Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Please allow me to share my eternal intellect. I like the edge better than the PG crap, but I agree that it can be done right. Currently, it's not being done right. It's not really even the fact that it's PG, it's that it is directly marketed to kids. I remember years ago seeing PG episodes of Smackdown where you'd still see a Bra and Panties match and hear the words ASS and DAMN. You see that stuff on other PG programming now. The big 'E is alienating anyone who's balls have dropped. Even before the "PG Era" you didn't (or at least I didn't) go around flaunting to be a wrestling fan, because it's generally considered a childish thing by those not willing to view it objectively. It's way worse now, and I'm older now so even more so.

TNA at least has the edge I miss, and while I think the matches are far and beyond WWE's for the most part (although, their match quality has seen a decline in recent years) but they don't have the production value, polish, and writing that WWE does. At the bottom line, I watch more for the matches and storyline takes a back seat, but both are still important and one can help make up the shortcomings of the other.

Ah, PPVs. I feel like 8 a year is the perfect number, and the price needs to come down. With UFC as competition, sometimes the day before, they need to realize 50 bucks on a PPV that could end up being balls (I'm looking at you HIAC) is far too ridiculous. I'm a fan of the 4 big PPVs costing $40, and the minor 4 costing $30. This gives RAW and SD more time to extend feuds (and title runs, more on that later). It forces creative to take things slower, have to plan further ahead, and ultimately put more effort into a product that is going to be better in quality. It seems like crack addled ADD chimps are writing these storylines sometimes. I will say the Nexus storyline is probably one of the best written storylines since, oh I don't know, the brand separation?

Title runs, much to short these days. I remember when it seemed like Kurt Angle would never lose the title. I remember waiting for my friend to tell me the next day at school the results of the HIAC with Kurt, HHH, The Rock, Stone Cold, Undertaker, and Rikishi(lol). I was a "mark" at the time and was SHOCKED that Angle retained. I hated him, but I started respecting him after that. THAT IS HOW YOU BUILD A SUPERSTAR. You make them seem larger than life and unbeatable. They hold their title FOR A LONG TIME. So when they do lose it it's a surprise, and you gain respect for the person that knocked them off the top. And also, more clean finishes please. DQs and interference lose their meaning and shock value when it happens at least once an episode.

Sorry for the long post, it's my first one and I've pretty much lurked these boards (I'VE BEEN WATCHING YOU ALL) since they went up. Figured it was about time to say something.

Quote Originally Posted by IPOOPINTHEBATH View Post
    Please allow me to share my eternal intellect. I like the edge better than the PG crap, but I agree that it can be done right. Currently, it's not being done right. It's not really even the fact that it's PG, it's that it is directly marketed to kids. I remember years ago seeing PG episodes of Smackdown where you'd still see a Bra and Panties match and hear the words ASS and DAMN. You see that stuff on other PG programming now. The big 'E is alienating anyone who's balls have dropped. Even before the "PG Era" you didn't (or at least I didn't) go around flaunting to be a wrestling fan, because it's generally considered a childish thing by those not willing to view it objectively. It's way worse now, and I'm older now so even more so.

TNA at least has the edge I miss, and while I think the matches are far and beyond WWE's for the most part (although, their match quality has seen a decline in recent years) but they don't have the production value, polish, and writing that WWE does. At the bottom line, I watch more for the matches and storyline takes a back seat, but both are still important and one can help make up the shortcomings of the other.

Ah, PPVs. I feel like 8 a year is the perfect number, and the price needs to come down. With UFC as competition, sometimes the day before, they need to realize 50 bucks on a PPV that could end up being balls (I'm looking at you HIAC) is far too ridiculous. I'm a fan of the 4 big PPVs costing $40, and the minor 4 costing $30. This gives RAW and SD more time to extend feuds (and title runs, more on that later). It forces creative to take things slower, have to plan further ahead, and ultimately put more effort into a product that is going to be better in quality. It seems like crack addled ADD chimps are writing these storylines sometimes. I will say the Nexus storyline is probably one of the best written storylines since, oh I don't know, the brand separation?

Title runs, much to short these days. I remember when it seemed like Kurt Angle would never lose the title. I remember waiting for my friend to tell me the next day at school the results of the HIAC with Kurt, HHH, The Rock, Stone Cold, Undertaker, and Rikishi(lol). I was a "mark" at the time and was SHOCKED that Angle retained. I hated him, but I started respecting him after that. THAT IS HOW YOU BUILD A SUPERSTAR. You make them seem larger than life and unbeatable. They hold their title FOR A LONG TIME. So when they do lose it it's a surprise, and you gain respect for the person that knocked them off the top. And also, more clean finishes please. DQs and interference lose their meaning and shock value when it happens at least once an episode.

Sorry for the long post, it's my first one and I've pretty much lurked these boards (I'VE BEEN WATCHING YOU ALL) since they went up. Figured it was about time to say something.
    *clap* *clap* *clap*

Top post!!!

My sentiments pretty much exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by IPOOPINTHEBATH View Post
    I remember years ago seeing PG episodes of Smackdown where you'd still see a Bra and Panties match and hear the words ASS and DAMN.
    PG Episodes of Smackdown during the Attitude era? I think your memories aren't that clear, but everything else is true that.

I'm talking between 2001 (when I started watching, and yes I've mostly caught up on wrestling history) and 2005. IMO, the Attitude Era ended shortly after the Monday Night Wars did. It is quite possible my memory is hazy, but I thought I recalled seeing that stupid little PG in the corner, at least on occasion.

The only good thing right now is Orton.