Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The state of wrestling

After growing up watching WCW and seeing guys like Hogan, Nash, Macho man, Hall, Flair, Goldberg etc etc etc tear down the house wherever they went and seeing factions like NWO run riot and destroy anyone in their path it makes me kinda sad to see the state that wrestling has become,

Its all very well bashing guys like Hogan and Flair for sticking around so long but lets face it is there really any alternative??

I'm lost trying to think of a solution to get the "good old days" back and quite frankly the products we see now are, well, bollocks in comparison,

Anyone got any good ideas how we can replace these stale products with something we look forward to watching every week again???????

Off the top of my head:

Get rid of the PG rating and get the edge back.

Push guys with talent. That means equally spotlighting smaller guys who can really wrestle instead of just pushing the big guys or the older guys.

Likewise, get the dead weight off TV. Get rid of the bad workers regardless of their size, looks, or tenure.

Use the older guys more wisely by having them put over the younger guys or be mentors as opposed to hogging the main event spotlight.

Get more people in the championship mix instead of the same 4 guys week after week.

Push the women's division, but push women who can actually work not the women who look good but can't wrestle.

More wrestling, less soap opera. How about 4 wrestling matches in the first hour of a show as opposed to two short matches and 45 minutes of drama and chatter.

Less PPV's. People can't afford them all and there isn't time to build to make them special.

Bring back Tag Teams in a prominent role.

Give titles other than the Champoionship more prestige and importance so we can care about the guys holding those belts again.

Of course having reviewed this list I don't see any of these things happenning in the near future.
    Last edited by vbirwin; 11-05-2010 at 08:52 AM.

I have been a fan of wrestling since 1991 and I am sorry to say that I dont even watch it a lot anymore, i have not watched an episode of raw or samckdown from start to finish in over 5 years and a lot of it is because the story telling oin the matches is almost non existant. Now, I know that everything does change and evolve and I am not pining for the good ole days but is any one else tired of the silent crowds and piss poor story lines that gives an hour and a half of backstage segments and about ten minutes of wrestling? I grew up as a kid watching quality wrestlers like : Hennig, Hart, Steamboat,Michaels, Rude,Jake Roberts and Savage to name a few and it seems that today's "superstars" have no clue how to capture the emotion and drama within a match except a few who are either retired or have died. I have hundreds of old matches/events on tape from the Big two companies and I get more excited and into the match then I have since about 2003!!!

Yea, i don't think the teens and 20 something remember how good wrestling used to be, instead of this watered down reality show version we get today. The action is super weak, the "new superstars" are lame. Only one's that are impressive is C.M. Punk and Ziggler. And that Scottish kid is totally lame. The chosen one my ass. I really like Vladimir Koslov, but talk about misuse of an asset. Smackdown is at least watchable at times. RAW and TNA are barely worth watching 10 minutes out of two hours. Although I do tune in to see how fine Tara(formerly Victoria) and Madison Rayne are. All we're getting are quick short practiced terrible matches who gets a thumbs down in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by PersonalPet98 View Post
    Yea, i don't think the teens and 20 something remember how good wrestling used to be, instead of this watered down reality show version we get today.
    Not lookin for a fight dude, but im 23 and ive sepnt most fo my life cathin up on raaaaastlin that i was born to late to watch when it happened! and still do to be honest! but yeah i agree som "young buck" dont know there born, but dont generalise thanks! But yeah i agree with the points in your statement!

I don't consider TNA stale...just young. The best that can happen for either organization is for them to produce another group of charismatic superstars like The Rock, Stone Cold, Undertaker, DX...etc.

More specifically in the case of the WWE, they need to drop the PG stuff, book better matches and rivalries, push the right people, and give their superstars room to use their own personal creativity to entertain fans. That's something that the attitude era had that this one doesn't...most of the Superstars are just acting out a character they are assigned to by the creative team instead of highlighting/exaggerating some portion of their own personality. CM Punk is an exception to this.
    The IWC is to TNA what the Republicans are to Obama: No matter how much good they do...as soon as they're shown to be less than perfect, the other claims that they just can't get anything right.

Banned
    In an old van with no windows, passing out free candy.
    Quote Originally Posted by vbirwin View Post
    Off the top of my head:

Get rid of the PG rating and get the edge back.

Push guys with talent. That means equally spotlighting smaller guys who can really wrestle instead of just pushing the big guys or the older guys.

Likewise, get the dead weight off TV. Get rid of the bad workers regardless of their size, looks, or tenure.

Use the older guys more wisely by having them put over the younger guys or be mentors as opposed to hogging the main event spotlight.

Get more people in the championship mix instead of the same 4 guys week after week.

Push the women's division, but push women who can actually work not the women who look good but can't wrestle.

More wrestling, less soap opera. How about 4 wrestling matches in the first hour of a show as opposed to two short matches and 45 minutes of drama and chatter.

Less PPV's. People can't afford them all and there isn't time to build to make them special.

Bring back Tag Teams in a prominent role.

Give titles other than the Champoionship more prestige and importance so we can care about the guys holding those belts again.

Of course having reviewed this list I don't see any of these things happenning in the near future.
    Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. First I think your forgetting its no longer pro wrestling its pro rasslin A.K.A sports entertainment.
    1 point) PG isn't going away, its here to stay and I don't think its necessarily a bad thing if done right.

2 point) if you don't have talent or sell shit you will not get a push

3 point)bad workers don't make it to the big time and if they do, they don't last

4 point)established guys make you watch longer and you know what your going to get

5)maybe some talent really isn't good enough to be in the championship spotlight. When the lights are shinning bright, most people fail

6)I LOVE HOT WOMEN, I don't give a shit if they can wrestle or not. LET THE PIGEONS LOOSE

7)Once again its sports entertainment, not pro wresting anymore

8)PPV are special and people will pay for them if you give them a reason. creative needs to be creative

9) very few people give a flying shit about tag teams. This isn't the 80's anymore.

10)I can probably count 5 rasslin fans in the history of the US or intercontinental championship belt that actually gave a shit about them or who wore them.
    I should be a or am I.
    U MAD???
    Last edited by IPEEINTHESHOWER; 11-05-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Under the ring before big show tears it down.
    ipeeintheshower made an interesting point specially number 6 lol

Quote Originally Posted by IPEEINTHESHOWER View Post
    Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. First I think your forgetting its no longer pro wrestling its pro rasslin A.K.A sports entertainment.
    1 point) PG isn't going away, its here to stay and I don't think its necessarily a bad thing if done right.

2 point) if you don't have talent or sell shit you will not get a push

3 point)bad workers don't make it to the big time and if they do, they don't last

4 point)established guys make you watch longer and you know what your going to get

5)maybe some talent really isn't good enough to be in the championship spotlight. When the lights are shinning bright, most people fail

6)I LOVE HOT WOMEN, I don't give a shit if they can wrestle or not. LET THE PIGEONS LOOSE

7)Once again its sports entertainment, not pro wresting anymore

8)PPV are special and people will pay for them if you give them a reason. creative needs to be creative

9) very few people give a flying shit about tag teams. This isn't the 80's anymore.

10)I can probably count 5 rasslin fans in the history of the US or intercontinental championship belt that actually gave a shit about them or who wore them.
    I should be a or am I.
    U MAD???
    Said like a true WWE mark. Because everything is just simply "flawless" with the WWE's approach to things, right? I didn't see one statement saying that there is any need for improvement. If you believe there isn't, my initial accusation is dead on.

I think you write things because you amuse yourself or for shock value. Dude, you're way off base when it comes to 9 and 10! Some of the best heavy weight champions are those who excelled on the mid-card level. The IC belt division is the best way to gage the talent on that portion of the roster. Also, some of the most talented wrestlers have came out the tag team division: Shawn Michaels, Triple H, The Hardy Boys, The Dudley Boys, Edge and Christian, The Motor City Machine Guns, etc. For you to make those statements alone shows you know little to nothing about PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING. As far as PPVs goes, the issue of having 2 of them a month is that everything on the weekly programming becomes all about building up the matches that are going to be on the next PPV event...not investing time and creativity into the actual weekly shows themselves.

btw, no you would not make a good lawyer
    Last edited by Xpacfan; 11-05-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    The IWC is to TNA what the Republicans are to Obama: No matter how much good they do...as soon as they're shown to be less than perfect, the other claims that they just can't get anything right.

Banned
    In an old van with no windows, passing out free candy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpacfan View Post
    Said like a true WWE mark. Because everything is just simply "flawless" with the WWE's approach to things, right? I didn't see one statement saying there is any need for improvement. If you believe there isn't, my initial accusation is dead on.

I think you write things because you amuse yourself or for shock value. Dude, you're way off base when it comes to 9 and 10! Some of the best heavy weight champions are those who exceled on the mid-card. The IC belt division is the best way to gage the talent on that portion of the roster. Also, some of the most talented wrestlers have came out the tag team division: The Hardy Boys, The Dudley Boys, Edge and Christian, The Motor City Machine Guns, etc. For you to make those statements alone shows you know little to nothing about PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING.

btw, no you would not make a good lawyer
    Well, Hello SPRINKLER A.K.A. Xpacfan. First if your going to post something post it and dont delete part of it. Put your big boy pants on and let someone comment on your views.I never said everything in the WWE was I was just stating a different opinion. I believe you need to put on your because I stated creative needs to be more creative.
    Thank you for taking the time to read my post. You are right on one thing, I don't know jack shit about pro wrestling, my infinite wisdom is on pro rasslin. U MAD???
    Last edited by IPEEINTHESHOWER; 11-05-2010 at 02:12 PM.