Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WWE has too many monsters....

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, and I know Vince MacMahon is high on these guys but the WWE currently has too many undefeatable monsters.

Big Show, Ryback, Brodus Clay, Tensai.

They're built up until they're inevitably fed to one of the top faces (or heels, as Brodus Clay was), and after that, their one-dimensional monster gimmick is less credible and they have nowhere to move except straight down to mid-card status. So a lot of midcards are sacrificed to these monsters but the end result is you end up with another forgettable mid-carder. Great Khali anyone?

I agree that at the moment it seems like there are to many monsters, but that is only because Raw and Smackdown! are combined at the moment. I think that if the WWE went to separate brands again it would feel different because WWE has always this many they were just spread out more. Usually two on one brand and two to three on another.

New wrestlers working the mid-card before achieving top draw success? Perish the thought!

...I'm not exactly sure where you're going with this. Big Show, I can see where you're going with that. He had a month of build, lost, and is back down to being irrelevant relative to how long he's been in the company. Brodus Clay, Ryback and Tensai however haven't even been on TV for a year yet. Yes there's a technicality there with Skip Sheffield and whatever Matt was doing before going to Japan, but as far as being repackaged, they're still in their first year. They're going to work the mid-card, gimmick or not. I'd rather have that than have a guy shoot right up to main event status unless they build him the right way(Goldberg for example but I'm not sure we're ready for another one of those right now).

Point taken Viperfish.

What I meant was I'm not against them taking main event status, it's just that their gimmicks are unsustainable in the long run, and once their aura is gone after putting over a SuperCena and such, there's nothing left in the creative think-tank for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Harvey View Post
    Point taken Viperfish.

What I meant was I'm not against them taking main event status, it's just that their gimmicks are unsustainable in the long run, and once their aura is gone after putting over a SuperCena and such, there's nothing left in the creative think-tank for them.
    kinda like mark henry? I was enjoying his hall of pain monster gimmick and it was working, then they fucked it up and he jobbed out for a while... when he was basically unstoppable for months, yeah that make sense way to stay consistent

Blog Entries
    It's because creative can't come up with anything good for them. I mean, you can only do a monster vs underdog, or a monster who beats everyone so many times. They should either hire some new writers, or stop pushing so many monsters at once. Ryback is someone who can be in the business for a while though.

Thats the circular of life in wwe though come up with a shit hot gimmick lasts about a year roughly and then they get released and another one comes. Its been happening for years not just lately but i will admit there is more of them now than ever before at the same time.

Blog Entries
    I think the monsters exist in WWE to get pushed to the moon for a few months to then put over one certain supertar and they get back to midcard and repeat the circle later

Blog Entries
    I much preferred back in the day when these monsters were but on the slow burn. They introduced them squashing jobbers, they'd work their way up to mid level feuds and titles and after some decent time be promoted to the top echelon of the roster. The Ultimate Warrior is a good example. They took literally 2 years to build him up towards the World title scene and they kept him hot the whole time.

WWE is like a comic book. Good vs evil. You need your monsters as your protagonist, so that your hero can over come the odds and slay him. You can argue there are one too many, but it would be boring if it was just The Big Show (believe me, its becoming that way since he has suddenly become part of the main even!). You need different monsters for different heroes to slay.

Cena will take care of Big Show
    HBK and Sid
    Undertaker and the Giant Gonzalez
    Hogan and Andre

Its a tale as old as time. The small face going over the giant heel after a long, arduous feud
    "INCE...INCE WILL TEAR YOU APART...AGAIN!"