Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Metal & Rock Thread

I was just thinking the other day about how back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, it was looked on as forbidden in metal and rock bands for members to want to or go do side projects. There was this weirdly prevailing thought that each member had to be 100% committed to the one band and if you went and did something with other musicians it was treated like they'd cheated on a wife, broken some sort of contract.

Now I'm glad things have changed and bands can take hiatus' and do other things. It's made for some really good bands and music. Some of my personal favourites are Sixx A.M., Perry Farrell's Satellite Party and Slash's Snakepit.

Opinions?

I didn't even know Perry Ferrell had a side project. Torrenting that.

I've always been a death metaller/doom metaller at heart, but stoner rock is where it's at for me nowadays. It's maybe not as good a genre today as it was 5-10 years ago, but I just love the whole aesthetic of it... kinda this effortlessly cool old school hard rock with a heavy dash of psychedelia and trad doom. Badass like the old shit.

Fu

Furthermore, I've been listening to The Cult an awful lot lately. Everyone knows that Love and Electric are classic hard rock albums, but I'm really feeling that Sonic Temple is their masterwork.

Blog Entries
    Haha, Necro, you're preaching to the choir there. As a diehard Cult fan, Sonic Temple will always be their benchmark album in my opinion. Love was their breakthrough album, Electric broke them in the states and established them as a hard rock band but Sonic Temple was the peak of their conceptual songwriting.
    They've written some cool tunes since but not a whole albums worth all at once. Don't write them off though, Choice Of Weapon is due out soon, it could surprise us.

It wasn't so much a side project as something he did on a break from Jane's. Sixx A.M. was better than I expected, I really like DJ Ashba and I've really come to like the later Motley Crue stuff so I feel Nikki might be reaching his songwriting prime.

Haha, Stoner is the shit. Kyuss is like, it for me. Brant Bjork solo stuff is pretty good too

I wasn't really planning on getting Sixx A.M. since I hate Motley Crue, but it seems that many people (even Crue haters) are really praising the songwriting on RateYourMusic. Think I'll add that to my wishlist as well.

Brant Bjork is probably the only Kyuss-related band I haven't listened to yet, although I'm fairly sure I have one of his albums sitting in a hard drive somewhere. Unida and Yawning Man are VERY good.

In general though, I have a weird love/hate relationship with rock and metal just now, where I hate much more of it than I like. It's not even an elitism thing, it's just that my tastes have become really particular lately. It kinda sucks.

Dropping da japrock

Motorhead and Guns N' Roses are about as hard rock as it gets for me

I do like some AC DC and Alex Cooper though!

Wasn't really aware that it was forbidden but some bands (not just metal or rock) split over things like members wanting to take a break.

It probably is a good thing it happens these days in a genres of music, who wants to spend a long period of time touring with one of the Black Eyed Peas members

Remember when Lil Wayne released a rock album?

a milli a milli a milli a milli a milli a milli a milli a milli

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyeti View Post
    I wasn't really planning on getting Sixx A.M. since I hate Motley Crue, but it seems that many people (even Crue haters) are really praising the songwriting on RateYourMusic. Think I'll add that to my wishlist as well.

Brant Bjork is probably the only Kyuss-related band I haven't listened to yet, although I'm fairly sure I have one of his albums sitting in a hard drive somewhere. Unida and Yawning Man are VERY good.

In general though, I have a weird love/hate relationship with rock and metal just now, where I hate much more of it than I like. It's not even an elitism thing, it's just that my tastes have become really particular lately. It kinda sucks.

Dropping da japrock

Sixx A.M. is very influenced by DJ Ashba's style, which has a tinge of emo to it, but it works. I have to really say, Motley Crue are much better since Generation Swine. If you haven't been exposed to them since say, Dr.Feelgood, you're missing a completely different beast.

Saved By Magic is a good Brant Bjork album I'd recommend. He wrote some of my favourite Kyuss songs like Allen's Wrench, Green Machine & Whitewater.
    I liked all the John Garcia projects - SloBurn, Unida and Hermano. I still have a hard time believing that they couldn't get a record company to even release Unida's second album The Great Divide.

If you're anything like me Necro, you probably find the metal scene, just like the whole music industry is just too flooded with product. I didn't bother with the Alice In Chains reformation, although I was a huge Alice fan years ago. And there's just so much stuff that's just too....similar. I miss the days in the 80's and 90's where there was no more than 5 bands really dominating an genre and the rest just fell by the wayside. the biggest problem is anyone can throw an album down at home and put it out there. A flooded market = watered down product.
    So I just choose selectively now, I'm not too unhappy about that either. There's just too much to digest.

Now residing in an undisclosed location in Canada
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Austin View Post
    Motorhead and Guns N' Roses are about as hard rock as it gets for me

I do like some AC DC and Alex Cooper though!

Wasn't really aware that it was forbidden but some bands (not just metal or rock) split over things like members wanting to take a break.

It probably is a good thing it happens these days in a genres of music, who wants to spend a long period of time touring with one of the Black Eyed Peas members
    Who's Alex Cooper? Alice's son getting in the business?

Some old metal would likely be Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth etc.
    The Journey of 1000 Miles begins with a single step!

I'm starting to really like Slayer.