Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Has Nexus made THE impact

I open this thread to ask- has Nexus become the group people will talk about in 5-10 years time?
    I started watching wrestling in 2005, but I have neard the term nWo coined a few times. I think i get what the group was about, but they are talked about still today. What made the nWo such a talk about topic?
    Has Nexus done this? Will it endure the test of times and be topic people talk about when we see these young stars in their prime years?

The nWo was a group that gave WCW dominance for the longest time in the Monday Night Wars. It was so successful, people have tried to recreate it or bring it back. It took the idea of an invasion and made it an interesting storyline. But the longer it lasted, the longer people got sick of it.

I believe the reason nWo is talked about for so long is because it is the best and worst example of an invasion angle. From the beginning, it was the greatest storyline of the Monday Night Wars. When it started to get downhill, it became the reason people left in droves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rassling_Fan View Post
    The nWo was a group that gave WCW dominance for the longest time in the Monday Night Wars. It was so successful, people have tried to recreate it or bring it back. It took the idea of an invasion and made it an interesting storyline. But the longer it lasted, the longer people got sick of it.

I believe the reason nWo is talked about for so long is because it is the best and worst example of an invasion angle. From the beginning, it was the greatest storyline of the Monday Night Wars. When it started to get downhill, it became the reason people left in droves.
    Very well put.
    I'd rather have nothing than have a lie.

The Nexus has been a good angle but I think it has just about run it's course. They may be remembered because they were upstarts who made an impression but they won't be remembered as an elite faction like the NWO or the 4 Horsemen. What made those groups great was that every member of the group was an elite established respected wrestler who was a dominant singles wrestler outside the group. Nexus doesn't have that at all outside of maybe Barrett. The original NWO lineup was Nash, Hall, and Hogan. The original horsemen were Flair, The Andersons, and Blanchard. Compare those names to the Nexus with guys like Otunga, Slater, Tarver and Darren Young. There is no comparison at all. Nexus is a nice flash in the pan but with the exception of one or two I doubt most of the guys in Nexus will even be around WWE in two years.

Also the start of the NWO was hogan turning his back on Randy Savage and turning heel, seeing as he was one of the most popular stars in wrestling at the time, it was massive when it happened, people saw it as judas and a betrayal, thats why that is still talked about, not to mention several rehashes of the NWO in WCW, WWE and TNA to get people to talk about it
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior View Post
    That's Awesome...I think you just stomped the nuts of the entire IWC with this comment. A thing of beauty.

Banned
    In an old van with no windows, passing out free candy.
    Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. The NEXUS angle is the best NEW angle in pro rasslin in YEARS. I don't think its fair to compare the NEXUS to NWO for the reason's already stated. The NEXUS is up and comers, fresh meat if you will. Most of the greats in pro rasslin are getting up there in age and nobody wants to see them go to the ring in a wheelchair (are you listening TNA). I'm not saying all the members of NEXUS will be in the main event at Wrestlemania but they are getting better in the ring and in promo's, Vince being the teacher is just the thing they need to get over. Now if only the WWE will get rid of those stupid and come up with a better one, people might just buy them. U MAD???

Quote Originally Posted by IPEEINTHESHOWER View Post
    Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. The NEXUS angle is the best NEW angle in pro rasslin in YEARS. I don't think its fair to compare the NEXUS to NWO for the reason's already stated. The NEXUS is up and comers, fresh meat if you will. Most of the greats in pro rasslin are getting up there in age and nobody wants to see them go to the ring in a wheelchair (are you listening TNA). I'm not saying all the members of NEXUS will be in the main event at Wrestlemania but they are getting better in the ring and in promo's, Vince being the teacher is just the thing they need to get over. Now if only the WWE will get rid of those stupid and come up with a better one, people might just buy them. U MAD???

???

Banned
    In an old van with no windows, passing out free candy.
    Thanks silverGhost for showing me a new NEXUS shirt, I haven't seen it before. It's an improvement but did you have show the LIFE SIZE PICTURE OF IT???

There were so many things that made the nWo angle work. The first of which was the invasion. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash showing up on WCW programming was a surprise to many people and drew a lot of attention. The aforemention Hogan heel turn was not just a key factor, it was monumental. Until that point, Hogan was the greatest super-face of all time. His turn was unthought of by most and it shook the foundation of a lot of viewers.

One thing that made the angle work so well, and what kept WCW on top of the ratings for more than 3 years, was the speechlessness and constant speculation of Sting. He's the most popular wrestler in history to have never wrestled for McMahon. This one man would hang out in the rafters and attack the nWo at key moments. Sometimes he would take out every member by himself, sometimes he would be left lying in the ring. But you never knew what was going to happen or if Sting would even show up.

I think WWE has tried, at least to some degree, to make Cena their version of Sting.

Sorry for having to use multiple posts to comment on this, but my phone greatly limits how many characters I can use in a post.

While these things worked for nWo, the Nexus angle is different. The first Raw episode when Nexus made their initial impact was the best episode of Raw in years. A major difference in the angles is that the nWo relied on a large number of previously established stars joining this super-heel group. Some of them were turning heel for the first time in their careers. However, Nexus is about a bunch of young guys uniting in order to overcome the struggle of making it in the business. These guys are young and hungry and are willing to do whatever it takes to make their impact. That's what is so attractive about the angle. That's what makes it so good. You get to watch and see how far these guys will go to make sure that their names are part of the wrestling history books.