Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Thread!

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Desktop Thread!

Let's get a desktop thread going!

Post your current desktop (No cleaning!!!) and we will rate and help you with recommendations for making it beautiful.

Pic Related: My desktop!

Tools
    I'd recommend the following for Windows:

Fences

Rope off your desktop
    Fences allows you to create shaded areas on your desktop that you can place icons in. You can label them however you wish, and move/resize them anywhere on the desktop. Pre-included layouts help speed the process for new users.

See your wallpaper again! Quickly hide & show all your icons with an easy double-click
    Double click blank space on your desktop, and all your icons will fade out. Double click again, and they’ll return. We think this feature is so useful and unique, that we’ve applied for a patent on it. You can even pick icons and individual Fences to exclude!

Create snapshots, and have automatic scaling (for screen size changes)
    Take and restore snapshots of your Fence layouts for backup, or for when you are doing different tasks. Change your resolution for playing games and Fences will keep them in the same relative spots. In the Pro version of Fences, the "snapshot" feature has been enhanced to automatically take and keep recent snapshots on hand, ensuring your desktop layout never gets lost.

http://www.stardock.com/products/

Rainlendar

Rainlendar is a customizable calendar application which stays out of your way
    but keeps all your important events and tasks always visible on your desktop.

http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php

Rainmeter

Rainmeter displays customizable skins, like memory and battery power, RSS feeds and weather forecasts, right on your desktop. Many skins are even functional: they can record your notes and to-do lists, launch your favorite applications, and control your media player - all in a clean, unobtrusive interface that you can rearrange and customize to your liking. Rainmeter is at once an application and a toolkit. You are only limited by your imagination and creativity.

http://rainmeter.net/cms/

ObjectDock
    ObjectDock basically gives you a nicer task bar. On Win7 you cannot completely get rid of the task bar with any of this software, but you can hide it (and it rarely pops up).

You can have anything from a nice Mac look bar to anything you desire.

Stardock.com/products

For various skins and themes for these programmes, you can find them at Customize.org - There's also plenty on DeviantArt to my knowledge!

I don't make full use of Rainlendar and Fences, but they are handy to have if you like to keep desktop icons etc. and keep organised for those of us who have busy lifestyles.

I can't say much for Mac as I don't use one and their look is pretty slick anyway.

Most Propaganda is taken from the websites - I'll help as much as I can with issues, but I'm new to this myself!

Anyway, happy clearing of desktops to you - It'll feel better when you join the clean Desktop master race!

Last edited by JSullivan; 04-17-2012 at 01:34 PM.

I A M A P A U L H E Y M A N G U Y

Here's mine
    S.E. Zero is now Luizero. Look him up

Shit just got REAL!

Yeah, my shitty netbook has windows 7 starter, which doesn't allow changing your desktop!!
    Last edited by Tomsta666; 04-17-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S.E. Zero View Post

Here's mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsta666 View Post
    Shit just got REAL!

Yeah, my shitty netbook has windows 7 starter, which doesn't allow changing your desktop!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Tartarus View Post
    Buy now?!

Does not compute!
    You should all consider downloading said programmes. They are FREE and there is 'pro' or upgrade versions which costs, but ignore those.

As for not being able to edit it, you should be able to with these programmes - try them out. If it doesn't work, you've lost nothing.

What's the background Zero?

this is my workstation irl

no but seriously my desktop is pretty bog-standard, pretty much only use it as a dumping ground for downloads before I file them away neatly

mine is pretty much like necro's... except I don't put it away neatly

Quote Originally Posted by JSullivan View Post
    What's the background Zero?
    Dark Siders video game drawing.
    S.E. Zero is now Luizero. Look him up

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S.E. Zero View Post
    Dark Siders video game drawing.
    Nice, Nice. I like the art!