Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Dolph Ziggler: Could He Be This Era's Ric Flair?

I know...because I am guilty of it myself...that many comparisons have been made between Dolph Ziggler & Mr. Perfect, & for obvious reasons. I can see, however, Dolph Ziggler being this generations version of the 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair: a cocky, talented heel champion that holds the major belts for a significant amount of time, becomes a major draw, wins matches he is supposed to & connives his way out of matches he may lose.

I am hoping Ziggler splits from Vickie Guerrero very soon, but remains heel & wins the WHC shortly thereafter. Although he has had Vickie as a mouthpiece, I see infinite potential in his promo-cutting skills from the few times he has let loose on the mic. Flair was not always the 'Ric Flair' that we know all came to know & love on the mic in his early years; he had to develop & grow into his role....something I can definitely see in Ziggler at this young point in his career (& yes, I know he was in the Spirit Squad, for any smarks that want to comment that his career isn't that young, blah blah blah).The 'Show-Off' gimmick is perfect for him, as it allows him to play into his over-the-top-cocky persona....just with a 21st century twist, in contrast to Flair's 80's 'jetsetter' persona. We also all know about his tremendous selling skills, also similar to Flair's ability to sell his opponent's moves. The selling of moves is really what bolstered Flair's character to the level it reached: You would see Flair get out-powered, out-manuveured, but still had the resolve to absorb so muc damage & still pull out the win, by hook or by crook, at the end. I can see Ziggler being a very similar champion & being that 'SuperHeel' the WWE needs to contrast the 4 face 'Supers' the WWE has now (Cena, Punk, Sheamus & Orton).

Curious to know what my IWC fam thinks...
    I am Rebel Lion. Come, now....I shall set you free!!

Blog Entries
    Overall, I think Ziggler is better than Curt Hennig. I also believe it is time for him to ditch Vickie, and it seems they are building towards that end. They are doing it slowly, which is the right way to do it. I watched a pre-show promo he did where he stopped Scott Stanford from speaking and was talking about his match with Sheamus. It was damn good. So he can carry a promo on his own. He is prone to promo mistakes, but when he has had someone do the talking for him, it is to be expected. He can only get better.
    The Future of the WWE Women's Division: Brittani Knight AKA Paige!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerinaine View Post
    Overall, I think Ziggler is better than Curt Hennig. I also believe it is time for him to ditch Vickie, and it seems they are building towards that end. They are doing it slowly, which is the right way to do it. I watched a pre-show promo he did where he stopped Scott Stanford from speaking and was talking about his match with Sheamus. It was damn good. So he can carry a promo on his own. He is prone to promo mistakes, but when he has had someone do the talking for him, it is to be expected. He can only get better.
    I won't go as far as to say Ziggler is better than Hennig, but he is more loose & fluid in the ring, whereas Hennig was more technical & deliberate in his motions. I do agree with you that Zigler has promo skills, no doubt. Hell, I've seen every wrestler flub a line or 2 in a promo, so no big deal there. Practice makes perfect, so the WWE really needs to keep a mic in his possession & allow those skills to develop.
    I am Rebel Lion. Come, now....I shall set you free!!

The thing is though the way WWE now there will not be a top heel, as soon as he starts getting over Vince will turn him face to sell more merc.

Anyway, I see him more like a heel christian not the one more match crap from last year, but I suppose if they do make flair his manager then he could teach him a few tricks, but ATM i don't really see it.

Mr. Perfect, Billy Gunn and now Ric Flair comparisons! Yeah Ziggler could definately have worse said about him! He is simply fantastic in ring and wwe needs to let him have some mic time. Watch his Download show and see him at work.

Dolph Ziggler has come a long way. He is more than ready to take that next step to the top. I agree with you about him breaking away from the threesome pack to be on his own. I think Ziggler has what it takes, and I think that his run with a huge championship will be top notch.
    Hey.. I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know.

#TeamDevs

Blog Entries
    Here is how I view Ziggler. he is a mix of Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, and Curt Hennig. He has the selling ability of Michaels, the charisma of Flair, and the in ring ability of Hennig. I think Lion has it spot on. I could see Ziggler easily being a face, but I see him being the perfect heel. I also would like to see him break out of the stable he is in now. he is past it imo

Ziggler is great in the ring but his persona is boring. There is absolutely nothing about him that makes him stand out. I cant see him drawing any real heat as a heel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanb93 View Post
    Ziggler is great in the ring but his persona is boring. There is absolutely nothing about him that makes him stand out. I cant see him drawing any real heat as a heel.
    I think that's because he hasn't had any time on the mic. I think if the WWE gave him a chance to speak, we'd love hating him lol

I just want him to be himself. Too many people are worried about making starts like the old ones. Just make new ones with their own personalities and so on. I want Ziggler to be the next Ziggler.