is what we did with it..

The Eternal Champions Character Bios Theme:

DJ Uneek used that very song for Bone Thugs Eternal 1999 album:

Final Fantasy VII's Battle Theme:

It was used by New York rap pioneer, Kool G Rap

Chrono Trigger (Schala's Theme):

Wiz Khalifa did this sample on his Kush & Orange Juice project:

Recently Played (out of ten):
    Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)- 9.5
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)- 8
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

This sort of thing is fairly common in IDM and breakcore too

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

I just trip out on the stuff that im posting because it isn't music that's catered to gamers, the artists (besides myself) and the core audience most likely doesn't know that they are even from games.. I just wish VGM composers had more recognition, since snips and pieces of their compositions are used for another audience.. Because there's lots of Electronic and Nerdcore hip hop that samples the games, and their listeners come to them just for that niche.. But there is a humungous hip hop community that doesn't even recognize it..

@Supergoing:
    Yeah definitely, lots of Electronic music tends to go VGM.. I think a lot of people are attracted to it because they recognize the samples..

@The 16-Bit Moderator:
    What I like about Mega-Ran, is that he's actually got some mic skills, a lot of the rappers that tend to cater to the gamer crowd aren't as easy on the ears..

Yeah, my bad. I guess I sort of missed your gist before posting that Mega Ran stuff.

Watch Dogs (PS4)- 6.5
    Shovel Knight (Wii U
    )- 9

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Ape View Post
    Yeah, my bad. I guess I sort of missed your gist before posting that Mega Ran stuff.
    No bad at all, please feel free to post anything with Video Game samples, I just wanted to share why I posted the samples, my own wish for gaming composers to get more recognition.. This thread is for everything video game sample related though, so please keep sharing lol..